Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    In regards to what paul said. Has nothing to do with service, I would recommend only taking advice from professional members.
    performing a manual J and using micron gauges has nothing to do with service?

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    This is Mrs. Beshvac: I've lived in the south for a long time (more than 15 years). I am a transplanted yankee. Be careful in the south...there are plenty of stupid techs out there named Bubba who have a truck with a small trailer and not much experience. They are called hacks. Do not go with the lowest bidder, get 3 estimates and pick the "best" not necessarily the lowest. Any company worth their salt is not going to give their service away for free. Even operating as a small company, we compete with larger companies in price. If you're good, your won't be giving your service away for nothing and will stand behind your service if there is a problem.

Transplanted Yankee? You could have left that sentence out and we would still have known. lol Nothing against yank's, just that a lot of the transplant's think they are better and smarter than we are. Good tech's and bad tech's anywhere you go, same as any other profession. It's not regional.

As for sticking with the big companies??? A few years ago I picked up a Sunday edition of the Charlotte Observer. There in black and white in an advertisement for one of the area's largest contractors it stated {lifetime guarantee} on their heat pump's. How dishonest is that? If there is a tech around here somewhere that's called Bubba, I'll guarantee you he'll be more honest.

In our area, it's the small contractors that do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by model m-man View Post
    Transplanted Yankee? You could have left that sentence out and we would still have known. lol Nothing against yank's, just that a lot of the transplant's think they are better and smarter than we are. Good tech's and bad tech's anywhere you go, same as any other profession. It's not regional.

As for sticking with the big companies??? A few years ago I picked up a Sunday edition of the Charlotte Observer. There in black and white in an advertisement for one of the area's largest contractors it stated {lifetime guarantee} on their heat pump's. How dishonest is that? If there is a tech around here somewhere that's called Bubba, I'll guarantee you he'll be more honest.

In our area, it's the small contractors that do a better job.

i was in brunswick county in april and was talking about moving there
    i was asked one favor from my friends wife if i should move

NEVER SAY WELL WE DO IT THIS WAY UP NORTH
    and she was not kiddding

techs are techs doent matter where they live. Even here i know a couple of babas that know there ****

As for sticking with the big companies??? A few years ago I picked up a Sunday edition of the Charlotte Observer. There in black and white in an advertisement for one of the area's largest contractors it stated {lifetime guarantee} on their heat pump's. How dishonest is that?
    Well, if it was for the Goodmans with the lifetime warranty, what is dishonest about that.
    And there are other units with a lifetime warranty.

They all have fine print, but they have a lifetime warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    performing a manual J and using micron gauges has nothing to do with service?
    Not really. Manual J and D is before an installation and a micron guage is used during installation or after major surgery. Service is another ball game.

Picking a contractor with those two question's is pretty much useless. You'll most likely get a false answer or one you won't like. In actuality very few changeout's get a new load calculation done unless there are problems with the unit that's already there.

For some reason I seem not to mind standing in left field by myself.

I think Paul needs company, so I'll stand beside him on this service call, being a one tha asking if they will do a Manual J, and D.

The OP seems to be looking for a company that will verify proper unit size, and proper duct sizing.

So it seems to me, Pauls recommendations for this service call, would be valid.

If it was a drain line over flowing,it would not be valid.
    Contractor locator map

Not really. Manual J and D is before an installation and a micron guage is used during installation or after major surgery. Service is another ball game.

Picking a contractor with those two question's is pretty much useless. You'll most likely get a false answer or one you won't like. In actuality very few changeout's get a new load calculation done unless there are problems with the unit that's already there.

here when you pull permits a load calc is required before they are approved

heating or cooiling doesnt matter load must be submitted with the permit

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Well, if it was for the Goodmans with the lifetime warranty, what is dishonest about that.
    And there are other units with a lifetime warranty.

They all have fine print, but they have a lifetime warranty.
    LOL - Don't remember the brand, and technically you're correct. It's the fine print that I don't like and feel is dishonest or it woulden't be hidden.

I'm old school and I don't like any lifetime guarantee that doesn't use the buyers lifetime as the standard.

If a young newlywed couple of about 25 years of age were to buy this new heatpump with a lifetime guarantee how long will it last? Would it still be working on their 25 anniversary? Probably not. How about their 50'th? Definitely not. Can the manufacturer's afford to give away new equipment throughout the buyer's lifetime as it wears out? NO. Can the contractor stay in buisness doing all that free work? No.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. JMO

LOL - Don't remember the brand, and technically you're correct. It's the fine print that I don't like and feel is dishonest or it wouldn't be hidden.

Most people wouldn't read the fine print in the newspaper to begin with. let alone the add if it was included in the add.

I'm old school and I don't like any lifetime guarantee that doesn't use the buyers lifetime as the standard.

In some instances, the buyers lifetime is shorter then the equipment.

If a young newlywed couple of about 25 years of age were to buy this new heat pump with a lifetime guarantee how long will it last? Would it still be working on their 25 anniversary? Probably not. How about their 50'th? Definitely not.

Current trend is that that couple will either be divorced or have moved before the units life span is over.
    Many of those warranties were also transferable to the next owner. Some were reduced to 10 years for the new owners, some 20 years.

Can the manufacturer's afford to give away new equipment throughout the buyer's lifetime as it wears out? NO. Can the contractor stay in business doing all that free work? No.

Its the equipment that has teh lifetime warranty, not the labor.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. JMO
    Thermopride has had a lifetime limited warranty on their heat exchangers since before I got in the trade, they still make parts for their 30 and 40 year old furnaces, and they will honor the lifetime warranty on those furnaces.

So not all "sounds too good to be true" warranties are just propaganda.

You should read some of those warranties, before you decide if they are a scam or not.
    Contractor locator map

Yah and micron gauge will help TOO

[QUOTE=beenthere;1915520]For some reason I seem not to mind standing in left field by myself. I think Paul needs company, so I'll stand beside him on this service call, being a one tha asking if they will do a Manual J, and D.
    The OP seems to be looking for a company that will verify proper unit size, and proper duct sizing. So it seems to me, Pauls recommendations for this service call, would be valid.

Well for me beenthere I have never been asked, If I use a micron gauge and do manual J for a service call. I would asses the sernario and if things were close or ducting size was small then I would take what ever corrective action needs to. So what about micron gauge and how will that help, would'nt you rather ask if company wears booties.
    Do it right the first time.

Never heard of booties removing contaiminates from a system.

The OP is looking for duct corrections. And possibly a new unit.
    Contractor locator map

I have just been through all this trying to find a reputable contractor.
    It amazes me that "professionals" bicker about how to find one. If you guys can't figure this out, how is a layman supposed to?

You say "watch out!" , "don't get a hack!", "Don't go with the cheapest, or you'll get burned."

I tried to find one for 2 weeks. Several I called complained about how much freon cost the days. I never asked about cost, I asked if someone could check my system which I thought was low on freon, and which wasn't working. I ended up paying 90 dollars to find out my compressor was bad and that my system was in fact full of freon. He also said that my whole system was too small for my house, and that he can't fix my problem.

I kept calling and asking around, and finally found an EX installer that recommended someone, keep in mind this was purely by chance. Now this new contractor said, How could the other contractor know if the system was full if the compressor was bad? How did he know the system was too small? did he do a manual j?

Okay this is the guy I was looking for! Everyone agree?

I said all that to say this; Your industry sucks big time at promoting proper people. I, as a consumer, have to plead to find the right person, but can't do so by looking in the phone book. Why? Because there is no way to know who is a hack and who isn't. which you guys agree too, but offer no real solutions to finding the right persons.

You can't even agree among yourselves as to what constitutes a good contractor.
    Let me say this, I don't care about cost if it's done properly. How do I know it's done properly at ANY cost?? I don't want to pay more than I have too, and I certainly don't want to pay anything for it to be done improperly. Yet I did pay 90 dollars to someone I thought was doing the right thing only to find out later he didn't know what he was doing, and NEITHER did I.

Rant over. I have a good contractor now, and a new unit.

Clay

Have you never been to a forum before?

All the bickering feels like home to me

Seriously though we try and give the advice that best fits the situation People miss sentences or get in a hurry or say things without fully thinking them through sometimes or at least I do. Whatever the case people will disagree at times.

The board moderates good information and will call out information that is misleading or not quiet true. Even then it may still be someones opinion that it's right or wrong way to do it....but still up for discussion unless it's clear cut case.

In a situation where someone is asking for advice there may not be a 100% right/wrong way to answer....the lines are slightly blurry.

Can you recommend a good car dealer.....I seem to have the same problems as you refer to.....as a matter of fact if you can recommend a fast food place, restaurant, car garage, chef, (sorry I'm hungry), house cleaner....I seem to have the same problem s with all those. I will think of some others you can recommend to me and will get back later.
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 07-05-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast