Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I thnk you'll find that Rheem calls it Comfort contour.

The slow ramp profile is nice.
    But with a humidistat, or thermostat that can slow the blower, VS blowers provide better comfort then the slow ramp does.
    The slow ramp up waste time and electric on the hotter summer days, ramping the blower up slow, when it should be going to full speed quicker.

PS: A thermostat like the IAQ that can slow blower speed.is better then getting a thermostat and a humidistat to control the A/C.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

On hotter summer days won't a properly sized system be running most all the time anyway? If so, then the speed ramp up of comfort-r would not come into play?

I looked at the info on the IAQ and the installation instructions and it does not cover this exact set up. From searches here and the install doc it looks like you pull a jumper off the IAQ interface module and wire the DHUM contacts over to the air handler's dehumidify contact points? This should work with either the Trane 4TEE or the Rheem variable speed handler?

Wired like this, then the IAQ would close those contacts if the humidity is too high (even is the temp is OK) and cause the handler to run at slower speed (80%?) until the humidity drops? If the temp is too high then that overrides the dehumidify call and the handler runs and 100% until the temp is OK? Again, this should work on either brand's variable speed handler. In the case of the Trane, I could or should (?) have the Comfort-R setting programmed OFF (DIP switches?) since the assumption is that the IAQ would take care of the humidity and when cooling was called for so the handler should not ramp up?

Thanks!
    Dennis

At design or above design temps the A/C would be running constant.
    But if design is 95, and its 90 outside, your A/C will be cycling. And at that temp, the humidity will already be down in the house. So a slow ramp up isn't needed under that ambient condition. It should go to full speed just about as soon as teh A/C starts in that temp.

A call for cooling doesn't over ride blower slow down. That would defeat part of the dehumidification control ability.
    Contractor locator map

HELLO,..

i havent looked up the specific equipment your talking about but i will say that trane equipment is by far superior,..so my advice would be to spend the extra $$$ .

is this an air to air heat pump?

single phase or three phase? (if its residential its probably single)

what part of the country?

i will also mention that all the bells and whistles are the first thing to go wrong,..anytime you try to make one thing do everything it fails,...thats the problem with heat pumps in general,...they dont cool good and the dont heat good,....they do both ok (i guess),...(you would get better results with a conventional ac and a seperate heat source)

and no,..i am not a trane salesman..(like the bryant dude that posted earlier)

AAAA HVACR

Quote Originally Posted by AAAA HVACR View Post
    HELLO,..

I haven't looked up the specific equipment your talking about but i will say that Trane equipment is by far superior,..so my advice would be to spend the extra $$$ .

AAAA HVACR
    Far superior in what way. Explain.

The 13, and 14 SEER units are good, the 15 SEER is ok, The 16i, don't even go there.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by AAAA HVACR View Post
    HELLO,..

i havent looked up the specific equipment your talking about but i will say that trane equipment is by far superior

AAAA HVACR
    Yea, that wimpy 8.00 HSPF of the Trane is far superior to the 9.25 of the Rheem

I can't find the Trane air handler model number in the AFI database.

The heat pump is XR13 2.5 Ton - 4TWR3030A1 which check outs, but the quote lists the handler as 4TEE3F31D1.

The only match with the 4TWR3030A1 is with the "4TEE3F31B1" .

Anything different between the "B" and "D" models besides one letter ?

1106402 Active Systems XR13 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR3030A1 4TEE3F31B1 31000 12.00 14.00 28600 8.00 15300 1 HRCU-A-CB 190 516

Thanks!
    Dennis

The 3D has integrated Trane Clean Effects. Could be a mistake. Did your contractor mention it? I wouldn't get a system that wasn't an ARI-rated match personally. Ask your contractor about it. The ratings with the 3F and 3D can differ.

I will ask and see, I certainly didn't ask for that (and based on the price quote I would not think I am supposed to have it).

I agree, I wanted to see the matched system on the AFI and CEE lists and did not find it.

Dennis

Would the new White-Rodgers 1F95-1291 90 series "big blue" thermostat work in place of the highly recommended (based on searches here) 1F95-391 for my application - heat pump for heating and cooling with backup strip electric heat with a variable speed air handler?

It looks like it has the same dehumidify function as the older stat but has the large 12"x12" touch pad display. It also has a "comfort circulator fan option" which appears similar to the IAQ "circ" mode for fan.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Can it also slow the blower like the IAQ.
    Contractor locator map

The install and operations manual is here http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6914.pdf

Page 3 shows a DHM terminal and it goes low (0v) to call for dehumidification. I think both the Rheem RHKL and Trane 4TEE have terminals for this and when they get the signal they run in cooling mode with slow(er) speed fan.

BTW, the model I was comparing to is the 1F95-391 and not the 1f97, which does not have a DHM terminal. It looks like the 1F95 is available in some places, but has been discontinued by WR.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by sjesp View Post
    Bryant heat pumps are air conditioners that can also heat your home
    The rock-solid Bryant Evolution Series heat pump offers Bryant's highest efficiency performance and most comfort options, and our Preferred™ Series and Legacy™ Line products provide economical comfort. Remember, the higher the SEER and HSPF ratings, the more cost-savings you can realize. Plus, you can add a Bryant gas furnace and enjoy hybrid heating.
    Looks like we got a true salesman on our hands here....

OP, get what you feel most comfortable with. All systems you have chosen are good systems. Each brand has its own corks and screws about them but so does anything else you will be getting...

Remember that you are buying the contractor and not the brand. Don't go with your low ball bids. Take your time, pick and choose carefully. I know it sucks being hot with no AC but its always best to take an extra day or two and get the best you can possibly buy....

And don't be afraid to ask plenty of questions. Thats why we are here. And make sure to post pics once it is done so we can critique the work performed.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast