Thread: Dual Fuel balance point, economic vs. comfort

Post Likes

Dual Fuel balance point, economic vs. comfort

Just had installed 3.5 T, American Standard Heritage 13 ...have propane auxilliary...installer set balance point on stat at 40 degrees F which I questioned ....my electric cost is about .07 kwh ...propane cost is golden...I have propane fireplace if I need instant heat ..shouldn't balance point for economic considerations be 25 or 30?

I think when cold weather arrives I'm going to miss my old set up where I could raise the stat by 2 degrees and call for the propane or when the heat pump couldn't capture enough warm air, in kicked the propane ....what have I gotten myself into with the set balance point and the outside temperature sensor???? Will I be applying for a loan to pay my propane bill with balance point set at 40????

Post Likes
    If you have the 802, or 803, it can be set up to bring on the LP if you raise the set point temp.

Post Likes
    been there,

Thanks, I believe I have the 802 and the installer may have set it up as such...but back to my primary question ...shouldn't the balance point temp be set around 30 instead of 40?

Thanks ....

Post Likes
    It should be set to your homes heat loss.
    With out a load calc. You can guess at what temp, and if its too high or low, readjust it when it doesn't maintain temp, or or seems to be handling the load without a problem.
    Many can be set to 30, some to 25 or lower.

Post Likes
    beenthere,

Thanks again....

Post Likes
    Around here, we can sometimes get by with 30 but I don't set American Standard heat pumps that low. Their heating output is less than the rest of the industry meaning the changeover point needs to be higher. I would try 35 first to make sure it can handle that.

Been & I disagree on the operation of the 802/803 stats. I've never gotten one to call for backup. I say only the IAQ will do that if the temp drops 2°

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Around here, we can sometimes get by with 30 but I don't set American Standard heat pumps that low. Their heating output is less than the rest of the industry meaning the changeover point needs to be higher. I would try 35 first to make sure it can handle that.

Been & I disagree on the operation of the 802/803 stats. I've never gotten one to call for backup. I say only the IAQ will do that if the temp drops 2°
    And neither of us has gotten around to going and testing one at our houses either.
    But as far as I know, I got some working that way.

Post Likes
    According to Scott at Honeywell tech support this afternoon, only way to get gas on with 8320 if the outdoor temp is above the balance point is with emergency heat. Need the IAQ to have gas as backup.

Post Likes
    Soon, I'm going have to go buy one just to double check.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you have the 802, or 803, it can be set up to bring on the LP if you raise the set point temp.
    With the 802/803 a "manual" increase of 5 degrees will bring on the fossil fuel
    or comming out of "set back" if the control sees to parameters 8 degrees from set point and one hour away from set point it will bring on the furnace.

Post Likes
    Where does it say that in the manual? Pretty clear with the IAQ, it's one of the options you set. And if that feature does exist, somebody better tell Scott!

Post Likes
    Where does it say that in the manual? Pretty clear with the IAQ, it's one of the options you set. And if that feature does exist, somebody better tell Scott!
    It does not say it in the manual, along with other information such as how the dehumidification process takes place but I would be happy to fax it to you in the A.M.

Post Likes
    I always trust the factory tech support.
    But even they are not always correct.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    With the 802/803 a "manual" increase of 5 degrees will bring on the fossil fuel
    or comming out of "set back" if the control sees to parameters 8 degrees from set point and one hour away from set point it will bring on the furnace.

2nd opinion,

Thanks ...that is the stat I have (802) ...I won't be turning on the heat quite yet here in Richmond, but it is good to know that I have that "manual" option..having said that, I still want to minimize the propane use and utilize the heat pump as even with the 18% increase coming at us with Dominion Power, it'll still be more economical to use the HP than LP...that is why I think the install balance point temperature set at 40 is too high ..but as beenthere suggested, I'll try 35 and then 30. Doesn't that make sense?..thanks again for your response

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by VA GENT View Post
    I'll try 35 and then 30. Doesn't that make sense?
    yes, it makes sense, my aux heat doesn't call until temp gets below 15 degrees

this is due to the way i operate my system as well as the parameters set on my 8000 t-stat

coupled with the fact that i have a (purposly) oversized 2 speed system!

it gets complicated, but not setting back the stat too far, and not trying to recover to quick are key issues!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in