Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hydronic boiler replacement

Hi guys!

I'm a controls, building automation installer for a company out here in Denver, CO. I'm an electrician by trade, so I'm looking to advice from any of you residential hydronic boiler experts out there on a replacement for my home boiler which is an oversized Peerless over 40 years old.

It's still is chuggin' on, but with rising gas prices (natural as well as petroleum), I'm considering changing out the old beauty.

I've talked to one of our boiler experts with the company (we do commercial) and he recommends sticking with cast iron heat exchangers, possibly a Dunkirk Plymouth. He mentions that the condensing units don't last long on the ultra high efficiency units that use a different type of heat exchanger.

Anyway, I'm pretty savvy with the controls end, but I'm wondering if you folks out there have any brand suggestions, or things to avoid. I'm not looking for DIY info, I'm just trying to get info on what to look for and what to avoid. I don't know if you can recommend specific brands, but it sure would help.

Thanks in advance to all!

basparky

Don't know what he calls long.

But, if you want ot save money, go with a con/mod boiler.

I prefer Weil Mclain Ultra, it comes with outdoor reset as standard.
    15 Year HX warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What is your definition of long lasting? 40 years, like your old one? You didn't mention what type of emmiters your system has, but I will reccommend a mod/con anyway. Even with "high temp" copper fin tube you can see a significant energy savings. If you have cast iron radiators, even better. You can most likely run the boiler in condensing range all winter. This makes for a very comfortable and efficient system. Just make sure the boiler is not oversized! My current boiler of choice is the Lochinvar Knight, but there are many good brands out there now. Good luck.

I second the knight current unit of choice. The wall hung one from Triangle Tube. (I cannot remember the name of it) Is a good choice as well. The TT unit works better with limited water flow. Not as sensitive to low flow problems.

Mike
    Mike

How small can these boilers be ?

Condensing boilers; WM or the like.

I have a space that only needs 25-30K.

Of course I have a 200K coil in the return to do it with. <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

WM Ultra comes in an 80,000 that can mod down to 16,000 input.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    WM Ultra comes in an 80,000 that can mod down to 16,000 input.
    Yeah, they are all about the same. That's as small as they get. Munchkin has a 50k, but it doesn't modulate much lower than that. Have any water quality/warranty issues with those aluminum heat exchanger yet?

Nothing smaller ?

The 25K is worst-case - the majority of the time I would require about 6-10K <g>

I hate firing up this big boiler for the tiny heat load. It does heat domestic water with a little plate frame HX but I hate firing it for That even. <g>

Maybe a little wall-hung instant water heater could do both? <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The 25K is worst-case - the majority of the time I would require about 6-10K <g>

I hate firing up this big boiler for the tiny heat load. It does heat domestic water with a little plate frame HX but I hate firing it for That even. <g>

Maybe a little wall-hung instant water heater could do both? <g>
    Nothing smaller that I am aware of. Instantaneous may work, but I am not a fan. Granted, the new ones seem better than when they first came out. Maybe consider a Bradford White combicor water heater, or if your electric rates are cheap, the Thermolec boilers are nice. Fully modulating with outdoor reset.

more info

Thanks for everyones prompt reply

More info for you boiler guys, this is a Peerless model 60 with a rated input of 200,000 BTU's and output of 160,000 BTU's. All this for a 2640 sq ft house that use to have a swimming pool. No more pool for a long time.

Thanks,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    Have any water quality/warranty issues with those aluminum heat exchanger yet?
    Nope.
    The only problem, was had The freeze out plugs leak on one.

Almost took longer to fill out the warranty papers then swamp out the core.
    Contractor locator map

How do you heat your domestic hot water.
    Contractor locator map

Viessmann or Buderus are two boilers that I've had good luck with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast