Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    At one time it was not permitted to install an A/H in the attic on NEW installs in NEW homes without enclosing the A/H in its own room. That is no longer the case. The only requirements now is it can be no further than 6' from the access, must have a clear walkway to the service panels, and must be in a space that is a minimum of 36" tall from the top of trusses to the bottom of the roof deck.

If you are on the water I would choose the Trane due to the aluminum coil. If not on the water I don't have a preferance either way, they are both quaility units.

As far as Trane being available to anybody, that is not the case at all. Home Depot does not sell Trane equipment, they simply have a deal to display the equipment and sell you a contractor to do the install while they provide the financing. You can not go to the Depot and walk out with a system.

As stated before buy the contractor, not the equipment they are pushing.

nope, we're not on the water.
    what's the coil made of in a Lennox?
    I'll probably go with the a/h in the garage because I don't want the unit to be in that heat all the time, and I don't want to have to go up there to change the filter.
    does that make sense to you?

also, what is the best way to check out a contractor?
    Last edited by flajoe; 07-05-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: forgot something

also, what is the best way to check out a contractor?
    http://www.acca.org/Files/?id=186

Ask for references, ask your neighbors and friends, etc...

(Thanks for the link in your profile, jrbenny .)

I agree with it being better not in the attic. If you have the space in the garage that is definately the better location.

I beleive that the Lennox is still using copper coils with aluminum fins. I have not worked for a Lennox dealer in the last 9 years, so I can't say for certain.

The only issue that I do have with Lennox is parts availability. Not being a Lennox dealer we don't stock their system specific parts and the closest Lennox parts distributor to us is in Tampa (approx. 50 mile round trip from me). So we usually order the part that is needed and the customer ends up with out a functional system unless we are able to find some way to get them going temporarily until the correct part comes in.

Most Lennox dealers will have stock on hand for the Lennox specific parts, so that should not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    Rookie I may be, Dumb rather not. I like cleanning condensor coils monthly and with popular fluff and leaves it must have been a rookie that designed it. I would rather metal condensor over plastic. I would rather change a compressor on a lennox over a trane. But what the heck I am a Carrier dealer. Don't hold that against me because I would sell trane if they did not sell to anyone.
    The spine fin coil is the most advanced condenser coil on the market, especially in high salt content locations. Yes, they are more difficult to clean but offer a better hear transfer than the rest.

The aluminum evap coils are new in Trane. And are again far advanced. Resists corrosion better than copper coils.

I agree, metal condenser over plastic. But I like Trane compressors. Expecially with the rotolocks. They are so easy to change. No need to torch out and torch in.

All other components easily and nicely stowed inside side panel. Makes for easier changing out and easier troubleshooting. No bending down inside unit to find that pesky filter dryer. Can easily put system in cooling and with pull of wire, switch to heat for total diagnostics any time of year.

So why the negatives about Trane??? From what I can see, they are doing everything they can to design the best possible system to put on the market....

And if you don't believe me, just go find a nice XV15. It was only 20 years ahead of its time. In fact, there was just a thread here yesterday where we discussed it briefly.

Lennox, on the other hand, needs to improve design a little bit in my book. I'm not brand bashing here.....what I meant by that was it would be nicer if the components were easier to access. I would like to see a better design that has the technician in mind.

However, in the long run, installation is key. I could install the biggest POS in the world correctly and properly and I guarantee it will outperform and outlast the most sophisticated system installed by Back Yard Bill Heat em and Cheat em.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    The spine fin coil is the most advanced condenser coil on the market, especially in high salt content locations. Yes, they are more difficult to clean but offer a better hear transfer than the rest.

But I like Trane compressors. Expecially with the rotolocks. They are so easy to change. No need to torch out and torch in.

the spine fin coil sucked 40 years ago when GE used it and continues to suck to this day, since Trane bought GE and continued to use it along with the rotolock compressor.

i would prefer to have a unit with an easy to clean coil and a compressor that does not fail over one easy to change.

Well, when you find out who makes a compressor that never fails, let us know.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

never fails ain't gonna happen.

in the close to 20 years we have put in Lennox scrolls i have had 4 fail so i would say thats pretty good.

not enough failures that i would make easy to change a priority...

Maybe if the Tranes you had to change out the compressors on, would have been installed as well. Those compressors wouldn't have needed to be changed either.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    the spine fin coil sucked 40 years ago when GE used it and continues to suck to this day, since Trane bought GE and continued to use it along with the rotolock compressor.

i would prefer to have a unit with an easy to clean coil and a compressor that does not fail over one easy to change.

how much Lemmox stock do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post

not a dime. have been working on them for 35 yrs and selling them for 27 though.......

Iraqi

[QUOTE=Airmechanical;1916266]how much Lemmox stock do you own?

I don't see you giving air mech any **** for brand bashing. Spine fin you are definetly wrong as far the best and as far as aluminum being far superior than copper, give your head a shake. Copper will protect itself from corrosion we have buildings that are close to 70 years old with copper on roof. Do you remember electrical problems with aluminum, what makes you so sure that won't happen here. By the way trane went with aluminum because of the copper cost.
    Do it right the first time.

[QUOTE=21degrees;1916484]
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post

I don't see you giving air mech any **** for brand bashing. Spine fin you are definetly wrong as far the best and as far as aluminum being far superior than copper, give your head a shake. Copper will protect itself from corrosion we have buildings that are close to 70 years old with copper on roof. Do you remember electrical problems with aluminum, what makes you so sure that won't happen here. By the way trane went with aluminum because of the copper cost.
    Copper cost has nothing to do with it. Formicary corrosion is whats behind the change.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast