Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 33
  1. #14
    Yes, I agree. That's why I'm seeking out the advice of serious professionals. I studied the board and asked Carrier hoping to find the date of manufacture. My thinking was that would be the easiest way of proving out (or disproving) my concern. I would much rather go that route that placing this board into the unit and seeing what happens. Then, it will likely show evidence of having been installed and my case becomes weaker.

    Setting aside that the 3 amp fuse also looks like an E, do you know of a way to determine the date of manufacture? Or in the alternative, some other approach I might can take to allay my concerns?

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,171
    Post the boards mod number, and any revision, or serial numbers that are on it.
    Someone may be able to tell from that.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  3. #16
    First of all, thank you and the others for your advice. I suspected the real pros would be willing to help, and that appears to be the one thing I've gotten right this week.

    The board and the box show HK42FZ013 for the model number. It also shows CEPL130438-01 which is the number the Tech first wrote down on his first visit.

    On the upper right hand corner of the board there is a bar code and above it is a number that I want to say looks like the serial number even though it contains part of the model number. That number is 0249HK42FZ013.

    Then, on the upper left side of the board in smaller print is this:
    CEBD430438-04E SS-01J

    As you can see, I am a duck out of water with this stuff.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,873
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBeenHad View Post
    First of all, thank you and the others for your advice. I suspected the real pros would be willing to help, and that appears to be the one thing I've gotten right this week.

    The board and the box show HK42FZ013 for the model number. It also shows CEPL130438-01 which is the number the Tech first wrote down on his first visit.

    On the upper right hand corner of the board there is a bar code and above it is a number that I want to say looks like the serial number even though it contains part of the model number. That number is 0249HK42FZ013.

    Then, on the upper left side of the board in smaller print is this:
    CEBD430438-04E SS-01J

    As you can see, I am a duck out of water with this stuff.
    I might have missed it but,what is the model & serial numbers on the furnace/air handler? That's what the warranty would go by.

  5. #18
    Apology - I misunderstood the question. The model for the Carrier is a 58STA070-12. The parts warranty on that expired on 4/28/08 (installed 4/28/03).

    As a side note, I have found the distributor, talked with them and even have the invoice number for the control board. They tell me there is no way to inspect it and determine the date of manufacture.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,171
    BS.
    Carrier can track the board. The serial number tells them when it was made.

    You understood teh question right.
    Anothe Carrier contractor from this board, may be able to tell you the manufacture date on that control board.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Have you called the owner/manager of the yet?If not,why not call?

  8. #21
    I called them about an hour ago. Asked for the manager whose name I had found (this is our local Service Experts affiliate), but was intercepted by the service manager. He was already aware that the tech had refused to give me the part, saying that in North Carolina, where the tech came from, they had strict policies (I think he meant the State) about leaving parts behind.

    Anyway, he has offered to send a different tech out to stick the board back in the unit to see if it works. I don't know why, but my instincts tell me to stall them. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting stalled by Carrier as well.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,873
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBeenHad View Post

    Anyway, he has offered to send a different tech out to stick the board back in the unit to see if it works. I don't know why, but my instincts tell me to stall them. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting stalled by Carrier as well.
    I'm missing something. Why do you want to stall them & how is Carrier stalling you? If you mean Carrier hasn't called you back in an hour or two, that probably won't happen. They're a really big & busy operation. I'd give them until Monday,as this is a holiday weekend.

  10. #23
    Um, no I don't mean Carrier hasn't called back in an hour or two. I did however expect that of the three support people I talked to, one of them might have able to guide me to where the serial number was on the board, assuming it is there. This was a follow up to a conversation I had with them before posting to this board. An email reply to my phone conversation resulted in the answer "that is correct model number control board for your unit", but that wasn't my question. But, my quarrel is not with Carrier, I just had hoped they could lead me to a speedier resolution.

    As for my stalling, it has to do with their attempt to prevent me from keeping the "replaced" control board in the first place. If they didn't want me to have it to begin with, should I feel comfortable handing it back over to them now? If I'm being overly cautious or unreasonable, please feel free to tell me as I've clearly become a bit obssessed in thinking I've been... you know.

    --
    Scott

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,873
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBeenHad View Post
    Um, no I don't mean Carrier hasn't called back in an hour or two. I did however expect that of the three support people I talked to, one of them might have able to guide me to where the serial number was on the board, assuming it is there. This was a follow up to a conversation I had with them before posting to this board. An email reply to my phone conversation resulted in the answer "that is correct model number control board for your unit", but that wasn't my question. But, my quarrel is not with Carrier, I just had hoped they could lead me to a speedier resolution.

    As for my stalling, it has to do with their attempt to prevent me from keeping the "replaced" control board in the first place. If they didn't want me to have it to begin with, should I feel comfortable handing it back over to them now? If I'm being overly cautious or unreasonable, please feel free to tell me as I've clearly become a bit obssessed in thinking I've been... you know.

    --
    Scott
    What are you going to do with this board? It couldn't be returned,as it's an electrical part (used) If you have cooling ,you'd be miles ahead to just use another company in the future. But, that's only my opinion. If it wasn't under warranty , then you should "own" that part.

  12. #25
    Wrangler, I don't think you understand the situation which is probably my fault because I am not very good at articulating things, especially in writing.

    It is my suspicion that I paid for a part that (a) may not have been installed and/or (b) didn't need in the first place.

    My suspicion arises out of the length of time it took to install the controll board and get the a/c running again. This plus the tech's attempt at preventing me from keeping the old/bad/broken board.

    What am I going to do with the old board if I can determine my suspicions are correct? Ask for a refund.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    0249HK42FZ013

    Your number above,02 it the year and 49 is the 49th week of the year,assuming it follows the same "code' as equipment serial numbers.

    So it would appear to be the old board.You could check the number on the other board as well.

    Not allowing you to keep the part is unusual.
    Last edited by dash; 07-02-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event