Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You go get em JR
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    No, let's not. Let's not even discuss what you think it should cost. You have no idea what contractors in his market charge for things.
    Which is exactly what I said in my first post. Which stated:

Anything can be done given you have the $$$. Not sure of labor costs in your area. But the materials alone will probably be close to a grand. (Copper, wire for low voltage and high voltage, armaflex, solder, fittings, etc...) You get the idea I hope, add some labor and it isn't going to be for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Which is exactly what I said in my first post. Which stated:

Anything can be done given you have the $$$. Not sure of labor costs in your area. But the materials alone will probably be close to a grand. (Copper, wire for low voltage and high voltage, armaflex, solder, fittings, etc...) You get the idea I hope, add some labor and it isn't going to be for $100.
    I believe what everyone was gettin at was your reference to the cost of materials....

You can't see the job. For all we know, he could need a 50 and 35 ft lineset of 3/8 X 7/8. The low voltage could need over 100 ft to make it work. Will need to re-route high voltage, new disconnect, new wire whip, etc...etc...

The list goes on. And you need to remember the standard price mark-up. So there is no real way to determine the cost of materials nor labor.

In this case, the best answer givin would be in the form of a question. And that question I already asked. HO has not responded. But we need to know WHY he is moving it. For all we know, he wants to spend an ungodly amount of money to move a 20+ y/o system that is on its way out the door. Prices should not be included to any fasion.

When you startin adding prices and giving items a certain value, you are creating a headache for the contractor the HO decides to use. Cause already, if he has read the posts, he's on ebay getting completely ripped off tryin to buy the materials himself. And then its gonna be one of those situations. So its best if we can avoid it at any cost. We are here to guide people in the correct direction. Some will listen, some won't. But we cannot at any time jeapordize the integrity of the industry. When you start adding values that are way off, your making a negative view of the industry. Its best for the HO to find out costs from a local contractor...not just anyone on the net.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

I realize all this. But how many times have you gone out to look at a job and the person had a VERY unrealistic expectation of what something would cost? I was giving the guy a reference point of where to start. Which I think everybody on here would agree that a grand would be a starting point only. Which is what I was trying to get across to the guy. There are too many variables to account for. I had a lady the other day want us to install a Breezaire wine unit for her after she bought it. We gave her a ballpark price over the phone and she felt it was too high, luckily we talked to her on the phone before I went out and wasted an hour or more of my time, which is a very precious commodity during these hot times of the year. I don't like my time or other people's time being wasted, its one of my pet peeves, time is free to too many people. If I can save somebody this, I will.

Peoples perceptions are entirely different and people hear different things. There will be some people reading your pricing post and thinking it could get done for 1000 parts and 200 for labor (since 100 is not the right amount they will double it and think that should be reasonable) Then they will get many estimates until they find the guy to do it for 1200. For a time saving measure on the phone in your own local area, that would be fine, mainly because it will be you explaining that the distances, access, permits, electrician (in some places), pad leveling, tree removal and materials is significantly higher than 1200.00

If the guy wants an idea of what it will cost.
    He can ask contractors in his area over the phone. Only they can give a close ball park.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I think he may get it by now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12