Recycled/evacuated refrigerant - where does it end up?

This should be an easy one (so sayeth the fool)

Scanning EPA 608 - I see the requirement to capture used refrigerant, and it looks like it then is to go to a "reclaimer" who is to return it to its original spec as to purity, et. al.
    Q's:
    are there really such reclaimers in adequte numbers/capacity to handle the volume generated?
    Is reclaiming economically viable?
    What do the reclaimers do with something like R-22, which, I take it, is being phased out - if all is recovered and no new use is found for it, where does it go? China? (don't laugh - that is where old computer parts go - peasants melt down CPUs and memory for the gold - and breath the lovely resultant fumes).
    Thanks again!

This is already a big business. There is no such thing as recycled refrigerant being sold as all recycled refrigerant is reconditioned back to virgin status and is being resold as new refrigerant.

Reclaimed refrigerant that is too contaminated to get back to virgin status is being burned off using methods that are not polluting to our atmosphere.

Many distributors nationwide have reclaiming programs and are dealing with tons of refrigerant daily.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Hudson Tech

"Many distributors nationwide have reclaiming programs and are dealing with tons of refrigerant daily."

From my understanding Hudson Tech is the largest refrigerant reclaimer in the U.S. Big business indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    There is no such thing as recycled refrigerant being sold as all recycled refrigerant is reconditioned back to virgin status and is being resold as new refrigerant.
    Are you sure about that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Any idea on what it costs to purify old refrigerant to be reused ?

Seamaster

when you buy referigerant are you getting reclaimed or new stuff
    Last edited by 2seamaster; 07-01-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2seamaster View Post
    when you buy referigant are you getting reclaimed or new stuff
    Does it matter? "Reclaimed" refrigerant has to be reprocessed in such a way that it meets "new product specifications", and goes through a chemical analysis to make sure it does. Good as new!

Seamaster

I just had to buy a container of R22 and It cost twice as much as the last purchase, about 6-months ago. I was wondering if it cost the some to make new or clean up old.

"I just had to buy a container of R22 and It cost twice as much as the last purchase, about 6-months ago. I was wondering if it cost the some to make new or clean up old."

According to Hudson Tech, it's way cheaper to reclaim and purify R-22 than it is to buy virgin R-22 and resell it. Supposedly, they may 3 bucks for every 1 buck they spend reclaiming and purifying it.

It's a cash cow for them, so I'm sure you'll see more and more R-22 reclamation going on during the phaseout.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Are you sure about that.
    Sure? Yes. Positive? No

This is just what we are being told by the recycling company that the company I work for is using for our recycling program. Large companies that want to "bank" refrigerant can do so and buy back the recycled refrigerant at a lower cost to within the amount they recycled. This recycled refrigerant is supposedly considered the same as new because it is recycled to the same purity.

I have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of different terminology used with the recycling programs.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Sure? Yes. Positive? No

This is just what we are being told by the recycling company that the company I work for is using for our recycling program. Large companies that want to "bank" refrigerant can do so and buy back the recycled refrigerant at a lower cost to within the amount they recycled. This recycled refrigerant is supposedly considered the same as new because it is recycled to the same purity.

I have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of different terminology used with the recycling programs.
    Keep in mind. that manufacturers, have the option to buy recycled R22 and use it to make new R22 A/Cs in and after 2010.

Some years ago, I did see bottles labeled refreon, and regenetro. Supposedly it was recycled.
    But it wasn't that much cheaper. Haven't taken notice if its back now or not.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?