Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cell phone gestapo out in full force

just the other day i was driving down the street and i saw a motorcylce cop,

i said "gee, you don't see to many of those these days. guess it's too dangerous"

today it was pathetic!

the "no cell phone" law went into effect,...
    we were driving around Burbank,
    cops were hiding in gas stations , by the sides of the road, i saw motorcycle cops all over the place.

trying to bust people for F'ing cell phones.

this new law has created a series of "smash-and-grab" robberies.
    once again government action has increased crime.

now, if the criminals know Bluetooth phones will be big bucks for them, imagine how much money "legitimate" business will be racking up.

it's the ultimate business, you buy a 3 dollars piece of junk from China, you get government to pass a law practically forcing people to buy your product (AKA kickbacks) , and you sell th phone for $150, or whatever.

don't worry folks, it's not really that way, the truth is, government cares about safety when your opperating your motor vehicle.
    Last edited by wolfstrike; 07-02-2008 at 11:13 PM.

now that the government has solved all the problems with the murder rate,
    gangs,
    drugs ,
    prostitution,
    homeless,

they have free time to work towards ytour safety, by stalking the public and handing out tickets for using your cell phone.

the government wants to make sure everyone gets home safely, ...they care

I've never used a cell phone while driving. In fact, I don't even own a cell phone. My wife has the cell phone, and she handles the calls when riding with me.

I must be missing something here. Perhaps I'm the most unproductive individual in the U.S.

Is that statewide?

just wait until the smoking bans go across the board. Had some commentators on Iowa talk radio describing how there won't be "smoking police". The first year will be mostly "education", and the bulk of the actions will be neighbors calling on each other.

This is going to get ugly. And to add insult to injury, just about most businesses are now required to post this idiotic little "no smoking" sign on the doors, in the vans, etc. I'm thinking of wearing one like the Jews had to wear the Star of David around their sleeve, just because I'm Mr. Attitude.
    The government can get a job in the private sector and go piss up a rope if they want to help.

Wolf, I hope that there are important parallels to your thread about cellphones. Not trying to hijack, just piling on the police state in general.

It's going to be neighbor against neighbor. Cell phones, though, may always require direct police action. That is, until the surveillance camera and the biometric ID system kicks in .
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

i just saw a TV report where they said pubs are closing in england.

they gave a whole list of BS economy reasons, then, 'oh, by-the-way',
    "England now has a smoking ban in pubs"
    , and the politicians are doing what they do best, taxing the hell out of alcohol.

they said "up to 17 pubs are closing per week", killing pub traditions that have been in England fro hundreds of years.

they said 5700 pubs remain

Me and the missus were vacationing in Ireland during May of last year. Unbeknownst to us, we had arrived about 2 weeks after their no smoking ban went into effect. Since a goal of ours was to visit as many pubs as possible, we quickly noticed an odd thing: most of the patrons would stand outside of the pub drinking their Guinness instead of remaining inside.

Well, they also wanted a smoke. At times, there were so few people inside the pub that we would also stand outside with the smokers.

It sure made finding a pub easy. Just look for the crowd standing outside. Not that it was particularly difficult finding a pub in Ireland in the first place...

Bluetooth devices are not the only hands-free option for cell phone usage.
    Cell phone usage while driving is just as dangerous as putting on make-up, reading maps/books, writing, etc. Distracted drivers are dangerous drivers. The same people biatching about the cell phone usage laws while driving are, more likely than not, the same that think people (women) are idiots for putting on make-up while driving. They would be correct.
    While driving a vehicle there is one major function the driver should be concerned with and that is DRIVING.
    Many cell phones now have totally hands-free options without using bluetooth or head pieces. It's called speaker phone and voice commands. It's very common. We've been using with our cellphones for years.

And people think Missourians are red-necks...

Oh, another note. Using a cell phone without a hands-free device while driving has been outlawed on all military installations for several years. There's a reason for it.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The crazy thing is....the dangerous part about using a phone while driving is dialing the number and looking at the screen, not really the talking on it. Handsfree devices don't help that.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    The crazy thing is....the dangerous part about using a phone while driving is dialing the number and looking at the screen, not really the talking on it. Handsfree devices don't help that.
    You can use Bluetooth along with the "voice-command" feature on your cell. (providing your phone/service has that capability)
    In honor of Murray Woodgate (aka Carnak) 1961 - 2010

Quote Originally Posted by pabull View Post
    You can use Bluetooth along with the "voice-command" feature on your cell. (providing your phone/service has that capability)
    True, I just wonder how many people use the feature. Plus it doesn't work so well on "dial by number" stuff, especially in a noisy service van.

So police have laptops in their car and we can't have cell phones

I like solitaire to dagnabit.

How many think it will actually stop texting while driving? (the most dangerous of them all)

Even out here in podunk we have cell phones that have voice command options, speaker phones, bluetooth, good ole ear buds etc.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast