Thread: Trouble with my 13 seer Goodman central A/C

Post Likes

Trouble with my 13 seer Goodman central A/C

last year my two ton house unit died so I had a friend install a new one as I dont have my own equipment (brazing tools/vacuum pump) he installed a 13 seer R22 Goodman that was working fine until fri aft when it was near 90'F outside and humid--my wife said the unit made a loud noise and the fan slowed down (probaly pulling amps) so she shut it off-two hours later when I came home I put it on again and it ran fine--but Im concerned that it doesnt happen again and I dont lose my comp--I will do an amp draw on it and check the voltage--anyone out there know what low and high psi readings I should expect on a hot day--I heard theres a concern with these units and liquid floodback-it doesnt have a suction accumulator but there is a "trap" in the piping of the suction line to the comp--anything I can do to protect my unit--would a crankcase heater help--Im new to these 13 seers----thank you
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Did he replace both the inside and outside unit.
    Most A/Cs don't have a suction accumilator.

have your friend come back and check it.

Post Likes
    Please have your friend check the pressures, because if you ask here Beenthere will remind you of the strict no do it yourself rules.. I'm just wondering where he's been, because everytime I sign on he's here...

Post Likes
    Ya know; the term "fine" is just so damned descriptive that it really should just replace all technical terms altogether. I mean, what else do we need to know if something is "fine"?

Just about every system I have ever found to be wrongly applied, installed or otherwise not proper ran "fine" before crapping out.

The question has been asked about if the indoor unit/coil was also replaced to match the outdoor unit. We need to know the model of the outdoor unit as well as the model of the indoor coil/air handler before we can even attempt to know what could possibly be going on. Answers can never exceed the quality of a question.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dj3901783 View Post
    Please have your friend check the pressures, because if you ask here Beenthere will remind you of the strict no do it yourself rules.. I'm just wondering where he's been, because everytime I sign on he's here...
    LOL...

I've been many places. Since I don't log out, yoy see me listed as online weather or not I am.

Now do you have anything helpful to say.

Post Likes

9 yr replies

inside A-coil was changed as A-coils for 13 seers are usually large or larger than the old one--not home now-later I can submit model and serial for Goodman unit=the furnace is a carrier-- more info from the wife now makes me wonder if the cond fan is the problem where I assumed it was the comp--but with equipment at work-I agree that "fine" is indeed a word describing something just before it craps out-

Post Likes
    A friend having access to a Goodman and installing it on the side??

I never would've thunk it....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 9yriceman View Post
    last year my two ton house unit died so I had a friend install a new one as I dont have my own equipment (brazing tools/vacuum pump) he installed a 13 seer R22 Goodman that was working fine until fri aft when it was near 90'F outside and humid--my wife said the unit made a loud noise and the fan slowed down (probaly pulling amps) so she shut it off-two hours later when I came home I put it on again and it ran fine--but Im concerned that it doesnt happen again and I dont lose my comp--I will do an amp draw on it and check the voltage--anyone out there know what low and high psi readings I should expect on a hot day--I heard theres a concern with these units and liquid floodback-it doesnt have a suction accumulator but there is a "trap" in the piping of the suction line to the comp--anything I can do to protect my unit--would a crankcase heater help--Im new to these 13 seers----thank you

the best thing you can do for the unit is call in a qualified tech to check it out and set it up properly

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    A friend having access to a Goodman and installing it on the side??

I never would've thunk it....
    I didn't know you thunk at all
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I didn't know you thunk at all
    Hey Robo....sheesh....

Just busting your Goodman chops.

Post Likes
    Kinda sounds like you experienced a low voltage situation. You know the ones the power companies say they don't have. On the other hand. As a personal rule I do not like to mismatch equipment. I have found through experience that some manufacturers will make changes in capacities to prevent proper operation with other brands. If you call the service rep for goodman. He will say the problem is with the airhandler. the carrier rep will say the problem is with the condensing unit. Neither will be willimg to help. You will need a good experienced service tech. to get the mismatched system to work together.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Kinda sounds like you experienced a low voltage situation.
    what leads you to suspect that diagnosis?

Post Likes

To the OP...

You need to apply for pro membership. If you meet the requirements you can then post in the pro forums where matters such as yours can be openly discussed. In this forum, thay can not.

>>>Thread Closed<<<

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in