Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    weber is right, i would never keep anyining in my guages. i have been told in a coarse that you can uncallibrate guages by keeping a longterm charge in them. cross contamination is also an issue as well, if you keep a compressor (air) in you r truck you allways drain it down due to moisture and longevity of the machine . i think gauges are the same. what is the rational for keeping a charge in them anyway?

To keep air that holds moisture out of the hoses. Only slightly above atmosphere is not going to uncalibrated them and it will keep air from entering them if they aren't secure to the manifold. Not sure what 200 psi does if held for long periods of time I see no need for that so I haven't done it.

Air compressors compress air which contains moisture in it. The interior will rust away if pressure is left in compromising the tank. A little different scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    To keep air that holds moisture out of the hoses. Only slightly above atmosphere is not going to uncalibrated them and it will keep air from entering them if they aren't secure to the manifold. Not sure what 200 psi does if held for long periods of time I see no need for that so I haven't done it.

Air compressors compress air which contains moisture in it. The interior will rust away if pressure is left in compromising the tank. A little different scenario.
    every teck i have ever meet who keeps their guages under pressure keeps what ever pressuer in their hoses was left from the last job and purges them connected to the next machine ie opening up all the valve on their manifolds andletting the new refridge. pusr out the old. this is very common for those who keep pressuer and allot will denie it im sure but when i first started i witnessed and heard about this allot. i agree with the air comp. being different due to rust but i was leaning towards what it will also do to a gauge they stay at a high pressuer even when empty, i know these are way cheaper than a manifold but im sure it would have the same effect over time just not severe enoough to be obviouse. think if your gauges are even out 10 psi what your systems might be out by

410/22 manifolds suck the temperatures are way to close for use on 22 for my eyes!

i use 3 sets of 22/134/404 yellow jacket 1% gauges on different manifolds and 1 set of 410/22 that i only use for 410. its rare that i even use the 410 set.

You shouldn't use the temp scale on the gauges anyhow, use a pt chart you will be much more accurate.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    You shouldn't use the temp scale on the gauges anyhow, use a pt chart you will be much more accurate.
    i think they are fine and ill keep using them.

Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    i think they are fine and ill keep using them.
    Looking at Honeywell's AZ-20 R410a R-22 Temperature pressure chart publication # 0525-093-02-08-10K, 45 degree F. on their chart for R410a corresponds to a pressure of 129.8 psig. By blowing up the gauge set where the set is a nice 6 inch gauge giving a more accurate alignment a 45 degree reference is closer to a reading 135 psig. A 129 psig on that gauge align
    ns more closely to a temperature of 43 degrees F. Now the temperature scales on these gauges may give a nice ballpark figure on temperature to pressure but if a ball park figure is what you really want then continue to use the gauge's temperature scale.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Maybe someone should contact Yellow Jacket and let them know their temperature pressure scales on their gauges don't match the charts. Who knows maybe they'll give you a reward.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

On that gauge but the one that Irishmist posted is a different matter

Quote Originally Posted by MechAcc View Post
    On that gauge but the one that Irishmist posted is a different matter
    that one seems to be off a little. if i owned that i would be a little upset.

the links i posted were for someone who said i should not even use the temperature reading on gauges. the link i posted showed temp/pressure on the gauge almost the same as a pt chart. I just dont see the difference in the 1 degree it may have been off depending on the angle you look at the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    My opinion you should never leave refrigerant on your hoses and put them on another unit.

Especially if you are going from 22 to 410a.

But even going on service calls of the same refrigerant, I dont like to spread aids from one unit to another, I perfer to strap it up.... and be sure!

Twilli wonders were does Weber get the guage condoms? Testo make em?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    guage condoms? Testo make em?
    German condoms are too small...... You need a Yellow Jacket
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast