Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Lennox or Trane?

Hello to all. I'm a consumer in Orlando, Florida. We need an entire new air conditioning system and some duct work. We have one estimate on a Trane 5 ton, and another on a Lennox 5 ton. Both are dual stage compressors and variable speed air handlers. Cost is comparable, as are the warranties.
    Lennox is offering a $1,000 rebate, no rebates on Trane products.

Some people have told me that Lennox units won't hold up like Trane's. True or false?

I really need some impartial advice, so thanks for any you can offer!

Name means nothing

Look for professionalism in company representative. Does he do load calculation, are they asking questions, pulling permits, do they offer 24 hour service. Don't worry about name brands. Lennox and trane are on the same level.
    Do it right the first time.

every manufacturer has their good and bad. the difference is in the install you can have the best equipment and a bad install it wont work. go with your gut not your wallet. ask about warrenty, ask do you have to pay a call out fee for warrenty work, look at their trucks, get a feel for the installers when they come, if you feel uneasy its probably not good.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    Look for professionalism in company representative. Does he do load calculation, are they asking questions, pulling permits, do they offer 24 hour service. Don't worry about name brands. Lennox and trane are on the same level.
    i agree with everthing above. buy your service company not the brand they sell.
    Last edited by badboyheel; 07-05-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    "The things you own end up owning you. "

Tyler Durden

if the contractors are equally qualified

i vote for the Trane!

Quote Originally Posted by flajoe View Post
    Some people have told me that Lennox units won't hold up like Trane's. True or false?
    Maybe 10 years ago. Now I think it's the opposite. Trane won't hold up like a Lennox. IMHO

I have a 91 Lennox 2 speed Hp 16 SEER, still going strong despite Rural electric company repeatedly spiking the unit. Have Replaced 3 DC drive evap. motors, last one was designed correctly. Two years ago replaced condensor motor. Lost the defrost board, after a hurricane blew thru. It was installed by the book, nitrogen bled while brazing, triple evac. with copper tubing, low microns. pinched off the copper when done. Kept up on the maintenace, turn downs, coil cleaning, worn contactor replacements, etc. I think for long life a good install and maintenance are imperative. Also last year Utility zapped my T-stat and starting components, and it's still running.

thanks for all the advice...

we also have one installer who wants to put the air handler in the attic...any thoughts on that? Isn't the extreme Fla. heat tough on the unit?

Can't wait to condensors start failing

[QUOTE=Airmechanical;1915441]if the contractors are equally qualified

i vote for the Trane!

Yah with aluminum tubing in condensors and bristol fins.
    Carrier first,then Lennox.
    Trane or Goodman Second You can buy these units any where(home depot/ 7/11)

I thought Flodida code prohibited new air handlers from being installed in the attic.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I thought Flodida code prohibited new air handlers from being installed in the attic.

no they did not

but when you do install them in the attic you must have the area enclosed around them!

kind of like an airhandler room!

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    Yah with aluminum tubing in condensors and bristol fins. Carrier first,then Lennox.Trane or Goodman Second You can buy these units any where(home depot/ 7/11)
    carrier first then lemmox then trane, those are rookie remarks

dude the spine fin is an awesome coil

whats your problem with it?

Yah Okay

Rookie I may be, Dumb rather not. I like cleanning condensor coils monthly and with popular fluff and leaves it must have been a rookie that designed it. I would rather metal condensor over plastic. I would rather change a compressor on a lennox over a trane. But what the heck I am a Carrier dealer. Don't hold that against me because I would sell trane if they did not sell to anyone.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast