Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Okay

[QUOTE=beenthere;1915666]Never heard of booties removing contaiminates from a system.

Never heard a micron gauge helping a system be corrected or sized properly. I have made more people happy with booties than micron gauge. It is all rellavant to what is happening on each job. I don't live in a perfect world like you. I do have units that are going on 15 Years and no micron gauge and no manaul J. Thank God for luck. I own 2 micron gauges and use the wrightsoft F-280 program(that is the canadian version of manual J)but don't use it on every job. I guess I am what you call hasbeen.:eek
    Do it right the first time.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=frijoli;1915696]I have just been through all this trying to find a my Okay this is the guy I was looking for! Everyone agree?

Please tell me he had his booties on.

Its no harder to find a HVAC guy, then to find a good auto repair guy.
    And you tell if an auto repair guy is good until you've him either.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    . I guess I am what you call hasbeen. :eek
    That makes no sense.

Must be a Canadian thing.
    Contractor locator map

Hasbeen

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    That makes no sense.

Must be a Canadian thing.

IT Is someone who is still in the past and still does things the old way even though their is a better way.I might be wrong as usual but, I think it is an american thing too.

A hasbeen is not a good thing down here.
    Contractor locator map

Really

A hasbeen is not a good thing down here.

It is not a good thing up here either. I am joking. I don't have all the answers but enough to keep a roof over my head a some money in the bank and a good familly to keep me going

I completely agree with frijoli on this one. Not do debase anybody's profession, but AC men are not the best critical thinkers. I called one today who charged 50 dollars to come out for 45 minutes. The guy told me that i needed 5 tons for a 2000 sq ft side of a house.

I asked him how did you know that. He said, "because there isint much air coming from the vent"

After reading this forum, i know that their are a multitude of problems that have charchterstics as low air flow.

Then he went into my attic and said i would need all new ducts because of the new unit.

Knowing this guy was a total fraud, I asked him to do a manual J just to get my money's worth. His response was " I don't need to. I already know what the problem is. Your unit is too weak, and your ducts have to be modified for your new unit that i will be installing."

Not to be rude or anything I let the guy sum up the total cost of the job which he "thought" was right. Lets just say the cost was a low 5 digit number.

Also for people who say every profession has frauds, I would have to disagree. In my profession i model math equations for phenomena of the universe. I could explain in detail how it is impossible to cheat in this field but I don't think many people like that stuff. A forum should be a place of help for people of less experience, not a place to allude to the poster how ignorant he is.

Here is what i am asking: What questions to I ask a contractor when he is at my house to know that he knows what he is doing? and What do you do when a bunch of "reputable" contractors come to your house but all disagree with each other and have widely different "opinions" of what is wrong?

I have called 7 people as of july 5, and their has been no general concensuss as to what is wrong. Some of these contractors agree with each other on some things, but no contractor meets up with any other contractors's diagnossis of the problem.

So now I am past the point of just calling someone. Actually i would say i am a step behind. No work can get done if the problem cannot be figured out. The reason this is, is becuase my house was built and then added one BEFORE i moved into it.

So what do i do now?

Quote Originally Posted by krusty2515 View Post

Also for people who say every profession has frauds, I would have to disagree. In my profession i model math equations for phenomena of the universe. I could explain in detail how it is impossible to cheat in this field but I don't think many people like that stuff. A forum should be a place of help for people of less experience, not a place to allude to the poster how ignorant he is.

That's a pretty rare job.

Do you sell those to the public???

In any trade where sales are the main source of income there is room for the wonderful human ingenuity....

Did someone try to elude to how ignorant someone was? I didn't see that and it usually would not go down like that. I see people trying to help.

Did you get the How do you select a contractor?

Go to NCI website and look for NCI contractors in your area.

So no way for some one in your field to fudge numbers. And pass them off to Joe Smoo as acturate.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by krusty2515 View Post

So what do i do now?

Can you post pictures sometimes that'll get the ball rolling with some ideas at least.

Go to NCI website and look for NCI contractors in your area.

So no way for some one in your field to fudge numbers. And pass them off to Joe Smoo as acturate.

In case he didn't know about NCI or the whole name.

http://www.nationalcomfortinstitute.com/find.cfm

I'm just a dumb old maintenance guy,but I would suggest asking friends,family,or co-workers for a good HVAC guy. As for the re-located yankee--- I am also. NC is a great place. Remember why you decided to move here. Every place has its pro's and con's.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast