Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When I purchased my home I installed a space gaurd model 2200 on my unit and I am very pleased with it.
    Something I really like about the spacegaurd is that the filters are easy to find and if you take your time easy to install.
    I see a lot of dealer only filters out there (bryant,trane,carrier) they all have them and claim to be the biggest and the best but the truth is the aprilaire works just fine and if you ever switch service companies the new company will have the filter in stock.
    Good luck
    post some before and after pics those are always a treat
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    What kind of dual fuel controller is the installer using? If you are installing a single system with single T-stat, I would suggest you look at the Honeywell IAQ (9421) T-stat.

It will act as the dual fuel controller, as well as humidity and de-humidify, 3 stages of heat and 2 stages of cool, and ventilation.

Let us know how the system works out after it is installed... and pictures! We like pictures!
    Listed on the quote was the Trane TCONT803 T-stat. Is the Honeywell IAQ a significant upgrade over the TCONT803? Since the system I'm getting is fairly basic (no VS motors), would I still want the IAQ over the 803?

Just wanted to say thanks again to all who have responded. I will more than likely get the spaceguard 2200. But I will bring up the airflow issue to my installer to see what he has to say.

And I will definitely be posting pics of the install for you guys to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    Howdy neighbor!

Just curious, do you work for a local company or are you really self employed?
    Yes I am. Worked for the GE/Trane dealer located in downtown W-S 27 yrs. ago.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

love the Honeywell IAQ stat!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Did they check to see if your duct is sized to install one with out restricting air flow too much.
    I agree. Duct has to be checked for correct sizing. I have seen many Spacegaurd 2200 installed that should not be.

Quote Originally Posted by acobra289 View Post
    Listed on the quote was the Trane TCONT803 T-stat. Is the Honeywell IAQ a significant upgrade over the TCONT803? Since the system I'm getting is fairly basic (no VS motors), would I still want the IAQ over the 803?

Just wanted to say thanks again to all who have responded. I will more than likely get the spaceguard 2200. But I will bring up the airflow issue to my installer to see what he has to say.

And I will definitely be posting pics of the install for you guys to check out.
    I would opt for the VS furnace if it were me. Yeah, it will add $$$ to the ticket; but divide the extra cost by 15-20 years of service and see how much it costs then... and if you divide the yearly into 12 months, it will be less than dinner out... There are lots of benefits to a VS furnace, they are more than worth the $$$.

I am not familiar with the Trane #'s, so I cannot do a comparison on the T-stat.

I see that some of my peers are concerned about ductwork, and that is a valid concern. Ask your contractor if he is using transitions (they look like wide funnels) to fit the spacegaurd.

Also, how about those before pictures. We probably could help a bit if we saw what we are dealing with.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Ok, later on today I will post some pics of the current system and the duct work in the garage area.

Thanks.
    Bill M.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Ask your contractor if he is using transitions (they look like wide funnels) to fit the spacegaurd.

Also, how about those before pictures. We probably could help a bit if we saw what we are dealing with.
    Here are a few pics of the current set up. The salesman did say something about using transitions. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm pretty sure they are going to install the spaceguard horizontal. That ok? He said they will have to slide everything out a little bit from where it currently is. The bottom piece has a return on each side.

Check out some of this fine craftsmanship. The AC work is original to the house, which is about 35 years old. The furnace is one that we put in about 15 years ago. Look at the bend on that lineset. How the heck does it even work? I had to put some of that tape on there because of air leaks between the coil and furnace.

Yeah, if there is a return on both sides, the spacegaurd needs to be horizontal. Hopefully your contractor will give you a new lower plenum (metal box) that is the same size as the spacegaurd. Then some way to keep efficient airflow from the filter to the furnace (this would be a good place for the transition--a short square funnel like sheetmetal part about 4-6" tall) and you are all set!

I just got home from running the Peachtree Road Race!!!

http://www.atlantatrackclub.org/at02000.htm

Good time, and the weather was GREAT this year!

Show us some after pictures when it is done.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12