Thread: Rheem/Ruud vs Trane/American Std. need advice fast please

Post Likes

Confused Rheem/Ruud vs Trane/American Std. need advice fast please

I am sure this has been asked before and I have been reading all the posts for about two weeks to learn about the AC lingo. We live in Houston and yes it is freaking hot without an AC but have done so for about three weeks because I can't seem to make up my mind as to what to do.

Most of the bids that I have received are for Trane xl16i and AS version of that. What I am finding out is that it is an unloading scroll and doesn't control humidity that well, correct? So I have decided that I would wait until the Trane xl19i (R410) and AS (they don't know what they will call it say an alligence 20 for now) which was slated to be released in the fall! So I would just fix the blower motor and capacitor until then right. But Friday I find out from one contractor that Trane rep said they are now pushing that fall release back 3-4 months which is now next April or so. IS THIS TRUE?

So being in Houston, I don't know how long my system will last on just fixing the blower motor etc. I don't want to spend alot on a 15 year old Trane to begin with.

So what do I do? I am back to the drawing board. I can't afford Carrier and not sure I want to! Do I go with a Rheem/Ruud product now and if so which one? I also want a air cleaner Ie. accuclean etc and an uv light.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have for me becuase I am so confused now!

Post Likes

I'd pull the trigger on the Rheem in a NY minute

From all I've read on here and other places its bulletproof (correct install, of course).

I would not be anywhere south of mason dixon in July/August/Sept w/out air.

Have you also considered Houston's own Amana/Goodman brand?

At the first sign of problems w/MY 15 y/o A/C-she's coming quick.

Piece of advice, handed down from BeenThere-look at the Trane xl15, too

Post Likes
    Nothing wrong with Rheem/Ruud.
    You could also get a estimate on a York Affinity. It also uses the 2 stage unloading scroll compressor.
    But it can use a Honeywell IAQ thermostat to increase its humidity control.

Post Likes
    Mr. Spy so you are saying to go with a Rheem? If so which one?

Post Likes
    Go with the Rheem mod. Nice piece. And I think Rheem is offering a sweet rebate on the mod now.

Post Likes

This one

Quote Originally Posted by dsgracey View Post
    Mr. Spy so you are saying to go with a Rheem? If so which one?
    http://www.rheemac.com/products/Prod...Model=RASL-JEZ

Sidebar: my wife's grandparents have this particular unit in their house. Its really kicking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Go with the Rheem mod. Nice piece. And I think Rheem is offering a sweet rebate on the mod now.
    Which model 16 or 18?

Post Likes
    My bad, I got threads crossed. I thought you were replacing your furnace. Rheem makes good A/C units as well though. As for 16 or 18 seer, depends on where you live. Payback is a long time with an 18 seer in most places, and you'll never close to that without proper matching equipment across the board.

Post Likes
    MrBill will be very happy to do a nice job installing a Rheem system in your house!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    MrBill will be very happy to do a nice job installing a Rheem system in your house!
    I think it would be a RUUD. LOL

Post Likes
    can't go wrong with either of those. Rheem SHOULD be cheaper. get a hold of Mr.Bill on here.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    can't go wrong with either of those. Rheem SHOULD be cheaper. get a hold of Mr.Bill on here.
    i'm not Mr. Bill but I can tell you this ,410 Reem Rudd condensers are drying up fast in the Houston area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in