Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Need Urgent Help!-air conditioning.

Post Likes
    i assure you that i am not a troll, otherwise i would have not taken that picture and posted the info

I don't like to talk in a derisive tone to others or show off intelligence. I am not an arrogant person. I detest arrogance.

I am a theoretical physicist. And let me tell you, it does not teach you about how mechanical systems work. I know in theory how most things work (such as an ac unit), but i know in theory. I know how an airplane flies in theory. Does that mean i can build one? No i certanly cant.

All the work i do is pure math, and i would classify myself as more of a mathmatician (exucse my spelling, i type fast). Classes in lobachevsky geometry, or tensor calculus have nothing to do with real life. For those people who think I am a troll, well how do i respond to that?

Within this forum i have gathered invaluable information. I would like to thank everybody who responded, especially the posters who went out of their way to type such long posts. Those were the most helpful.

I have a big list of contractors who I have called, and i have winnowed the good ones from the bad. A few days ago i had no idea what a manual J was, but now i know.

Also i had certanly (i will never learn how to spell that word) learned what is the right price. I came to this forum setting my expectations to a few hundred dollars for a fix. Now i know it is much beyond that.

You guys have no idea how much i appreciate the information that has been supplied to me. I have a list of all the things that were suggested.

For those who are still with me I have to ask a question. What is so difficult about duct work and if i get a new unit( which i will most likely get) why does the duct work have to be modified? Why cant the duct work stay the same. Also, why does duct work cost in the thousands to have modified?

Thanks a bunch everybody.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by krusty2515 View Post
    For those who are still with me I have to ask a question. What is so difficult about duct work and if i get a new unit( which i will most likely get) why does the duct work have to be modified? Why cant the duct work stay the same. Also, why does duct work cost in the thousands to have modified?

Thanks a bunch everybody.
    Trying to keep building costs down in places the consumer can't see the difference, results in duct work that is often marginal at best.

If you end up with a higher capacity unit, your duct work will probably require major work to handle the extra air flow. Duct work is labor intensive and doing it right requres people with experience and training. Doing it cheap is why you are having your current problems.

Post Likes
    Duct work is labor intensive and doing it right requres people with experience and training.
    What Paul said on cost.

The reason you want it right is 1) it is the air and its specific heat which is transferring energy, 2) it takes the right quantity, the right velocity, the right pressures, the right balances of air to transfer energy. Fluid (air) resistance costs you money in electrical usage of the fan.

There are a lot of ways to calculate the ducts, but the common residential method is by Manual D. (Balanced simultaneous energy equations to a physicist).

Post Likes
    yes airmechanical, Mr. Beshvac knows I'm on the computer...he's my boss
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes

Don't know what part of the state Krusty calculates from

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    For a claimed math guy, his postings certainly don't add up to much other then someone who has every excuse imaginable as to why he will never succede in having his HVAC properly repaired.

If this guy is so untrusting of everyone in our trade in Mississsippi, then what does he think of us?

Nah....this is a troll. Some lonely soul who is craving human reactions on the Internet.
    but here, near Tupelo, we have some kick A@@ techs. Honest as the day is long and work w/you if your willin' to work w/them.

Post Likes

What you guys do on a service call if the weather turns bad

(Severe T'storm, etc) if you're required to work outside?

Post Likes
    If lightning is striking, I get in the truck and try to wait it out.
    If not possible. Well, the A/C will still be there tomorrow.

Post Likes
    row.

Post Likes
    Ok i understand now. So if i got a new unit, does the whole ductwork need to be completely changed, or is it just modified. The quotes i am getting seem right if it is labor intensive and he has to rework the whole thing.

When the guy says ductwork, does he buy new ducts? And are those also factored in the cost?

Post Likes
    Varies with the individual job, as far as how much duckwork has to be replaced, or helper ducts used.

We can't tell what he's including in the contract. You'll have to ask your contractors what they are including.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in