Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good and Bad Name Brands for Tools

I know Craftsman and Klein are good name brands for tools as is Dewalt for power tools. What other brands are good to look at and which are the ones to steer clear of? Figured if I'm going to lay out money, I may as well be sure I'm going to get the value of my money and longevity of the tool. We have a Harbor Freight over here in Philly and I hear their stuff is crap... only good for buying things you tend to forget and leave at the job or items coworkers tend to 'borrow'.

Good brands, for a variety of different things other than the ones you mentioned, Milwaukee, Yellow Jacket, Testo, Cooper (cordless pipe clamp thermometer).

Don't forget HUSKY brand hand tools, you can get them from Home Depot.
    There's also Snap-On, Matco, GearWrench, and a whole host of others I can't remember but have many of those tools.
    There are some great deals to be had for tools from Harbor Freight and Northern Tool and Equipment, you just have to know how to find the gems among the chaff.
    Personally, I'm not real fond of any craftsman tool, they don't last very long when I use them, even when I use them for their intended purpose.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

I think it all depends upon what type of tool your looking for. Craftsman is fine for wrenches and stuff but I would not use one of their meters. For meters I default to Fluke.

Drills and other electric hand tools I stick with Milwaukee or Makita.

I think your question should be narrowed down more.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

sk makes a great wrench and socket set. whia make really good screwdrivers. channellock well we all know about them. ridgid for pipe wrenches. proto for misc hand tools. IMO tools aren't made like they used to be I have craftsman tools from my grandfather that outlast the same crap i buy from sears yearly

gearwrench makes for mastercraft maximum, klien makes good nutdrivers but the quality in there screwdrivers has slipped, i prefer wera or bahco and bahco is snap-on, they also make adjustables and pliers, I prefer lennox for pipes wrenches but then again it is more what feels good and lasts for you, for everyday tools buy good for the once a year tools buy cheap
    Last edited by bdivell; 07-07-2008 at 04:40 PM.

I use Snap On for hand tools, they are so expensive I seem to make an extra effort not to loose or forget them. Milwaukee has always been the standard for electric tools.

I like Mac....... but since I know they are made by Stanley I skip the middleman.

but most everything in my bag is Klein, Ritchie, Channel-lock, and Crescent.

Twilli says vice-grips
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I try to make sure all my hand tools are the ones with free replacement (craftsman, husky, etc...) I like the fact that as long as I don't lose it , I will never have to pay to replace it when it wears out, breaks, etc. Even if it is just "worn", they replace it no questions asked. As for power tools, my personal favorite is Dewalt, but there are other good ones, too. Definitely stay away from Black and Decker power tools, though.

Fine Tools

UEI, Robinair, Supco, Acme......................

Thumbs up tools

i love craftsman over the years because of their no time limit return/exchange policy . Bring your old screwdrivers , levels ratchets , etc. and walk out with a new one at any sears , no hassles ever. They now sell klein tools & meters..........Jack

Thumbs up tools

i love craftsman over the years because of their no time limit return/exchange policy . Bring your old screwdrivers , levels ratchets , etc. and walk out with a new one at any sears , no hassles ever. They now sell klein tools & meters..........Jack PS join their craftsman club and you get additional discounts with a monthly catalog , great deals on pressure washers , etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast