blower fan always running

Hello, I am needing some advice. My son's home has a trane heat pump which is 15 years old maybe. About 6 months ago he told me that the blower inside runs all the time but the heat was fine but fan never stops. I called a tech out and he checked everything and said that we had a leak at the valves where the lines go to the outside unit. He said that he could put some freon in to bring it back to proper level so the heat pump would work again, but that if it leaked out again they should fix the problem which he said was the valve needed replaced. He used a sniffer to find the leak and showed me the oily dirt around the valve and said that was the problem area.
    Now that we are in the air conditioning season , the fan is running all the time again.
    1. Does this problem sound correct and the fix make sense?
    2. He and me can't afford a new unit so I would like to have repaired if it's a good fix and makes economic sense rather than replacement of the whole unit.
    3. It has the r22 , do I continue to use that type or is it like old cars and you upgrade to something else if you have to work on them.

Thanks for any advice on this dave

It could be kicking out on low pressure or just not cooling anymore. Therefore the inside temp. never reaches set point and the fan runs continuously. Which could be due to a leak.

If he raises the set point to above inside temp does it cut off? Does the outside unit run at all?

Just for future reference if you ever have a leak in a system you should get it fixed ASAP it doesn't get any cheaper to let it go. And if he truly recommended you getting it fixed next time he did you no service telling you that.

does the fan ever shut off? If not it could back feeding through a stuck relay or a shorted wire in the low voltage. Is the t-stat set in fan on or auto? As far as the leak goes if it is at the stem cap of the valve the tech should have attempted to seal the cap with leak loc or expoxy. If the leak is at the hose connection he should have replaced the valve core and seal cap. If it is at the braze connection he should have pumped down the system and repaired. As earlier stated they wont get any better. A 15 year old heat pump is getting close to replacement time, I wouldn't spend to much on repairs. Find a qualified company to service the unit.

Very good chance its low on charge again.
    You can have teh leak fixed.
    But keep in mind you are on borrowed time with it being 15 years old.
    Might last 10 more years, or just a a few more months.

Start saving for replacement now. Because it won't be any cheaper next year.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?