Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to forum and needing advice

Post Likes

New to forum and needing advice

I hope my request for help doesn't violate the site rules, but I think I need the advice of a professional, and this seems to be the place to find them.

Our five year old A/C unit went out (nothing would come on) this past weekend and to make a long story short, the tech that came out claimed that after he blew the transformer he had just replaced, he realized the problem was actually a bad controller board, a Carrier HK42FZ013. This was this past Sunday. He was to return on Monday after he got a new board and and new transformer.

He arrived late yesterday and proceeded up to our attic. I was already a bit suspicious, but my instincts really started flairing when he was in our attic for almost two hours replacing it. Access to the controller board is fairly easy on our Carrier 58STA070, so I couldn't understand what the problem was. He finally got the unit operational, I paid him and then asked for the old board. He first told me he had already taken it out to his truck, and when I said I'd like to have it, he refused, saying he couldn't let me have it - company policy. We were still inside the house and I could see the box on top of his tool bag despite what he had said and, well, I took it and refused to give it back to him. I figured it was still my board, whether it was a dead one or a live one. Of course my suspicions deepened as he insisted I return it to him or he was going to go up to our attic and remove the "new" one. I was polite, but explained to him that that simply wasn't going to happen and invited him to call his boss or we could call the sheriff, but he wasn't leaving with my control board. I have the board.

My suspicion is that I now have in my possession a perfectly good control board. I even wonder if I am holding the brand new board that, after discovering it wasn't the problem, he continued to trouble shoot. That's the only reason I can figure why he was so adamant about leaving with it (and perhaps cover himself in the process).

Anyway, I am hoping somone here can offer me some guidance on what I can and should do at this point.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottsBeenHad; 07-02-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Post Likes
    you need to remove your prices....

But your situation definately raises a red flag....

I would call the contractor in the morning and speak with the manager. Explain that you are unsatisfied with the service and would like a partial refund. You may not get it all back but you may get some.

And get a new contractor. Personally, I have no problems leaving failed parts with HOs that want them (provided its not a coil or compressor).....but a contactor or board....sure you take it. Less trash in my truck.

The fact that he didn't want to give it to you is a little off. You may in fact be holding a new board.....If you want, you may be able to contact Carrier or the supplier and read them the model off the board. It may lead to some interesting information.

I'm sure others will be along with thier two cents. But thats mine for now. I will probably chime in later with others.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    parts changers change parts....technicians fix problems...you get what you pay for F.Y.I. i always offer customers their defective part

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dezerttech View Post
    parts changers change parts....technicians fix problems...you get what you pay for F.Y.I. i always offer customers their defective part

Post Likes
    scott open that box and tell me if it has a purple spade fuse that you would find in a car... should have a number 3 on it.... purple fuse with number 3

Post Likes

Cool

I cant find the schematic on that unit at the moment, but I'm sure that board has a spade fuse. If you have a short in the low voltage system like a crimped t-stat wire then the spade fuse will blow. Your transformer shouldn't have blown, let alone the board go bad. I made the mistake of putting in a 5 amp fuse into that same board and blew the transformer because there was a direct short in the t-stat wire. Hard to say exactly what the problem really was but for someone to make that big of a stink about a control board. You can also look at all of the spade connections very closely and be able to tell if that board was even installed. One main way to see if you had a problem with the t-stat wire is to look at the wires. He might have changed one of the wires to use another one because there was a short. You said he went in the attic for awhile did you ever notice him changing wires at the T-stat or in the outside unit? Too many scenarios I can think of ... goodluck, hope it helps

Post Likes
    Five years,the board could have been under warranty still.But your tech should have explained that if it was. I have gotten boards that aren't an exact change out that took some time to modify, so two hours isn't too far out of line ,if in fact this was the case.

Post Likes

i can't get my customers to take the old parts that i have replaced, they always say throw it away

but i always offer to give it to them!

the tech. may indeed of needed to return it for warranty

normally you will be told if the part is under warranty ahead of time!

Last edited by Airmechanical; 07-02-2008 at 08:43 AM.

Post Likes
    If teh board is under warranty, then they would need to keep it to return it for warranty.
    If they claim it is not under warranty, then there is no need for them to keep it.
    I would suggest you call that company and talk to the owner, general manager, or service manager, and tell him what you suspect, and why.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by dj3901783 View Post
    scott open that box and tell me if it has a purple spade fuse that you would find in a car... should have a number 3 on it.... purple fuse with number 3
    what if it does?

what if it does not?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    what if it does?

what if it does not?

What if it has an E instead of a 3.

Post Likes
    Yes, dj3901783, there is a 3 amp [ or an E or W or an M to some of you ] car fuse just to the right of the contact screws along what I would call the bottom of the board, if oriented as to read the printed labeling.

That fuse looks to be fine.

As for board itself, It's hard for me to detect any evidence that the spade connectors have seen any use. There is one that has a plastic cover on it that when removed looks exactly like the others.

Is there any easy way to find out who the local Carrier distributor is and do you think they might be able to help? I spoke with Carrier Corp yesterday, and didn't find them very eager to get involved.
    Last edited by ScottsBeenHad; 07-02-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Post Likes
    Unless you can see a manufacture date. You still don't know if thats the new or old board.

Post Likes
    Yes, I agree. That's why I'm seeking out the advice of serious professionals. I studied the board and asked Carrier hoping to find the date of manufacture. My thinking was that would be the easiest way of proving out (or disproving) my concern. I would much rather go that route that placing this board into the unit and seeing what happens. Then, it will likely show evidence of having been installed and my case becomes weaker.

Setting aside that the 3 amp fuse also looks like an E, do you know of a way to determine the date of manufacture? Or in the alternative, some other approach I might can take to allay my concerns?

Post Likes
    Post the boards mod number, and any revision, or serial numbers that are on it.
    Someone may be able to tell from that.

Post Likes
    First of all, thank you and the others for your advice. I suspected the real pros would be willing to help, and that appears to be the one thing I've gotten right this week.

The board and the box show HK42FZ013 for the model number. It also shows CEPL130438-01 which is the number the Tech first wrote down on his first visit.

On the upper right hand corner of the board there is a bar code and above it is a number that I want to say looks like the serial number even though it contains part of the model number. That number is 0249HK42FZ013.

Then, on the upper left side of the board in smaller print is this:
    CEBD430438-04E SS-01J

As you can see, I am a duck out of water with this stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBeenHad View Post
    First of all, thank you and the others for your advice. I suspected the real pros would be willing to help, and that appears to be the one thing I've gotten right this week.

The board and the box show HK42FZ013 for the model number. It also shows CEPL130438-01 which is the number the Tech first wrote down on his first visit.

On the upper right hand corner of the board there is a bar code and above it is a number that I want to say looks like the serial number even though it contains part of the model number. That number is 0249HK42FZ013.

Then, on the upper left side of the board in smaller print is this:
    CEBD430438-04E SS-01J

As you can see, I am a duck out of water with this stuff.
    I might have missed it but,what is the model & serial numbers on the furnace/air handler? That's what the warranty would go by.

Post Likes
    Apology - I misunderstood the question. The model for the Carrier is a 58STA070-12. The parts warranty on that expired on 4/28/08 (installed 4/28/03).

As a side note, I have found the distributor, talked with them and even have the invoice number for the control board. They tell me there is no way to inspect it and determine the date of manufacture.

Post Likes
    BS.
    Carrier can track the board. The serial number tells them when it was made.

You understood teh question right.
    Anothe Carrier contractor from this board, may be able to tell you the manufacture date on that control board.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Have you called the owner/manager of the yet?If not,why not call?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in