Fan or Compressor?

k
    Last edited by JESIL; 06-30-2008 at 10:19 PM.

If you are not an HVAC professional, we cannot guide you in anything other then telling you it is in your best interest to call an HVAC technician. Most parts that fail, do so because something else is wrong.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by JESIL View Post
    OK, so my AC decided to stop working yesterday. Air comes out of the vents, but it's not cooling down. I just realized the fan in the outside unit (which is on the ground) is not working, but I'm not sure if it's the fan motor (which I guess I could just buy and replace), or the compressor. I suppose it could also be some wiring. The compressor should still "buzz" even if the fan is off right? It isn't, total silence other than the furnace in the closet.

Anyway, when I get some daylight tomorrow I plan to open it up and check it out. Any suggestions on what to look for? I'm completely new to this, and could definitely use the help. Thanks.

Jesil

As much as people would like to think this stuff is easy....IT'S NOT.

Keep your hands out of it and call a professional.

There are things in that unit that can hurt you. BAD.

Take our word for it and call someone out to take a look at it....could be something simple.

This is not a DIY site
    I need a new signature.....

My bad, did think it was a DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    As much as people would like to think this stuff is easy....IT'S NOT.

Keep your hands out of it and call a professional.

There are things in that unit that can hurt you. BAD.

Take our word for it and call someone out to take a look at it....could be something simple.

This is not a DIY site
    Yeah you don't want to get zapped with 208/230 that will set you back a bit. Do yourself a favor and call a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark207 View Post
    Yeah you don't want to get zapped with 208/230 that will set you back a bit. Do yourself a favor and call a pro!
    There's actually a lot more that can do harm to a person then the voltage, but you are correct that the voltage can be a real issue. Even with the electric circuit turned off or otherwise disconnected, there are components in an HVAC unit that hold a hefty charge.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    There's actually a lot more that can do harm to a person then the voltage, but you are correct that the voltage can be a real issue. Even with the electric circuit turned off or otherwise disconnected, there are components in an HVAC unit that hold a hefty charge.
    Your not talking about that 10 ton super boost that the last tech left just hanging there because there was no room in the cabinet to mount it properly.

Your not talking about that 10 ton super boost that the last tech left just hanging there because there was no room in the cabinet to mount it properly.
    Talk about it? Hell, I've been nailed by it!

If you find were someone installed a super boast on a 10 ton you have more issues that getting shocked,
    what did they plug it into directly into the compressor?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

k
    Last edited by JESIL; 07-01-2008 at 03:48 PM.