+ Reply to Thread

Thread: going to ice up

Post Likes

going to ice up

Im working on a 5ton r22 ac system with a txv, the suction pressure is at 32_33deg saturation, subcooling is at 12°, and superheat at 20°. The indoor temp is around 68°(becaise the customer wants it that cold for their wine). It has an 18"and a 10" return, and 6tons of supply ventilation (haven't checked the static but im assuming that its ok). Is r22 not meant to operate in that low of a load, because when I take the cover off the blower door and suck in warm attic air my saturation goes up to 40°.

Post Likes
    Restricted return, or low supply air flow???

52 degree suction line, it isn't freezing due to a refrigerant issue.
    "If history repeats itself I am so getting a dinosaur"

Post Likes
    Return looks good, I took the covers and filters off and it changed nothing.

Post Likes
    Supposedly it has worked fine for years

Post Likes
    I think that is normal ,considering you are on the verge of refrigeration. The lo side load is low so the suction should also be lower. Does the evap freeze over?

Post Likes
    Hasnt yet but with the saturation bordering freezing im afraid it will. Im almost tempted to open expansion valve a hair to bring it up a little

Post Likes
    Check the existing SH , leave it at normal.They might be lucky enough to have enough "off cycle defrost" just like refrigeration.

Post Likes
    Why were you called out? It probably has run like that all the time, since what they are doing is basically a refer unit.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    How much wine do they have? sure seems like a waste of a 5 ton unit

Post Likes
    Drink enough Ripple Wine and you will see a waste

Post Likes
    I was called out due to a compressor burnout, replaced compressor flushed lines and noticed system has no filter dryer and no screen before piston. Afyer replacement turned sysyem on and my suction was way low, about 45_50 psi and icing up. Cleaned cpndenser coil and debri of condenser fan motor. Ran again, and could not get my suction psi up, or superheat down. So I suspected a plugged cap tube, so we replaced coil. Now my superheat is better and suction stauration is better but still not were I would like it.

Post Likes
    Check for a dryer inside the cond. unit. It may be plugged.
    I miss you mom and dad.

Post Likes
    OK. Your Entering the Freeze Up Zone. (tv pun intended)

You have TXV trouble.
    When you enter the Zone,you must rethink your Basic's.
    You HAVE to Increase your SH,Starve the Evap,lower Charge(in our case),Adjust CFM.
    We did this on an Old RUUD Gaspac with Captube's.NO piston or TXV.
    I would go after the TXV and if it was adjustable,Check to see if it's been molested..
    Not sure how far I can go Here at times so I'll leave you with this adv.
    No matter how long you have been doing this,
    Go back and reread the Basic's.You WILL Learn something.
    Why is it called,an Act of GOD when IT has Nothing to do with Him?
    Will of the Devil would be more appropriate IMO.Just Saying.
    PSALMS, 18 & 25.
    I am Tired of High Efficiency Propaganda.

Post Likes
    OAT? Indoor wet bulb? Temperature drop?

Yeah, I know, this is a TXV, but low load/low temperature is going to bring low suction pressure under certain circumstances. This is medium refrigeration after all.

Post Likes
    Oat was 75, wet bulb65, did not get temp drop across coil, but differential is 18

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by claysontech View Post
    Oat was 75, wet bulb65, did not get temp drop across coil, but differential is 18
    When you mean differential, are you talking about the difference between return and supply temperature? If so, that would be your temperature drop.

Assuming airflow is perfect at both the condenser and evaporator, I would say low load is the problem. 68 degree return is very low and if there isn't a lot of moisture in the air, that can cause your low side saturation temperature to drop below freezing. This doesn't necessarily mean the coil will freeze over because if there's a lack of moisture in the air, there's nothing to freeze on the coil. You might see some light frosting, but it's perfectly normal considering the conditions.

My only other thoughts are you might still be low by 1/2 a pound or so. Some systems operate with subcooling as high as 14 degrees, so 12 degrees isn't high by any stretch. Once you start getting above 15 degrees, then you may have an issue.

Keep in mind residential systems aren't in controlled environments, so it's useless to split hairs in some cases.

Post Likes
    I really appreciate all the feedback.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in