Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protocol

Protocol

workin a med temp protocol (3 comp) and noticed a big orange time delay i believe it was mounted right next to the motor saver. this is at a costco, ive always seen the motor saver on these units but havent seen them with the time delay (unless its located somewere else on other units and i never noticed). im pretty sure it was a time delay, tried to read the schematic but got confused, just wondering if anyone knows what im talkin bout and what its purpose is on the protocols.

Any chance it's a voltage / phase monitor ?

PHM
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    PHM
    Sure sound's like one to me.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

orange
    Betcha it's a Diversified Electronics phase loss monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by sfjim View Post
    workin a med temp protocol (3 comp) and noticed a big orange time delay i believe it was mounted right next to the motor saver. this is at a costco, ive always seen the motor saver on these units but havent seen them with the time delay (unless its located somewere else on other units and i never noticed). im pretty sure it was a time delay, tried to read the schematic but got confused, just wondering if anyone knows what im talkin bout and what its purpose is on the protocols.
    I looked at 6 Protocols today and only saw the MotorSaver voltage monitor, and all the associated controller accessories and electrical stuff.

It is a time delay for the alarm dry contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by mspanky View Post
    It is a time delay for the alarm dry contacts.
    i know i work on them alot...im an apprentice but ive only seen the motor saver...from what i could make out from the diagram it looked like it was in series with the alarm contacts..can you explain its purpose or sequence of events as far why its on this one and not others or if theres and advantages or special reason for using the time delay...sorry but if you explain how or why its used it would help me understand the wiring diagram which im really bad at reading..again still learning so sorry if im beatin this one to death. just curious

The one's I've seen had a Hussmann PCS controller inside the Protocol. (older Canadian Walmarts) The alarm capabilities were very limited and used a mechanical delay to prevent nuisance store alarms. Any other protocol that is run with a CPC or Comtrol controller does not have the time delay. I am schooled in electronics and still scratched my head at Hussmanns diagram. Don't feel bad.

not to hijack,
    i have a used wally mart protocol with a pcs controller running now, last week had 15 doors at 120 F, drove 2 hrs found PCS locked up ( like windoze) all systems stayed in state they were at time of lockup, doors never terminated, other systems never defrosted, verified this with microthem monitoring that is installed. powered it down, rebooted all good since. any one ever see this before

told store cooked frozen pizza were value added, mark em up and sell - they werent impressed hahahah

Yes, and it happened again. We changed the controller. Those things cost nearly as much as a RMCC use to. Not sure if CPC could provide it instead of Hussmann since they build them.

Quote Originally Posted by smilies View Post
    I looked at 6 Protocols today and only saw the MotorSaver voltage monitor, and all the associated controller accessories and electrical stuff.
    Yeah...protocalls suck.....

Smiles that wrasslin sig is the best...

yea your right the mechanical delay was on a unit with the hussman controller... i usually work on units with cpc or comtrol. that makes sense why i never see the delay on those units.

Protocols

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I've been working on protocols for several years, I love them, would much rather work on them than a dirty greasy old rack. My PCS controllers were replaced with Einstein IIs a few years ago, but I had several lock ups when I first took over the stores. Most were cured by the following:
    1. PCS units with out expansion boards don't lock up.
    2. Make sure only one end of the comm wire shield is grounded.(comm wires to and between expansion boards)
    3. Make sure to rout the comm wires as far from AC voltage carrying wires as possible.
    4. Keep comm wires as short as possible.
    5. I never replaced a PCS as the above cured 99% of my lock up problems.
    I work for a grocery store chain, have responsibility for 5 stores, 3 are protocol stores and 1 is a dirty greasy old two tier rack & 1 is a conventional store. One of my stores in Manhattan Ks has 12 protocols, serial numbers 1,2,3 etc. some have original scrolls, they were installed in 93.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast