Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting ready for install?

I thought I saw a thread title concerning this recently, but I was unable to locate it, so I need to ask again.

My install is scheduled for this coming Wednesday. Other than making sure the area of the install is clean and uncluttered, is there anything else I should do to get ready for the install? Is there any reason to shut down the system before they get here? Would a cooler with bottled water and soft drinks help with the attitude of the installers?

Thanks,
    Bill M.

clean uncluttered work area!!! cooler full of soda and water!!!!! I wish all home owners were as thoughtfull as you.

Bill you will give them a good attitude

When you treat people good they will do good work for you. If you help by keeping stuff out of their way. Maybe if anything else you can see will help, without getting in way.
    Do it right the first time.

WOW!!! Pedicure and a foot massage, just kidding. Sounds good, I would definately be in a good mood with a cooler loaded with water and gatoraid.

Quote Originally Posted by coo tech View Post
    WOW!!! Pedicure and a foot massage, just kidding. Sounds good, I would definately be in a good mood with a cooler loaded with water and gatoraid.
    What about beer?J/K
    Yea they should be greatful.

Where are you located???? Where is your system located?????

Sounds kinda crazy but if system is in unconditioned space, have some fans and extension cords ready to help keep em cool.

Cooler or fridge full of refreshments. Keep em hydrated. Its soooo important now that its summer. Also, some snacks would be nice too. If you really want to get on their good side and make em happy, make em lunch. Maybe fire up the grill for just some hotdogs and hamgurgers. Its always nice to get some good food from a appreciative customer. Another real good idea in this aspect would be to load a cooler with icewater. And put some small dishtowels in it. So that when they need to cool off. You have COLD wet towels for them to wipe down with.

Clean the area up. Do not turn the system off before they get there. If anything, turn it down extra low night before to get the house as cool as possible. Makes for better working conditions.

Have area around outside clean and a clear path to get there. If you can, allow installers to pull truck around to outdoor units. Makes for easier offloading and less walking.

Basically, try to put yourself in their shoes. What would you really appreciate.

Im sure theres more ideas that will come along. But thats all that comes to mind offhand. Just be nice, offer food and refreshments, and offer a hand if they need it.

You could also try to call the contractor Monday and find out who is doing the install. And get the message to them not to worry about bringing drinks or food, that you will supply them with whatever they want when they get there.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Iraq, thanks for the suggestions! The home is located in Winston-Salem NC. The furnace/coil are in the garage area of the house. So it's unconditioned, but it tends to stay somewhat cool in there. But I imagine with the garage doors opened all day it will get warmer than usual in there.

I'll definitely try to do as many of your suggestions as possible. Even though I'm paying quite a bit (far from lowest bid), I want to do everything possible to help the odds of getting a good install.

RDP, I thought about mentioning beer in my original post as a joke. lol But I didn't want you other installers to get jealous.

coo tech, I might have to draw the line at foot rubs, even tho Im the foot xxxxin' master lol (A little Pulp Fiction reference there.)

i wish all furnaces and airhandlers were in the garage usally have to carry it up the stairs then up into the attic

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    Iraq, thanks for the suggestions! The home is located in Winston-Salem NC. The furnace/coil are in the garage area of the house. So it's unconditioned, but it tends to stay somewhat cool in there. But I imagine with the garage doors opened all day it will get warmer than usual in there.

I'll definitely try to do as many of your suggestions as possible. Even though I'm paying quite a bit (far from lowest bid), I want to do everything possible to help the odds of getting a good install.

RDP, I thought about mentioning beer in my original post as a joke. lol But I didn't want you other installers to get jealous.

coo tech, I might have to draw the line at foot rubs, even tho Im the foot xxxxin' master lol (A little Pulp Fiction reference there.)
    Remember that word of mouth goes a long way. And believe it or not, we talk about our customers between techs and installers, just as you do us between friends and family.

Its always best to be known as a good customer. It will promote a good relationship between you and your contractor. And that means gold later on down the line.

Glad to see your not going low ball on the install. Its always best to get the best you can. Especially on something this important. Very vital.

Since your AH is in the garage, another suggestion would be this. We had a customer do this for us at my last company. They had a second small old fridge. They packed it to the gills with drinks, snacks, tastycakes, sandwiches, and filled the freezer section will ice and ice cream. Told us when we got there that the fridge in the garage was all for us. Come and get it, don't be shy......

Worked 2 fold. We got taken care of during the 2 day install and we weren't in and out of the house. we had everything we needed right there beside us. Just worked out well.....

Oh and BEER is an excellent idea. Don't give it to them until they leave. And be sure to follow all the federal laws. But most of us are beer drinkers. We like to enjoy a cold one after a long day. And nothin beats free beer after a long day at work.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

My new system is being installed this Thursday, so this thread is very timely. Will make sure to follow the suggestions here for the crew.

I have one of those portable mister systems for the patio. Thought I would hook it up outside near the condenser so they can turn it on to cool themselves if they like.

Is SELFEMPLOYED doing the install ?
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Is SELFEMPLOYED doing the install ?
    No, I wasn't aware he worked in this area before the decision. If I did, I would have been happy to let him bid on the job.

No, I wasn't aware he worked in this area before the decision. If I did, I would have been happy to let him bid on the job.

If you don't mind me asking, what company is installing your new unit? I live in the same area that you do. What made you choose this particular company? Did they perform the necessary manual j and/or manual d calculations?

Good luck with the install! I hope everything turns out well. I believe that the fact you will be treating the installers so well will pay big dividends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast