Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1

    Harmony Zone Controller without variable speed

    Hey Folks. I am looking for some Harmony zone controller experience. To sum up a long story, I need to get the Harmony working with a nice dual stage Lennox condenser but a three speed blower in the air handler, not variable. Will essentially be using an older air handler where cooling currently uses fixed high speed, heating uses med speed and low is unused. I know that the Harmony uses a voltage control to tell the air handler where to set the blower, but there must be a way to operate two or three speed blower based on demand level from the Harmony.

    So to reiterate into a question, can the Harmony be configured to operate a two or three speed blower?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by kazko View Post
    Hey Folks. I am looking for some Harmony zone controller experience. To sum up a long story, I need to get the Harmony working with a nice dual stage Lennox condenser but a three speed blower in the air handler, not variable. Will essentially be using an older air handler where cooling currently uses fixed high speed, heating uses med speed and low is unused. I know that the Harmony uses a voltage control to tell the air handler where to set the blower, but there must be a way to operate two or three speed blower based on demand level from the Harmony.

    So to reiterate into a question, can the Harmony be configured to operate a two or three speed blower?
    Your Frankenmonster will give you nothing but problems....

    The 2 speed or dual speen condenser is designed with a varible speed air hanler, not multi speed.


    And the harmony works with variable speed blowers, not multi speed. Wont work, your ideas are far fetched.


    Get the system installed properly by a contractor. A contractor that will install matching components.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.


    If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

    If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,316
    In a word NO!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,341
    What he said! You are looking for nothing but big problems.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    it wont work complete waist of time

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,776
    Would be some awlfull rigging if you got it to work at all.
    You won't have humidity control because the blower won't slow down when in first stage.
    So your customer will have spent a lot of money on a comfort condenser, that isn't providing comfort. And may end up using more electric, then they did with their old unit.

    Tell them you can install a nice VS blower air handler, or sell them a Single stage condenser.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,709
    it could be done but it would be a pita to set up.

    could control blower speed with a slave relay tied into condenser control circuit.

    no way to control heat blower speed and it would probably need bypass damper or a dump zone.

    discharge air sensor to control compressor stages.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    west point, ga.
    Posts
    328
    Like my boss tells us "DO IT RIGHT OR GO THE HELL HOME"
    So I say no.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,776
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    it could be done but it would be a pita to set up.

    could control blower speed with a slave relay tied into condenser control circuit.
    Blower speed would still be a problem. PSC blowers don't slow enough for first stage.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,709
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Blower speed would still be a problem. PSC blowers don't slow enough for first stage.

    they have used 2 stage compressors with psc motors for over 25 years.

    it may not be perfect but it would work.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,776
    I didn't say it wouldn't cool.

    But he won't have the humidity control that 2 stage is sold for today.

    I've installed 2 stage on standard blower systems.
    And everyone of them, lacks the humidty control that a VS blower gives. And doesn't save money like it should for its higher efficiency rating.


    Kinda like buying a bolt action shotgun.
    Its better then a single shot, but not as good as a pump. But you saved a few bucks.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    the harmony control will be looking for signal from the v-drive controler and will be locking out. It will also be trying to control blower speed and locking out

    this system will not work with a three speed motor

    there are damper controls that will work and the condenser isnt going to be the issue here it is going to be the blower

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,709
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I didn't say it wouldn't cool.

    But he won't have the humidity control that 2 stage is sold for today.

    I've installed 2 stage on standard blower systems.
    And everyone of them, lacks the humidty control that a VS blower gives. And doesn't save money like it should for its higher efficiency rating.


    Kinda like buying a bolt action shotgun.
    Its better then a single shot, but not as good as a pump. But you saved a few bucks.

    i agree with everything above. it may not be perfect but it can be made to work. the original system in my fathers house was a single speed belt drive blower coil with a hs14 2 speed unit. in new jersey he never had any humidity problems in his house. we don't know where OP is from so humidity may not even be an issue.

    i like all the bells and whisles but they are not always needed to get the job done.

    i like semi auto shotguns but still like to shoot the old over-under double barrel to.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event