Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long lineset concerns?

My installer is planning to place the AC condenser (Goodman SSX160601) on a concrete pad behind the house. To connect it to the coil in the attic, the lineset would require a 30 ft rise, and then about 40 ft across the attic.

I wondered about the 70 ft length of the lineset, and he said that as an alternate, he can put the condenser on the garage roof, which would result in a 12 ft rise and 10 ft in the attic. But this would require building a support structure on the roof, which he seems reluctant to do. It would also be very visible from the backyard, which I don't like too much.

Should I be concerned with the long lineset and go for roof mounting, or should I go with the original plan? Are there any special steps he needs to take for the long lineset (he mentioned using 1 1/8" line, a hard start capacitor, and crankcase heater)?

Thanks,

Mark

with a run like that i would also recomend a pump down selenoid sized for the tonage and type refrigerant at the evap coil

And you would go with the long lineset run over the roof mounting?

Your contractor needs to check on the refrigerant line sizing chart, I don't think the two stage scroll can handle a verticle lift of more than 20-feet. I haven't had to deal with this in a long time and don't have access to literature right now.

I do agree with the CCH, not so much on the start assist as long as the system has a timer. The LL solenoid is a very good idea I would even put the solenoid on a 10 or 15 second delay.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Your contractor needs to check on the refrigerant line sizing chart, I don't think the two stage scroll can handle a verticle lift of more than 20-feet. I haven't had to deal with this in a long time and don't have access to literature right now.

I do agree with the CCH, not so much on the start assist as long as the system has a timer. The LL solenoid is a very good idea I would even put the solenoid on a 10 or 15 second delay.

I have heard this before but was never explained why
    what is the reason for the 10/15 second delay?

Maybe, a CCH.
    No real reason for a LLSV.

He should check with Goodman to see what they say about teh line set length, and what should or shouldn't be done in the way of adding or not adding componets.

After all, they are the ones that can void warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Long line set recommendations from Goodman don't start suggesting accessories until 80 ft.

Is it R-410A or R-22?

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    I have heard this before but was never explained why
    what is the reason for the 10/15 second delay?
    To have liquid to the coil mostly, there is more to it but I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    To have liquid to the coil mostly, there is more to it but I don't remember.
    The delay only provides liquid to the evap faster if its been a long off time, during mild temps.

It does help prevent slugging if the evap has excess oil in it.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Long line set recommendations from Goodman don't start suggesting accessories until 80 ft.

Is it R-410A or R-22?
    It's a R-410 system. From what I can find on Goodman's website, the instructions for this condenser say:

"These sizes are suitable for line lengths of 74 feet or less. If a
    run of more than fifty feet is required, refer to Remote Cooling
    Service Manual, or TP-106 Long Line Set Application R-22, or
    TP-107 Long Line Set Application R-410A or contact your distributor
    for assistance."

When I look in the TP-107, it recommends the accessories (hard start, CCH) only for > 80 ft. It doesn't say anything about elevation other than the max elevation is 25 ft if condenser is above coil, but mine is the reverse. I didn't find any restrictions on condenser being below coil.

Regardless, it sounds like there are ways to make it work (maybe with some accessories), which I would prefer over the roof mount idea. I just want to make sure that we won't get in trouble with the long lineset.

thanks been and classical for explaining

from what i remember from school years ago on a high lift you should run a certain length horizontal for every certain foot vertical

Quote Originally Posted by mark johnson View Post
    It's a R-410 system. From what I can find on Goodman's website, the instructions for this condenser say:

"These sizes are suitable for line lengths of 74 feet or less. If a
    run of more than fifty feet is required, refer to Remote Cooling
    Service Manual, or TP-106 Long Line Set Application R-22, or
    TP-107 Long Line Set Application R-410A or contact your distributor
    for assistance."

When I look in the TP-107, it recommends the accessories (hard start, CCH) only for > 80 ft. It doesn't say anything about elevation other than the max elevation is 25 ft if condenser is above coil, but mine is the reverse. I didn't find any restrictions on condenser being below coil.

Regardless, it sounds like there are ways to make it work (maybe with some accessories), which I would prefer over the roof mount idea. I just want to make sure that we won't get in trouble with the long lineset.
    107B says it just needs an inverted vapor loop.

With fittings and the inverted loop you may end up being over 80 ft. So you have plenty of options if you do need help.....Hard start kit, TXV (I'd get this for sure if it isn't already included), CCH, LL Solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Hard start kit, TXV (I'd get this for sure if it isn't already included), CCH, LL Solenoid.
    Be carefull recommending LLSVs.
    Most contractors don't put the right size in. They think if the line is 3/8, then thats the size to use. And thats not the case on long line sets.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast