Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dual Fuel balance point, economic vs. comfort

Just had installed 3.5 T, American Standard Heritage 13 ...have propane auxilliary...installer set balance point on stat at 40 degrees F which I questioned ....my electric cost is about .07 kwh ...propane cost is golden...I have propane fireplace if I need instant heat ..shouldn't balance point for economic considerations be 25 or 30?

I think when cold weather arrives I'm going to miss my old set up where I could raise the stat by 2 degrees and call for the propane or when the heat pump couldn't capture enough warm air, in kicked the propane ....what have I gotten myself into with the set balance point and the outside temperature sensor???? Will I be applying for a loan to pay my propane bill with balance point set at 40????

If you have the 802, or 803, it can be set up to bring on the LP if you raise the set point temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

been there,

Thanks, I believe I have the 802 and the installer may have set it up as such...but back to my primary question ...shouldn't the balance point temp be set around 30 instead of 40?

Thanks ....

It should be set to your homes heat loss.
    With out a load calc. You can guess at what temp, and if its too high or low, readjust it when it doesn't maintain temp, or or seems to be handling the load without a problem.
    Many can be set to 30, some to 25 or lower.
    Contractor locator map

beenthere,

Thanks again....

Around here, we can sometimes get by with 30 but I don't set American Standard heat pumps that low. Their heating output is less than the rest of the industry meaning the changeover point needs to be higher. I would try 35 first to make sure it can handle that.

Been & I disagree on the operation of the 802/803 stats. I've never gotten one to call for backup. I say only the IAQ will do that if the temp drops 2

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Around here, we can sometimes get by with 30 but I don't set American Standard heat pumps that low. Their heating output is less than the rest of the industry meaning the changeover point needs to be higher. I would try 35 first to make sure it can handle that.

Been & I disagree on the operation of the 802/803 stats. I've never gotten one to call for backup. I say only the IAQ will do that if the temp drops 2°
    And neither of us has gotten around to going and testing one at our houses either.
    But as far as I know, I got some working that way.
    Contractor locator map

According to Scott at Honeywell tech support this afternoon, only way to get gas on with 8320 if the outdoor temp is above the balance point is with emergency heat. Need the IAQ to have gas as backup.

Soon, I'm going have to go buy one just to double check.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you have the 802, or 803, it can be set up to bring on the LP if you raise the set point temp.
    With the 802/803 a "manual" increase of 5 degrees will bring on the fossil fuel
    or comming out of "set back" if the control sees to parameters 8 degrees from set point and one hour away from set point it will bring on the furnace.

Where does it say that in the manual? Pretty clear with the IAQ, it's one of the options you set. And if that feature does exist, somebody better tell Scott!

Where does it say that in the manual? Pretty clear with the IAQ, it's one of the options you set. And if that feature does exist, somebody better tell Scott!
    It does not say it in the manual, along with other information such as how the dehumidification process takes place but I would be happy to fax it to you in the A.M.

I always trust the factory tech support.
    But even they are not always correct.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast