Thread: Condensate Pump Mystery (mis posted earlier)

Post Likes

Condensate Pump Mystery (mis posted earlier)

Our system is working fine. Except. It stopped a week ago when the overflow pan filled. It seemed the condensate pump (6 years old) had died. It was replaced. The new pump did not pump. Bench tests showed both pumps are fine. The line out of the condensate pump was flushed, then replaced. The pump works once or twice then "bubbles up" and doesn't work again. For the last week we've had the condensate pump routed into a bucket which we empty every few hours, depending upon the temperature. The condensate pump need only pump a foot or so vertical, the the line runs 25 feet or so across the attic to the side of the house, then out to the ground. The system works well, but hauling those buckets is a pain. What kind of physics is involved I do not know.
    Edit/Delete Message

Post Likes
    Find out what head the pump is rated for.
    Check for kinks in new line.

Post Likes
    BeenThere: 100% kink-free with no obstructions what so ever. The old and new pumps are rated 20. The old pump has 6 years of flawless working on it. It still works the same as the new pump, alas.

Post Likes
    If it pumps through a short line. But not the drain line you ran.
    You either got a defective new pump, or there is an obstruction in teh new drain line.

Post Likes
    If the new line is sloped down after the 2' of verticle rise then the only physics that should be affecting that portion on the way to the ground from an attic is gravity.

The line after the verticle section works just like any other sewer pipe in your home........ "stuff" flows downhill.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Find out what head the pump is rated for.
    Check for kinks in new line.
    Yes check this, It usually says like 15' cutoff or higher. Seems strange that it worked for 6 years though. But I have seen people install a 15' cutoff rated pump in a much longer drain, It also has a some to do with how much or it is vertically ran

Post Likes
    Hi DIY, what does your contractor think the next step is?

I have gone on a service call, where I drove my van to the end of the pipe, poked it with a screw driver (mud dawbers) and the water flew out for 5 mins. straight. The property owner couldn't believe it was that simple.
    Last edited by JWB; 07-02-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: DIY

Post Likes
    why would you need a pump in you attic. I would think a gravity drain would be better suited for that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Yes check this, It usually says like 15' cutoff or higher. Seems strange that it worked for 6 years though. But I have seen people install a 15' cutoff rated pump in a much longer drain, It also has a some to do with how much or it is vertically ran
    Its not 15" of length. Its 15" of height.

Post Likes

If it works on the bench it has to be the location.

The problem could be electrical, I would check for proper voltage and also check the neutral conductor. If it works on the bench it has to be the location.
    Ken

Post Likes
    beenthere:
    The new pump was removed and the cleaned-up old pump put into the line. It has been working thus far. Examination of the new pump disclosed the bb in the check valve was missing; it's a Flotec pump. Thanks for your comments, one should always check even new equipment.

Post Likes
    New equipment comes from a factory.
    A factory is a bunch of people watching the clock for quiting time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in