+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get an 18 year old interested in HVAC?

Post Likes

How to get an 18 year old interested in HVAC?

I have a friend who's boy just graduated from high school. He is just like a million other grads, no training in the real world. I'm sure video game are more fun then working.

He wants to come do some work for me, so I'm just trying to figure out how to make it fun too. I got books, but I think he needs hands on stuff first.

I figured go over some basic electricity, how to use a meter for capacitors, resistance, voltage.

I could explain wire sizes and maybe show him how to silver solder copper connections. I could burn a day around the shop and see where it goes.

But what do 18 year old kids want to learn? He says he wants to learn a trade, but I know the school system has not prepared him to work.
    For me back then would have been how to make some money. I've run across some kids that have drive and work hard but those would be the exception. This is your typical teenager who the school system just popped out, without a clue on what to do next if collage is not in the cards.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I would just take him to work and say zero ,nothing, just get me this, carry that, use him as a helper, if he see what you are doing and it catches his interest then HE will be asking you for info. Don't explain anything except during a break or lunch. Then give a brief explanation, then IF he asks for more, then you got him. Give him a pad and pen to write down his Q's during work,( so I don't have to stop working to answer his Q) . I think

3. Likes HVAC Teacher liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Give me someone who is interested and curious and I can teach them anything.

Start by warning him. Kid, this is WORK, not Call of Duty. You're going to get dirty, you're going to sweat and bleed to earn this job. Don't sugar coat it.

Then, take him on the job. Teach him. Explain things to him. Establish a good connection so that he is comfortable asking you questions, then answer those questions as well as you can. Point out resources like this site to him. Give him textbooks and maybe even a student membership to RSES.

Save parts for him to tear apart and learn from. If you've got a scrap heap, turn him loose on that on a Saturday and see what he can find to take apart.

5. Likes HVAC Teacher liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've been hammering this into my kids for a couple of years now. I want them to learn a trade for their own good. My father pushed me into trade school, and I'm glad he did. I explained to them that it was important to learn a trade so that no matter what you want to do with yourself, you'll have a skill to earn money with if everything goes south.

I would just take him along and be honest with him. Let him know it's tough work, but that if you're honest and fair you'll always be able to put food on the table and have a roof over your head. Plus, it's a trade he can go anywhere in the world and do.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Post Likes
    Let him see an repair invoice and cost of material used on job.

The money made by a non-college educated technician/licensee should convince him. But you can't teach drive....some people just don't want to put any effort and rather depend on entitlement.

One must invest in their future; either with extra education or banked money. Gotta have drive.

Post Likes
    Tell him they can't export his hvac job to China. Also, a lot of community colleges have a very good training program to learn the basics of hvacr work that he can attend part time. Maybe you could offer some type of tuition assistance if he passes his courses to motivate him.

Post Likes
    Tell him how modern refrigeration and heating has shaped the world and how crucial it is to human civilization.

Post Likes
    Tell him he'll have to beat the women off with a stick.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Give me someone who is interested and curious and I can teach them anything.

Start by warning him. Kid, this is WORK, not Call of Duty. You're going to get dirty, you're going to sweat and bleed to earn this job. Don't sugar coat it.

Then, take him on the job. Teach him. Explain things to him. Establish a good connection so that he is comfortable asking you questions, then answer those questions as well as you can. Point out resources like this site to him. Give him textbooks and maybe even a student membership to RSES.

Save parts for him to tear apart and learn from. If you've got a scrap heap, turn him loose on that on a Saturday and see what he can find to take apart.
    +1 if he is interested in science this field is for him.

Post Likes
    Don't be negative towards him right out the gate. Soon as you say this is "work" not a video game, he'll already be looking at his watch for closing time. Not all the "kids" in my generation are lazy, the ones who are not, get annoyed at being stereotyped. Just my .02

13. Likes supers_5 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    bahaaaaaaaa....i do but its because they want the money not my looks lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NortheastTech View Post
    Don't be negative towards him right out the gate. Soon as you say this is "work" not a video game, he'll already be looking at his watch for closing time. Not all the "kids" in my generation are lazy, the ones who are not, get annoyed at being stereotyped. Just my .02
    +1 and customers dont like tatoos. dont get any that you cant cover up. keep it professional.

Post Likes
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

17. Likes perfectionist liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    +1 and customers dont like tatoos. dont get any that you cant cover up. keep it professional.
    Not just tatoos. The whole appearance. Remind him that unfortunately, people are too often very shallow and judge you on the first appearance.

For the video game comment, add "this isn't a video game, you only get one life. Be careful, listen, think and use ppe before acting"

Post Likes
    everybody knows hvac techs make the panties drop. hvac isnt for everybody there are days i wish i was that guy pumpin the sheeter. we also have the highest divorce rate of all the trades. that being said i do enjoy it. on the move, something different never run out of things to learn, and u need to use your head so the days go by fast. except the ones where u work through the night and most of the next day. it has treated me great u can always get a job and are able to move where u want and find a job in short order. he just needs to know to treat his employers right make sure he leaves on good terms. its huge when u can tell them to call former employers when negotiating pay or trying to get your foot in the door.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Smile a lot and make him feel comfortable talking to you. Never make him feel that you are judgmental. Treat him as you would want to be treated if you were in his place - and were 18 years old.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by r-290 View Post
    I have a friend who's boy just graduated from high school. He is just like a million other grads, no training in the real world. I'm sure video game are more fun then working.

He wants to come do some work for me, so I'm just trying to figure out how to make it fun too. I got books, but I think he needs hands on stuff first.

I figured go over some basic electricity, how to use a meter for capacitors, resistance, voltage.

I could explain wire sizes and maybe show him how to silver solder copper connections. I could burn a day around the shop and see where it goes.

But what do 18 year old kids want to learn? He says he wants to learn a trade, but I know the school system has not prepared him to work.
    For me back then would have been how to make some money. I've run across some kids that have drive and work hard but those would be the exception. This is your typical teenager who the school system just popped out, without a clue on what to do next if collage is not in the cards.

Thanks
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

21. Likes Apprenticanic liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    When beating women off - my best advice is to never use a stick.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

23. Likes shellkamp, Fred Meebley, BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r-290 View Post

Thanks
    Turn the one in the house OFF- He will get interested real quick

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    Yes! Very true!
    For some reason neck and face tattoos are the new fad

Post Likes
    It's a self-serving scam. Tattoo Artists want the free advertising from their customer's walking billboards - which they do not get if you get a tattoo on your ass.

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by NortheastTech View Post
    Yes! Very true!
    For some reason neck and face tattoos are the new fad
    PHM
    --------

27. Likes lkapigian liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in