Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5 Ton Trane XR14 VS Rheem RPNL

Post Likes
    The 3D has integrated Trane Clean Effects. Could be a mistake. Did your contractor mention it? I wouldn't get a system that wasn't an ARI-rated match personally. Ask your contractor about it. The ratings with the 3F and 3D can differ.

Post Likes
    I will ask and see, I certainly didn't ask for that (and based on the price quote I would not think I am supposed to have it).

I agree, I wanted to see the matched system on the AFI and CEE lists and did not find it.

Dennis

Post Likes
    Would the new White-Rodgers 1F95-1291 90 series "big blue" thermostat work in place of the highly recommended (based on searches here) 1F95-391 for my application - heat pump for heating and cooling with backup strip electric heat with a variable speed air handler?

It looks like it has the same dehumidify function as the older stat but has the large 12"x12" touch pad display. It also has a "comfort circulator fan option" which appears similar to the IAQ "circ" mode for fan.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Post Likes
    Can it also slow the blower like the IAQ.

Post Likes
    The install and operations manual is here http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6914.pdf

Page 3 shows a DHM terminal and it goes low (0v) to call for dehumidification. I think both the Rheem RHKL and Trane 4TEE have terminals for this and when they get the signal they run in cooling mode with slow(er) speed fan.

BTW, the model I was comparing to is the 1F95-391 and not the 1f97, which does not have a DHM terminal. It looks like the 1F95 is available in some places, but has been discontinued by WR.

Dennis

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sjesp View Post
    Bryant heat pumps are air conditioners that can also heat your home
    The rock-solid Bryant Evolution Series heat pump offers Bryant's highest efficiency performance and most comfort options, and our Preferred™ Series and Legacy™ Line products provide economical comfort. Remember, the higher the SEER and HSPF ratings, the more cost-savings you can realize. Plus, you can add a Bryant gas furnace and enjoy hybrid heating.
    Looks like we got a true salesman on our hands here....

OP, get what you feel most comfortable with. All systems you have chosen are good systems. Each brand has its own corks and screws about them but so does anything else you will be getting...

Remember that you are buying the contractor and not the brand. Don't go with your low ball bids. Take your time, pick and choose carefully. I know it sucks being hot with no AC but its always best to take an extra day or two and get the best you can possibly buy....

And don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions. Thats why we are here. And make sure to post pics once it is done so we can critique the work performed.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAA HVACR View Post
    HELLO,..

i havent looked up the specific equipment your talking about but i will say that trane equipment is by far superior,..so my advice would be to spend the extra $$$ .

is this an air to air heat pump?

single phase or three phase? (if its residential its probably single)

what part of the country?

i will also mention that all the bells and whistles are the first thing to go wrong,..anytime you try to make one thing do everything it fails,...thats the problem with heat pumps in general,...they dont cool good and the dont heat good,....they do both ok (i guess),...(you would get better results with a conventional ac and a seperate heat source)

and no,..i am not a trane salesman..(like the bryant dude that posted earlier)

AAAA HVACR

Where are you getting this information???

Far superior? Bells and Whisles? Heat pump can only do ok? 3 phase?

You need to slow down there turbo. You are quick to throw out brand names like they mean something.

Brand names are a thing of the past man. Now a days, your Trane coil is made in the same factory as a Carrier...just a different corner.

What I am getting at is all components are now made out of country. Mainy Mexico and China. And then assembled here in the USA. So how does that make 1 brand better than another???

Not tryin to bust your balls there supertech. Just trying to get and give some perspective.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    One more t-stat question, they don't stock the new White Rodgers 1f95-1291 but can get it "in a few days".

What about the Carrier TP-PRH stat? I looks like it is similar. The only question is does it have the proper DHM contacts and can it be made to close them (supply 0V) to make the Trane handler dehumidify.

I decided on the variable speed Rheem handler, now trying to come up with an IN STOCK t-stat for it.

Thanks!
    Dennis

Post Likes
    Since you seem to be looking for a stat that has the deatures of the Honeywell IAQ.
    Why not just get the Honeywell IAQ?

Post Likes
    My contractor's wholesaler did not have the IAQ in stock, he (contractor)called a few minutes ago and agreed to supply me the IAQ and external temp sensor from another wholesaler at no extra cost (compared to what he had quoted me). Probably costing him a little extra since he is having to use someone other than his normal source. Getting the "free" external temp sensor installed is a nice bonus.

So I am getting the Rheem RPNL030 2.5 ton 410a heat pump, RHKL3617 variable speed handler, and the Honeywell IAQ t-stat installed in the morning.

The Trane would have been less money but would cost a bit more to cool and a good bit more to heat than the Rheem. The Rheem with the fixed speed X motor would have been less as well but I wanted to try a variable speed blower this time. What put me off the variable speed Rheem was the price, but I did not realize the quote included a programmable t-stat w/humidity AND the variable handler. Given the cost of the t-stat and installation of it I decided that was a fair price for the upgrade. "In theory" I will save back some of the money by being able to run a higher set point and dehumidifying during cooling season. That is one thing the ARI / CEE ratings and number don't reflect since fixed or variable speed they are all run full speed for the tests.

Dennis

Post Likes
    Is this the way you guys finish off your work? Just wondering, maybe it is just me - but this just does not look good.

Dennis

Post Likes
    Sure could have been done neater.

Post Likes
    All they needed to do is add a few tie wraps to neaten it up. Plus, where's the plastic circuit breaker seal/cover that comes with the heater pak? Post some more pix!

Post Likes

Thumbs down

They should be ashamed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by machery View Post
    All they needed to do is add a few tie wraps to neaten it up. Plus, where's the plastic circuit breaker seal/cover that comes with the heater pak? Post some more pix!
    There is a "knock out" in the door to the handler and the breaker for the strip heater is poking through that.

Attached is a picture.

I don't have any pictures handy, but the condensing unit seems to be installed and placed fine and the rest of the handler install appears fine - the low voltage wiring is what really jumps out at you.

Dennis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in