Hybrid View

new home owner having issue with A/C

I just bought a house and are having issues with my A/C. I had a service tech from my home warranty come out and he concluded that the liquid line is kinked where it makes a 90 degree turn to vertical coming out of the condenser. It looks like the tube was straight to begin with and bent on purpose to make the 90 degrees. He says it's the problem which is causing my A/C to shut itself off every 5 minutes or so as the pressure builds. He also said that the brand I have, Goodman, is not a good brand and that I need a condenser pad put underneath the unit. What I want to know is what is a rough estimate cost to replace the liquid line and also what is the condenser pad used for? Do I really need it? The unit is sitting on flat concrete right now. Also, is Goodman really a bad brand or is he just trying to get me to buy a new unit?

If the condenser is sitting on concrete and is level, then its fine.

The liquid line can be repaired by doing a pumpdown, removing the kinked section, adding a liquid line drier, and pulling a vacuum on the lineset. Then the unit can be restarted.

No pricing questions allowed per site rules.

Goodman does not happen to be my brand of choice, and is generally installed by hacks in my neck of the woods.
    If installed properly though, it can last for many years...until it rattles itself to death.

Good luck!
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

As above, no pricing questions.
    Didn't you have a home inspection before you bought the house.

Might need a pad, can't see it from hee.
    Line may be repairable, but can't see that from here either .

Pics often help.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

sorry about the pricing question, will keep that in mind.

As for the home inspection, the only thing the inspector noticed was that the A/C wasn't running cool enough. The previous owner then got the A/C serviced and was told that the A/C was running fine, so I took their word for it.....after noticing the auto-shut down couple weeks ago when we tried to use it, I called the company who serviced it and they told me that they'll need to charge me for coming out for service again. That's when I filed a claim with my home insurance and got the tech who said the liquid line is kinked. Anyway, sorry for the ranting. Just frustrated about this whole mess.

Thats ok. Home inspectors are worthless when it comes to checking the HVAC system anyway.
    But they would normally point out a missing pad.

Hone warranty companies aren't know for using the highest trained companies either.
    Post a pic.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

These later Goodman units are A Okay, don't let anybody feed you that line!
    Your home warranty guy's been reading too many consumer guides that don't do a proper evaluation of central air units.

I do not believe in bad mouthing equipment, installed properly they will do he job.

Cool

Goodman, decent unit, not my favorite, but certainly not the worst... and as for Home Warranties... they suck... the home warranty company contracts the HVAC guy to do the work at 160-185 per call and it's up to the hvac contractor to fix it no matter if it's a compressor or just a wire they only get paid 185 dollars.. for example, so they're going to try and do whatever the cheapest repair is going to be. They'll bypass a lot of things, crimp sensing bulbs.. stuff like that. Not every a/c guy is doing this, just examples of things I've seen. There are a lot of a/c units that are on concrete, but if your unit is level and the concrete is ok, I'd ask the contractor why do I need one... goodluck

Udarrel, you ever install or deal with an Aire Flo unit... split system? Might change your mind LOL, but generally speaking I'd say you're right.

Thanks for the quick replies! I will post a pic as soon as I can. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I gather from the replies, the condenser pad's only purpose is to keep the condenser leveled/balanced?

the only time I've seen a "plastic pad" is when there's no concrete. Yeah you don't want the unit vibrating in the dirt, might dig a hole eventually