Thread: Heat Pump SEER comparo

Post Likes

Heat Pump SEER comparo

I'm new here -- signed up to get some advice on upgrading heat pumps -- my home has 2 heat pumps (upstairs / downstairs) I think one is a 2 Ton and the other is a 3 Ton.

We had the house built in '92 so these units are 16 years old -- brand is Lennox and they are 11 SEER.

I'm interested in replacing with 16 SEER -- questions:
    (BTW this will all be done by an A/C contractor)

1) What needs replacing besides the base unit?
    2) Can I replace just one unit (I'm thinking the downstairs unit, at least) and get some energy savings? It seems to run the most.
    3) What about switching the 2 ton with the 3 ton, and getting a new 16 SEER 3 ton -- can this work?

Our kwh rates here in Houston are going thru the roof (looks like the average is $.16-18 right now!) -- want to see if we can do anything to fight back.

Please advise.

Post Likes
    Can't really switch the 2 with the 3.

Both the indoor and outdoor unit must be changed.
    You can just change either the upstairs or downstairs, don't have to do both systems at one time.

Get estimates from 2 or 3 contractors. Then come back and ask any questions you have that they may not have answered.

Post Likes
    Also look at having an energy audit done. Get your duct work tested. Blower door test. Upgraded insulation. Solar screens on windows. May save you a lot more than going from 11 to 16 SEER.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    Also look at having an energy audit done. Get your duct work tested. Blower door test. Upgraded insulation. Solar screens on windows. May save you a lot more than going from 11 to 16 SEER.
    Show off, just because you cool 4000 sq ft with 2 tons.

Paul is correct.
    Improvements to the house made first. Save more money in the long run then higher efficiency units only.

Post Likes
    Well I'm on a mission --
    had radiant barrior sprayed in and added more insulation in the attic.
    Also had a solar attic fan installed (not sure if this is not a gimmick, but we have one on the southwest roof now).

And switched providers -- locked in 4 years @ 15.3 cents per kwh.

I would have gagged on 15.3 a year ago, but it looks like we're headed to 20+ cents pretty quick.

My A/C contractor tells me new (better insulated) ductwork would cost me $3000+ so next I'm gonna look at changing one of the units to a higher SEER unit.

Anyone know tonnage by part #s? My 2 units:

Lennox HP19-411-5P
    Lennox HP19-411-4P

Don't know which is up or down. . .

They are 11 SEER if I recall correctly and 16 years old.

recommendations?

Post Likes
    Lennox HP19-411-5P
    Lennox HP19-411-4P
    Both of those are 3 tons as far as I know.

Round down the first two digits after the first dash to the nearest half ton; 41 = 36 000 BTU. (12,000 BTU = 1 ton)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Both of those are 3 tons as far as I know.

Round down the first two digits after the first dash to the nearest half ton; 41 = 36 000 BTU. (12,000 BTU = 1 ton)
    My A/C contractor was over today to check freon etc --
    says they are 3 and 4 ton.

Post Likes
    Lennox product nomenclature: http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/Lennox%20...menclature.pdf

The model numbers you provided indicate 2 x 3-ton units. 4 tons would be "-51."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Lennox product nomenclature: http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/Lennox%20...menclature.pdf

The model numbers you provided indicate 2 x 3-ton units. 4 tons would be "-51."
    Thank you - great info -- can someone explain the difference in size of the 2 outdoor units if they are both 3 tons?

Lennox HP19-411-5P (this is almost 2x the size of the 4P)
    Lennox HP19-411-4P

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in