The hot summer has come and as of today my central air conditioner no longer cools my house.

There is a small amount (very small, weak) of air that comes out of the vents around the house. It isn't cool air, it is room temperature air.

One of the two pipes which lead from my furnace to the outside air conditioner has condensation forming on the insulation. The non insulated, thinner, pipe is cold. The insulated pipe has the condensation forming outside the insulation. I haven't peeled the insulation away, but I assume the insulated pipe is supposed to contain the hot water that the air conditioner removes from the house.

At the base of the insulated pipe (as it inserts into the furnace) there is a clump if ice about the size of a golfball.

The outside air conditioning unit spins normally. There is no debris around the outside unit and the fins on the outside unit are clean.

The furnace is a Lennox and both the CAC and furnace are 4-5 years old.

I just removed the cover to expose the A coil

sure enough the entire A coil is frozen over.

I am going to let it defrost over night and then inspect if further.

Possibilities are:
1) lack of refridgerant
2) dirty A coil

anything else?

also, should I disconnect the two pipes (hot and cold) that connect to my A coil and then remove my A coil from the furnace housing in order to clean it?
Edit/Delete Message