My first Spiral job

OK this was my first spiral job. The square things are 1400 CFM variable speed booster fans. this was kind of a weird deal. They are using the supply from a RTU 160 feet away as a MAU for two small rooms that have a large dust collector exhaust system. The return for the RTU that these come from is in the main plant. They have back draft dampers where they go through the wall, the a big round diffuser. Any way I don't think I posted these yet.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Looks pretty cool. Nice job overall, but there are a few things I would have done differently if able to (I can't see through walls)

put some "goof rings" around the wall penetrations.

and bring that pipe through the wall just a couple inches higher to keep it away from the sheetrock and door frame.

By the way, please tell me there is something other than the pipe itself supporting those fans...

Nice job.
    Is that a t-stat behind the door?
    How tall are those guys??
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Yea the rings would have been nice.
    The fans are anchored to the rail that is anchored in the span crete. The spiral is suspended about 25 feet up on the span crete ceiling.

The Honeywell 8000 is wired with tow remote sensors, one in each of the tow rooms. Average temp brings on heat or cool from RTU. Fan is on in occupied and can also be brought on with exhaust blower activation. Booster fans come on when the RTU blower is energized. The boosters are VS and the dial controls are to adjust the speed.

Here is a wiring diagram I made up. The one relay labeled NO is normally open even though the symbol is for a NC.

http://www.grafrefrigeration.com/wiring.png
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Those fans should really be hung on all four corners with spring isolators and canvas duct connectors (for vibration).

Otherwise it looks really good.
    If you use elbows with gasket (like lindab) you don't have to caulk them and it makes for a cleaner exposed install.

Also....take the stickers off the square to rounds

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

I was surprised at how smooth these run, no vibration to speak of. I thought that I would need to anchor posts to the floor and weld some cross members on to hold them, but the foreman at the plant dose not want to loose the floor space.

I did use the gored elbows for the rest of the job, but they just would not work right there.

Yea I wish I had had a bottle of googone to take off the stickers

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    Yea I wish I had had a bottle of googone to take off the stickers
    Warm them up with a little propane torch and they come right off....glue and everything.

-supertek65

I was surprised at how smooth these run, no vibration to speak of.

It should still have isolators and canvass connectors. Over time they tend to vibrate a little. It probably seems smooth because its anchored to the railing....but that vibration can still be passed through the duct.

-supertek65

Thanks, I will keep it in mind if I get to do another like this in the future.

Thanks, I will keep it in mind if I get to do another like this in the future.

No problem. Where do you work in WI?

-supertek65

Mad Town area

As it says in most spec books under the air distribution section, "...shall be installed straight and true and in a workman like manner." Good job! What is that, about 10" dia.?

14 inch