Thread: Harmony Zone Controller without variable speed

Post Likes

Harmony Zone Controller without variable speed

Hey Folks. I am looking for some Harmony zone controller experience. To sum up a long story, I need to get the Harmony working with a nice dual stage Lennox condenser but a three speed blower in the air handler, not variable. Will essentially be using an older air handler where cooling currently uses fixed high speed, heating uses med speed and low is unused. I know that the Harmony uses a voltage control to tell the air handler where to set the blower, but there must be a way to operate two or three speed blower based on demand level from the Harmony.

So to reiterate into a question, can the Harmony be configured to operate a two or three speed blower?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kazko View Post
    Hey Folks. I am looking for some Harmony zone controller experience. To sum up a long story, I need to get the Harmony working with a nice dual stage Lennox condenser but a three speed blower in the air handler, not variable. Will essentially be using an older air handler where cooling currently uses fixed high speed, heating uses med speed and low is unused. I know that the Harmony uses a voltage control to tell the air handler where to set the blower, but there must be a way to operate two or three speed blower based on demand level from the Harmony.

So to reiterate into a question, can the Harmony be configured to operate a two or three speed blower?
    Your Frankenmonster will give you nothing but problems....

The 2 speed or dual speen condenser is designed with a varible speed air hanler, not multi speed.

And the harmony works with variable speed blowers, not multi speed. Wont work, your ideas are far fetched.

Get the system installed properly by a contractor. A contractor that will install matching components.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    In a word NO!

Post Likes
    What he said! You are looking for nothing but big problems.

Post Likes
    it wont work complete waist of time

Post Likes
    Would be some awlfull rigging if you got it to work at all.
    You won't have humidity control because the blower won't slow down when in first stage.
    So your customer will have spent a lot of money on a comfort condenser, that isn't providing comfort. And may end up using more electric, then they did with their old unit.

Tell them you can install a nice VS blower air handler, or sell them a Single stage condenser.

Post Likes
    it could be done but it would be a pita to set up.

could control blower speed with a slave relay tied into condenser control circuit.

no way to control heat blower speed and it would probably need bypass damper or a dump zone.

discharge air sensor to control compressor stages.

Post Likes
    Like my boss tells us "DO IT RIGHT OR GO THE HELL HOME"
    So I say no.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    it could be done but it would be a pita to set up.

could control blower speed with a slave relay tied into condenser control circuit.
    Blower speed would still be a problem. PSC blowers don't slow enough for first stage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Blower speed would still be a problem. PSC blowers don't slow enough for first stage.

they have used 2 stage compressors with psc motors for over 25 years.

it may not be perfect but it would work.

Post Likes
    I didn't say it wouldn't cool.

But he won't have the humidity control that 2 stage is sold for today.

I've installed 2 stage on standard blower systems.
    And everyone of them, lacks the humidty control that a VS blower gives. And doesn't save money like it should for its higher efficiency rating.

Kinda like buying a bolt action shotgun.
    Its better then a single shot, but not as good as a pump. But you saved a few bucks.

Post Likes
    the harmony control will be looking for signal from the v-drive controler and will be locking out. It will also be trying to control blower speed and locking out

this system will not work with a three speed motor

there are damper controls that will work and the condenser isnt going to be the issue here it is going to be the blower

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I didn't say it wouldn't cool.

But he won't have the humidity control that 2 stage is sold for today.

I've installed 2 stage on standard blower systems.
    And everyone of them, lacks the humidty control that a VS blower gives. And doesn't save money like it should for its higher efficiency rating.

Kinda like buying a bolt action shotgun.
    Its better then a single shot, but not as good as a pump. But you saved a few bucks.

i agree with everything above. it may not be perfect but it can be made to work. the original system in my fathers house was a single speed belt drive blower coil with a hs14 2 speed unit. in new jersey he never had any humidity problems in his house. we don't know where OP is from so humidity may not even be an issue.

i like all the bells and whisles but they are not always needed to get the job done.

i like semi auto shotguns but still like to shoot the old over-under double barrel to.......

Post Likes

i like semi auto shotguns but still like to shoot the old over-under double barrel to.......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    the harmony control will be looking for signal from the v-drive controler and will be locking out. It will also be trying to control blower speed and locking out

this system will not work with a three speed motor

there are damper controls that will work and the condenser isnt going to be the issue here it is going to be the blower

what signal does the v drive send to the harmony??

harmony varies voltage on the ds terminal to control blower speed i did not think it recieved any signal......

Post Likes
    what signal does the v drive send to the harmony??

harmony varies voltage on the ds terminal to control blower speed i did not think it recieved any signal......
    was just trying to be simple

with out ds the board will just keep locking out on fault codes. From my understanding since it has been tried and proven it will not work

harmont1 i have done with three speed and also single stage and a lot of thought but harmony3 needs to be set up to control ramping of the blower and if it isnt getting the ramping Or cfm count from the controler it will pick up a fault

now it most likely will open and close the dampers but seems to me this is a bit expensive set up to not be used properly

makes more sense to just use a controler for the damper and let the stat control the condenser

man those old hs14 were great units and the humidity controls were nice also if you but one on it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in