Thread: HP in heat mode

HP in heat mode

I was looking to get a Bryant #286 2 stage HP when the salesman called and gave me his quote for the product. He told us when he bought his, that he didn't think the 2 stage had enough money return when in heat mode for the cost difference when compared with the #265 single stage. The difference is about 500.00. I like the idea of better humidity control in the summer with the 2 stage, but the salesman said the #265 single stage can control the humidity just as well. Now my other half is concerned about the #286 starting out in low in colder weather and not being as efficient. Any thought?

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
    I was looking to get a Bryant #286 2 stage HP when the salesman called and gave me his quote for the product. He told us when he bought his, that he didn't think the 2 stage had enough money return when in heat mode for the cost difference when compared with the #265 single stage. The difference is about 500.00. I like the idea of better humidity control in the summer with the 2 stage, but the salesman said the #265 single stage can control the humidity just as well. Now my other half is concerned about the #286 starting out in low in colder weather and not being as efficient. Any thought?
    Why would every manufacturer offer an expensive upgrade that had poorer performance?

-HF

I know that logic says your right, I don't understand why he says that when he would probably get more commission $ from an ungraded system. He just thought the 265 was a better buy-(I know it's less money)and that it can do just as good of a job as the 286 by using the Evolution control.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I really need to make a decision on the unit and last night was so HOT that nobody slept very well. Please help. Denise

He could be correct.

If you have the model numbers of both the complete 2 stage system, and the single stage system, you can look up their rated heating performances at ARI.

Carrier 2 stage units usually have a good heat rating.
    If the Infinity control senses its losing temp, it will bring on the second stage right fairly quick.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What is ARI? Sorry I don't have a clue. Denise

Its actually AHRI now.
    Air Conditioning Heating and Refrigeration Institute.
    Its a third party rating organization.

http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridir...ctoryMain.aspx
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?