Replacement advice needed

I need to replace an 11 y.o. 2.5 ton Carrier condensor. The HVAC person that declared it dead said that I didn't need to replace the evaporator coil, just the get a new 2.5 ton condensor. However, after reading online about this, I am afraid that 'saving' the cost of the evaporator coil now will cost me in the long run if it fails after 2010. So, my questions on this are:
    - Should I replace the condensor now with a cheap, 2 year old, 2.5 ton used unit I can get from Craigslist, and later when the evaporator coil fails, replace the whole system with new R410 units?
    - Should I bite the bullet and change over to R410 now (even though I can barely afford it)?
    - If I change over to R410 now, I want to make sure I have the right sized system. I have read that a 2.5 ton system is good for up to 1800 sq ft. I have an older, 2000 sq ft home. Is a 2.5 ton system undersized for my home?
    - Finally, is Goodman a good brand? They have a 10 year warranty, but I have never heard of them, but I have only heard of the ones that advertise alot.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by SGem-67 View Post
    I need to replace an 11 y.o. 2.5 ton Carrier condensor. The HVAC person that declared it dead said that I didn't need to replace the evaporator coil, just the get a new 2.5 ton condensor. However, after reading online about this, I am afraid that 'saving' the cost of the evaporator coil now will cost me in the long run if it fails after 2010. So, my questions on this are:
    - Should I replace the condensor now with a cheap, 2 year old, 2.5 ton used unit I can get from Craigslist, and later when the evaporator coil fails, replace the whole system with new R410 units?
    - Should I bite the bullet and change over to R410 now (even though I can barely afford it)?
    - If I change over to R410 now, I want to make sure I have the right sized system. I have read that a 2.5 ton system is good for up to 1800 sq ft. I have an older, 2000 sq ft home. Is a 2.5 ton system undersized for my home?
    - Finally, is Goodman a good brand? They have a 10 year warranty, but I have never heard of them, but I have only heard of the ones that advertise alot.

Thank you

NEVER BUY AND INSTALL USED EQUIPMENT....ITS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. You buy used....no warranty. Company that installs it.....no warranty. You will be buying something that you know nothing about that could have been improperly installed and is on the brink of failure. Do you really want to chance it???

As far as the rest. Get a load calc done. Find out what you really need. And go from there.

Its always best to install a full matching system. It will increase or at least maintain the energy efficiency. Not to mention, a lot of warranties now insist of the equipment matching otherwise the warranty will be void and therefore useless.

If you replace the system, go with the R-410A now. Its a better refrigerant and will not cost nearly as much as R-22 in 10-15 years. Not to mention, a full system replacement will save you labor costs in the long run over doing it in pieces.

Remember that installation is key. If its not properly sized, proper duct design or not properly installed....it will be nothing but a nightmare and will eventually end with the early demise of the system. Go with the most efficient system you can possibly afford. Many manufacturers have rebates on top end equipment as well as many dealers will as well. The more efficient, the less your utilities bills will be. Also, most well known reputable contractors offer financing and should work with your budget to get you what you need at the price range you are looking for.

Goodman is not a bad brand. But the true professionals of the site will tell you what I have already. That installation is key. You get what you pay for. Cheap is not the way to go. And that any brand, properly installed, will work just as well as the next. We try to keep the brand bashers at bay but I'm sure a few will chime in. Remember that a brand basher is biased. And that 1 person out of thousands should not change your mind.

And last but not least, you need to identify what killed your old unit that you are replacing. Cause if you have a compressor failure and the cause of the failure was not properly identified, then it will happen again with your new system. So you need to find that out and post it. Then we can assist you more.

Any more questions???
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

I was going to say the same thing as Vet did. But it would take to long to type, so just reread what he said.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Regarding cost:

- Should I replace the condenser now with a cheap, 2 year old, 2.5 ton used unit I can get from Craigslist, and later when the evaporator coil fails, replace the whole system with new R410 units?

Thank you
    Our local electric company is offering low % loans (8% on a 14-15 SEER Heat pump and 6% on a 16 SEER & greater). Then they add it to your bill so the pain isn't quite so much. Our's extends through Sept 30. Perhaps you can find other, innovative. ways of gathering monies for the new system.

Like my friends have said, its better to do it right the first time than come back and do it again, right.
    Last edited by RomulanSpy; 07-06-2008 at 08:26 AM. Reason: punctuation

Thanks

Thanks for your advice. I think you confirmed what I was thinking - to replace the whole system with new units under warranty. I got several bids and found one that seemed reasonable and went with that. I bought the unit separate from the installation and saved some money that way, as it was less than the bids where the installation and equipment weren't separate. Thanks again!

I bought the unit separate from the installation and saved some money that way, as it was less than the bids where the installation and equipment weren't separate. Thanks again!

DOES THIS SOUND SCARY TO ANYONE ELSE?

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    I was thinking the same thing bet he bought a unit online thinking he was saving $$$ well i guess he is if it was than the bid price.

Thanks for your advice. I think you confirmed what I was thinking - to replace the whole system with new units under warranty. I got several bids and found one that seemed reasonable and went with that. I bought the unit separate from the installation and saved some money that way, as it was less than the bids where the installation and equipment weren't separate. Thanks again!
    My new Rheem warranty card specifically says Internet sales void the warranty. Goodman has the same policy. I'm guessing most others do as well.

I suggest you read your warranty carefully.

-HF

if he bought it online, no warranty. i've never heard of any one reducing the price of an install if you buy the equipment seperately. not too many legit installers, install systems supplied by the customer. the whole thing sounds jake leg or d.i.y.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Sounds like a guy I know. He wants me to install someone else's unit, Just to save a few bucks. I think i'll steer clear of this kind in the future!!!!