Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile Great Info!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    This will give a good understanding about oversizing.

THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLE! IT HAS GIVEN ME THE BEST UNDERSTANDING YET!!!!!!!!

In that case why aren't you installing a heat pump?

Which would be much more economical to operate than a gas fired furnace.

It isn't the condition of the ductwork which concerns me - it is the physical size of the ductwork.

If you increase the cooling capacity - you Will have to also increase the air flow volume a like percentage. How will 50% MORE air get through the original sized air ducts properly?

Let me answer for you - it won't.

Cutting a larger inlet hole is just a tiny bit of it - the entire duct system needs to be larger. Please ask your contractors how they propose to accomplish this feat.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguymedia View Post
    Thank you for the input!

We are replacing the furnace because it is what blows the A/C and the piece that has quit on us. We are fortunate enough to live in San Diego and the winters are very mild so heating isnt a huge issue. With that, over the past 15-20 years, the area I live in has gotten hotter and hotter in the summer and we tend to have over 90's a good portion of the year with many weeks over 100 degrees.

The original duct work as far as I have been told by all the contractors is in great condition! One proposal by a contractor wanting to go from the current 2 ton to 3 ton put in the proposal that the hole in which the air enters into the duct work, i think he said intake box, needs to be changed from a 12" diameter hole to a 16" hole to accomidate the larger amount of air flow. Another contractor also wants to go up to 3 ton but did not mention this as something that needs to be done - Have you found that a larger intake box is needed for a 3ton vs. a 2 ton?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12