Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    you cacn let them try the old board.
    Just let them know that the board is not leaving.
    If it works, then they can take their new board and refund your money you paid for the new board you didn't need.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBeenHad View Post
    Wrangler, I don't think you understand the situation which is probably my fault because I am not very good at articulating things, especially in writing.

It is my suspicion that I paid for a part that (a) may not have been installed and/or (b) didn't need in the first place.

My suspicion arises out of the length of time it took to install the control board and get the a/c running again. This plus the techs attempt at preventing me from keeping the old/bad/broken board.

What am I going to do with the old board if I can determine my suspicions are correct? Ask for a refund.
    Well,all I can say is good luck with this problem. And it's unusual that they want the old board,I've had a new one in the box for a couple of years now.I've replaced Lennox boards that took a considerable amount of time to revamp the mounting and re wiring to work. So don't worry too much about the time it took to get your unit up and going again.

Thumbs up

Hi Scott,

First let me applaud you for not letting him walk off with YOUR board. – DO NOT GIVE IT BACK!

2nd, I don’t know if your were played or not but I will say this.

Unless your leasing the equipment, which obviously isn’t the case, he has no rights to parts pulled off your property, it belongs to you, regardless of what “Their” policy is.
    Unless maybe there was a environmental disposal issue, but even then, it’s still “your” property and you can have it disposed of by someone else or if they have something written that states you agree that any replaced parts become the property of the company, which is not likely because you would have had to sign it.
    Maybe the policy really is “don’t leave any evidence behind”.

There are very honest and reputable people in the service industry, as I’m sure is the case with the vast majority of people posting here. Myself being included with over 20 years of visiting peoples homes, honesty has always proven to be the best policy.

With that being said, I’ve seen a lot of dishonesty both by techs and the policies of companies when it comes to making the almighty dollar.
    It’s sounds like this may be one of them, or maybe the tech thought he had some legal right to the supposed damaged board, but I can see why you are Leery.

If the board was still under warranty, you should have been made aware of that fact, otherwise he is charging you for a new board, then turns around and sends yours in for a replacement under the warranty, and he can then charge the next guy for it. Double Dipping comes to mind.
    Sounds like a pretty good plan if you can operate like that.

What should happen (in my opinion) is if the board is under warranty he should tell you so, he will then swap out your board at no cost (they may charge you a minimal fee for shipping and handling for the replacement) but will charge you for the service call and labor to replace it. He won’t make the money off the sale of a new board but at least he will leave with his reputation intact, which is worth much more in the long run.

Have you spoken with this Techs manager yet? I would speak with the head service manager or better yet the owner of the company (if it’s a mom & pop business) and have them answer your questions. Most of the time if they have any pride in themselves and their work, they will attempt to make it right because a happy customer is a returning customer.
    Be warned however, many of them are not that smart, and there are idiotic business owners out there just as there are customers.

If you want to go through the hassle (and expense), you can have another company check out the board.
    If this company does not resolve the issue, and you can “prove” you were victimized by this company, I would write the owner a heart felt letter, report them to the Better Business Bureau and any other entity that can put the hammer down.

Some prefer to cut their losses and move on, but that choice is yours.

Good luck my friend!

As professionals we should all take a zero tolerance stand when it come to dishonest practices, but that’s just my opinion.

Thank you Straightup and eveyone else who has provided me with advice and support.

Yesterday, the company sent out a different tech, one that I had met and trusted before. He swapped out the boards and flipped the switch to test (well taped it closed to be accurate) in roughly 17 minutes. It almost worked, but quickly puked out. The board was indeed bad. So, all of this headache because the original tech wanted to deny me the part raising all those suspicions. BTW, I had attempted to record part of that original conversation on my cell phone and thought it hadn't saved. Turns out it did save and I found it yesterday and was able to play it for the tech (a 20 year veteran) who was pretty aghast and asked me to play that for their manager. I told him I didn't really want to do that, hoping that rather than getting him in (further) trouble, someone would help him learn from this.

Anyway, we are presently cool every where in the house except near the check book.

So again, thank you all for your help. I am very grateful.

Cheers and Happy 4th of July
    --
    Scott

ps: IraqVet, I'd like to say a special thanks to you for your service to country as well. My nephew is there right now.

You know that recording a call without informing the other party could put you in jail. Don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    You know that recording a call without informing the other party could put you in jail. Don't you?
    I think it as a recording of teh conversation him and the tech had while teh tech was at teh house. Not on the phone.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Actually, where I am (and I think most places) it is only illegal for a third party to record a conversation with others, without their knowledge and consent. It is perfectly legal for a party to a conversation to record it.

But, whether legal or not, the direction the conversaton was going, I would have been willing to take my chances.

Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123