Second leak in 8 months...compressor this time.

I'm not a DIY on this, but wanted to get some expert advice from you guys before the next contractor comes out to look at the issues.

Basically in January my evaporator coil leaked and had it replaced. Everything was fine until about a month ago, when the HVAC system wasn't cooling properly. The originial installers of the evap coil came out and added about 3lbs of freon to the system. All was good until about 3 days ago.

We got back from vacation and noticed the upstairs about about 88 and down was at 83. So I called them back out and they said the system was almost empty and had been running a while. I know this is bad and can pretty much kill the compressor. He did a leak test and found leaks at the service valves. He tightened down the valves as much as possible and filled the system.

He did notice that when filling the high side was not increasing as more freon was going in, so he mentioned that the compressor might be shot.

So..... if the valves are bad can they just be replaced, or does the entire compressor have to replaced.
    Also, I'm hoping the next contractor is confident enough to test to see if the compressor is functioning properly... anything I can know to make sure he's testing this properly.

I'd really appreciate any feedback...or possibly any other sites for the information.

THanks

Yes, service access valves can be replaced.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for the reply....apparently the tech I had out failed to mention that. So it's good I'm getting someone else to come out to look at the issue.

From what I have been reading the tech can mainly tell if the compressor is bad with his gauges and how the system is removing heat. Is there anything techinical I can look for that he might do to ensure the testing is being done properly.

And I am not one to watch over what they are doing, but since this is a possible large investment, I just want to make sure that he's doing it right.

Thanks again for any information.

Is the unit cooling now?

Really hard to tell if compressor is working right from here but he should have known when working on the unit. Get a second opinion and/or change companies. They should have done a complete leak check and found all problems.
    Its a good Life!

The unis is cooling now and pulled the temp down from about 83 to 76, which where is stayed through the night.

The last contractor that came out what displeased that hte other guy didn't perform any leak test. But he did test the evap coil and didn't find a leak there, just in the valves.

The other contractor is coming out today to take a look so i'm hoping a new set of eyes will help. My confidence in the other company drastically went down.

Quote Originally Posted by omnicube View Post
    So I called them back out and they said the system was almost empty and had been running a while. I know this is bad and can pretty much kill the compressor. He did a leak test and found leaks at the service valves.
    Someone please educate me. Isn't the low pressure cut-off switch supposed to prevent the compressor from running on "almost empty" and killing itself?

Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Someone please educate me. Isn't the low pressure cut-off switch supposed to prevent the compressor from running on "almost empty" and killing itself?

Thanx.
    If it has one and it isn't stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post

Thanx.
    From what I've been reading, it's supposed to. My system is only 6 years old, but from what I've been told not the best. So......................

Hope the new contractor has more insight.

Thanks for all the information.