Thread: Increased life on compressor....?

Post Likes

Increased life on compressor....?

Been in the biz for 10+ years, I am installing a new R410A for my own house would putting a liquid solenoid on and letting it go into pumpdown mode when the thermostat satisfies would allow the compressor an easier time on startup thus allowing for less wear and tear on the compressor? Or would installing a crankcase regulator on the suction line be a better way?

It's a Copeland Scroll compressor, I forgot if did or didn't matter if the scroll is under equalized pressures it would startup the same. That scroll would startup the same whether equalized or not.

Thanks for your input!

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Tell me why you think these things will be an improvement

Because it sure seems to me that both would do the opposite of your claimed intention.

PHM
    -------------

Quote Originally Posted by bubbahotemp View Post
    Been in the biz for 10+ years, I am installing a new R410A for my own house would putting a liquid solenoid on and letting it go into pumpdown mode when the thermostat satisfies would allow the compressor an easier time on startup thus allowing for less wear and tear on the compressor? Or would installing a crankcase regulator on the suction line be a better way?

It's a Copeland Scroll compressor, I forgot if did or didn't matter if the scroll is under equalized pressures it would startup the same. That scroll would startup the same whether equalized or not.

Thanks for your input!
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I don't feel either application will prolong the life of your compressor. The suction regulator is designed to regulate in a multiple evaporator application. Making the system pump down is to keep liquid from migrating back to the compressor causing slugging. I dont feel in a residential application that would apply. A crankcase heater will protect from this migration in your application.

Post Likes
    You don't need to add any of that stuff.

Just like a comprssor in a refrigeration system. Long run cycles prolong the life of the compressor of an A/C system.
    So don't oversize your A/C.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

If you want to increase the life of your compressor add HGBP

Do not use a cooling thermostat and set the hot gas bypass valve for the space temperature you want. You will have to fidle with it at first but just set it lower to reduce the house temp or higher to increase the space temp. When you get it balanced - just leave it there forever.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Just install it as per the install instructions.

Post Likes
    if it does not have a crank case heater you can add one but the easy way to prolong the compressor is a proper install proper charge and service it annully

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Do not use a cooling thermostat and set the hot gas bypass valve for the space temperature you want. You will have to fidle with it at first but just set it lower to reduce the house temp or higher to increase the space temp. When you get it balanced - just leave it there forever.

Post Likes

Smile

Why not install a AMANA 14 SEER with life time compressor warranty and not do anything but relax!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by webbheat View Post
    Why not install a AMANA 14 SEER with life time compressor warranty and not do anything but relax!
    Cause he don't want a glorified Goodman
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes

Compressor life

Thanks for replies, anyway thanks for the info on crankcase heater, I know most techs hate Goodman except home builders, but I got a good deal on it, I know shame on me, but it is a 14 seer. Other brands were 2X the price. I was told that a compressor has a easier time starting on a suction pressure that is lower than the equalized pressure on startup I sometimes like to Over-Engineer it, but probably I'm wasting my time.

I'll probably just throw on a Heater and be done with it.

Thanks everyone,

Post Likes
    Actually compressors start easier with balanced pressure. And It seems to me that a scroll would allow the pressures to equalize since they don't have valves, making the solenoid useless anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolmaniac View Post
    Actually compressors start easier with balanced pressure. And It seems to me that a scroll would allow the pressures to equalize since they don't have valves, making the solenoid useless anyway.
    The old ones did. Thats why they would spin backwards after shutting off.
    Since they have a check valve now, they don't equalize if you have a SV, or balance post TXV.

Post Likes

Pipe in a 1/4" N. O. solenoid valve

Connecting discharge to suction. Power the solenoid coil parallel with the coil of the compressor contactor but through a two second time delay relay.

That would give you full unloaded compressor start up.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    And if the timer goes out, it gives you a good reason to get a new system.

Post Likes

Make the bypass line a big loop

And put a thermostat on it near the suction connection. If it gets over the set-point it could either trip an alarm circuit to your alarm company or shut the unit down.

Don't be silly - we're saving the compressor here!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    And if the timer goes out, it gives you a good reason to get a new system.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    And put a thermostat on it near the suction connection. If it gets over the set-point it could either trip an alarm circuit to your alarm company or shut the unit down.

Don't be silly - we're saving the compressor here!
    LOL..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in