trane unit freezing up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    58

    trane unit freezing up?

    We installed a new A coil two months ago, and today we were called back. WE when got there the indoor coil was frozen, so after thawing the coil out we checked the freon pressure 240psig and 88*f 70psig and 68*f. These reading do not add up at all. one is saying the unit is way overcharged and the other is pointing towards under charge. The coil is a new trane coil with TXV. The upper section of the coil was for some reason not cold. Any ideas would help, since i'm going back tomorrow. I think the TXV is not working properly.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by david24 View Post
    We installed a new A coil two months ago, and today we were called back. WE when got there the indoor coil was frozen, so after thawing the coil out we checked the freon pressure 240psig and 88*f 70psig and 68*f. These reading do not add up at all. one is saying the unit is way overcharged and the other is pointing towards under charge. The coil is a new trane coil with TXV. The upper section of the coil was for some reason not cold. Any ideas would help, since i'm going back tomorrow. I think the TXV is not working properly.
    Neither of them pressures suggest you are overcharged. neither of them suggest you are undercharged. call a pro.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    Neither of them pressures suggest you are overcharged. neither of them suggest you are undercharged. call a pro.
    we had a 20* sub cool and a 30* superheat on a txv system... with a head pressure of 240... That's not a indication of overcharge..hahaha you are certainly not a pro.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    We do not care to discuss this sort of issue in an open forum. Please apply for professional membership so this can be discussed in one of the closed, professional technical forums; http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=116113
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6
    might be a restriction on the liquid line dryer

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    petaluma,ca
    Posts
    48
    could be a bad txv or maybe the wrong txv for the r-type, if you end up replacing the txv replace the filter\dryer while you have it pumped down just in case, dryers are cheap.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by david24 View Post
    we had a 20* sub cool and a 30* superheat on a txv system... with a head pressure of 240... That's not a indication of overcharge..hahaha you are certainly not a pro.
    Sorry, I cant believe i have been showing up for work everyday for a decade fixing these things. thank you for letting me know.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,631
    Dang. I wouldn't take those readings as an over or under charge either.
    Guess its back to school for me.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Dang. I wouldn't take those readings as an over or under charge either.
    Guess its back to school for me.
    Im not going to work tomorrow
    Im going to computer school maybe.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,631
    Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    Im not going to work tomorrow
    Im going to computer school maybe.
    I think I'll go to school to become a brain surgen.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I think I'll go to school to become a brain surgen.
    Brain Surgeon??? I dont know man, If we couldnt get this A/C stuff down maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves with these jobs...
    Maybe i will go for stockboy at the local hardware giant.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,631
    But if I become a brain surgen, and screw up, the way I figure it, the patient ain't gonna be able to complain.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    But if I become a brain surgen, and screw up, the way I figure it, the patient ain't gonna be able to complain.
    good thought..
    In that case I'm going to become the first drunk brain surgeon .....
    ... Now if i only knew a refrigeration mechanic to keep my beer cold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event