Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I gotta guy in Philiy that works outta a Schwin 10 speed. He's the man for Krusty. Does the load calc on the back of his hand, right in front of you! You can't beat his holiday service call. Here's his number BR-549

no i am not from philly. That is how people talk in the south.

Please exuse my ignorance, but how do i find a an HVAC contractor? And do they offer competative rates?

Call a A/C company

Ever heard of yellow pages, nothing in life is free.
    Do it right the first time.

what i am getting at is that there are a bunch of hvac contractors. Does this mean that they will charge generally around the same price/ and or the same rate? Also repair men in the gulfcoast area have a tendancy especially after the hurricane to do a "half @$$ job."

Also does HVAC mean that they have come acrreditdation to them?

Also with the comments about calling people. Things on the gulfcoast are certainly not the same as they are in the rest of america. There are so many people that are crooks over here who run off with your money or don't complete the job, it is astounding. It is hard to trust anybody that you do not really know. After Hurricane Katrina i went to live in north carolina, and one did not have to worry as much about getting ripped off. A great many people have started companies just to get a quick buck, and the dillema that is facing mississippi is who to trust.

Do not pay up front

Fix the A/C and then you get paid.

Look to see if they list certifications in the phone book.
    Check NCIs website for contractors in your area.

Competitive rates? When you find a cheap rate, you have to wonder what corner they're cutting.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

unfortunantly that mentality does not always work lol. Suppose the job only costs about a few thousand to do but the guy "invents" problems so he gets paid ten grand. Then who gets the last laugh?

Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean their not out to get you.

If you keep thinking that way. You will never be happy with any service you receive.
    What if it has all those problems. But you decide he's wrong, and use someone cheaper. And it still doesn't work, because the cheaper guy didn't know how to find all those other problems. Who's crying last then?

There are dishonest people in all walks of life, and in all trades. Even yours.
    There is no guarranty that if you use this guy, or this company that everything will be perfect, or you'll be happy with the price.

As urgent as you think your A/C is, it isn't. Take time and call contractors, and get estimates.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

This is Mrs. Beshvac: I've lived in the south for a long time (more than 15 years). I am a transplanted yankee. Be careful in the south...there are plenty of stupid techs out there named Bubba who have a truck with a small trailer and not much experience. They are called hacks. Do not go with the lowest bidder, get 3 estimates and pick the "best" not necessarily the lowest. Any company worth their salt is not going to give their service away for free. Even operating as a small company, we compete with larger companies in price. If you're good, your won't be giving your service away for nothing and will stand behind your service if there is a problem.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    This is Mrs. Beshvac: I've lived in the south for a long time (more than 15 years). I am a transplanted yankee. Be careful in the south...there are plenty of stupid techs out there named Bubba who have a truck with a small trailer and not much experience. They are called hacks. Do not go with the lowest bidder, get 3 estimates and pick the "best" not necessarily the lowest. Any company worth their salt is not going to give their service away for free. Even operating as a small company, we compete with larger companies in price. If you're good, your won't be giving your service away for nothing and will stand behind your service if there is a problem.
    does Mr. beshvac know your using his computer

As a consumer, I sympathize with your plight. It is really hard for anybody to figure out what HVAC company to go with.

What you want is somebody that takes pride in their work - that will eliminate the scoundrels.

I propose that you ask the following two questions of several HVAC companies.
    1. Do you perform a Manual J for every installation?
    2. Do you use micron gauges for every installation?

It is extremely likely, that any company that does both, takes pride in their work and will not cheat you. They will not be the cheapest company, but they will stand behind their work and you will get good service.

Anybody else have some questions that should be added to the list?

Quote Originally Posted by krusty2515 View Post
    what i am getting at is that there are a bunch of hvac contractors. Does this mean that they will charge generally around the same price/ and or the same rate? Also repair men in the gulfcoast area have a tendancy especially after the hurricane to do a "half @$$ job."

Also does HVAC mean that they have come acrreditdation to them?

Also with the comments about calling people. Things on the gulfcoast are certainly not the same as they are in the rest of america. There are so many people that are crooks over here who run off with your money or don't complete the job, it is astounding. It is hard to trust anybody that you do not really know. After Hurricane Katrina i went to live in north carolina, and one did not have to worry as much about getting ripped off. A great many people have started companies just to get a quick buck, and the dillema that is facing mississippi is who to trust.

ypu know we see this a lot here from people
    am i getting ripped off
    did i get ripped of
    is this guy going to rip me off
    and so on

if a guy charges you five grand and it doesnt work or work correctly then
    if a guy charges you ten grand because he does it right and it works properly then

you make the choice

What?

In regards to what paul said. Has nothing to do with service, I would recommend only taking advice from professional members.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast