Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    i only read maybe half of it. Its good reading material.

But, that is for vacant places. Human confort is not addressed in that study. And most of our discussion has been about human comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

So from this thread, I think I have learned that the VisionPRO IAQ w/out dehumidifier, might be the worst t-stat setup for my home.

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    So from this thread, I think I have learned that the VisionPRO IAQ w/out dehumidifier, might be the worst t-stat setup for my home.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Why?
    all the short cycling not being optimal for the compressor life and then the added humidity levels compound it.

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    all the short cycling not being optimal for the compressor life and then the added humidity levels compound it.
    What does that have to do with the t-stat? I believe that you can adjust the cycles on that VisionPro. Short cycling occurs from oversizing the a/c system, not from a t-stat.

You be fine with the IAQ.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You be fine with the IAQ.
    Is that Lancaster ghetto talk?

Lazy fingers.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    So, may I assume that you condone allowing a home to increase in temperature? Are you saying that mold growth will not be promoted with higher temperatures due to humidity issues? Are all of the people with vacation homes in Florida and other Gulf regions who have their cooling systems being controlled with humidistats while the homes are unoccupied wrong? Are you saying that the humidity level of the air does not increase in percentage as the temperature of that air decreases in temperature?
    I do condone allowing homes increase in temperature. High temperature with <50%RH does not grow mold. High %RH at the surface of any organic surface grows mold. The problem is not on the rise in temperature because the %RH declines +2%RH for 1^F rise. The problem occurs on the fall of the surface temperatures. As the temperature declines during cool weather or evenings, the indoor temperature declines to near outdoor temperatures. This equates to approaching 100%RH at the cool surfaces. In a couple days of high %RH, mold grows. I do not condone homes exceeding 60%RH for more than a couple days. A dehumidifier lowers the dew point of the air without cooling the air. The a/c lowers dew point but also lowers the temperature. Because of the point you make about the %RH rising when the temperature declines,--You can not cool your way out of a humidity problem with conventional a/c without a heavy cooling load. As the indoor temperature decreases, the movement of outdoor moisture to the inside, increases. Heating a home repels moisture, cooling attracts moisture. Therefore keep the home as warm as comfortable decreases %RH. An unoccupied home is safe, as long as the %RH at the structural surface are less than 60%RH. <50%RH is insurance. Why cool it, when removing moisture will serve the purpose. During wet cool weather over-cooling has a potiential for humidity problems.

Here is first FL home experience. New house, no problem first winter. First summer, mold problem in whole house. The t-stat set at 80^F. Next year added dehumdistat to the t-stat. Mold only is the closets. The next year, a whole house dehumidifier was installed and the t-stat set at 85^F. The humidity never exceed 55%RH. This eliminated mold and musty odors throughout the home and reduced utility cost $385 for the summer. I have fixed many FL homes with mold problems since. Some of the premium home builders in FL are install whole house dehus in every home.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    So,
    I don't care to get into a battle of sales hype data vs common sense and real issues. If there is humidity in the air, it is going to be absorbed into the materials that air comes in contact with. Also, the 90 degree with 40% humidity is not really a very good example of humid conditions.
    The lower the %RH at the surface of home type materials, the lower the potiential for mold growth. I came down the same path you are on. The first time I my common sense was challenge, I also bucked up a little. Investigate this further, I have 18 years into this and still learning. This is solid science. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    i only read maybe half of it. Its good reading material.

But, that is for vacant places. Human confort is not addressed in that study. And most of our discussion has been about human comfort.
    I see alot of post on energy use with no mention of comfort. Everything had posts about vacant places so am I taking this wrong? You don't seem like a guy that would play favorites.

IAQ has been mentioned along with temperture setback and humidity concerns. The absolute point I was trying to get conveyed through a neutral 3rd party was that it's ok to let the home warm up.

Actually, I don't remember too much being said about vacant properties.
    Although they're may have been some that I just skimmed through and didn't realize they were talking about vacants.

Here, you might want to read through some of this thread.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=173074
    Contractor locator map

We have that problem two seasons a year you wake up in the morning and its 70f and the RH exceeds 90 percent. (droop does not help and you need the sun to provide sensible load so the air conditioner will run) So if you want to control the humidity this portion of the year you either reheat or dehumidify.

i use reheat and my A/C.
    I turn on all the computers, TVs, and half the lights, then turn on the A/C.
    Contractor locator map

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast