Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Condensate drain (s)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    Is the coil level ? Goodman gas furnace?

TXV looks like spaghetti.
    After furthur review i now see you have airhandler

Dallas TX., what is this a heat pump?

Thought you guys have decent gas rates, oh well.

pic. of the whole setup would be appreciated, allways interesting to see how others install.

Post Likes

Confused

i could be wrong , but it looks like they installed a drain or down spout in the higher outlet of the primary drain and then 90'd it acouple of times so it points straight up. thats pure jake leg. its supposedly for vent , but i don't agree with the need for a vent or an overflow on the higher outlet. maybe if it had another float switch.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I'm not trying to nit pick this install but, you have other issues with this job. It looks a bit on the sloppy side to me.
    I agree. Was this job done by a company or a one man show. If it was a company have the manager come out to have a look, I bet if the company worth anything he will get you fixed up. Oh yeah tell him you are going to release their name to this site if you dont get answers. If it was a one man show, you get what you pay for, most of the time.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    i could be wrong , but it looks like they installed a drain or down spout in the higher outlet of the primary drain and then 90'd it acouple of times so it points straight up. thats pure jake leg. its supposedly for vent , but i don't agree with the need for a vent or an overflow on the higher outlet. maybe if it had another float switch.
    Good catch. I missed that the first time.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes

Talking

for a dollar you can get a 3/4 pvc cap and end your problem, seriously i only charge a dollar!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes

Problem getting resolved?

After hearing about installation being the most important part of the purchasing decision, I did a lot of looking and interviewing before I selected the company I went with. They were not the cheapest!
    However my problems are on-going. The water in the emergency drain pan is coming from the cabinet. The problem lies in several areas. The main drain may not have had the proper slope to operate efficiently. Also, the static pressure was very high, forcing too much return air, causing moisture buildup. The insulation on the inside of the cabinet was wet but not in the plenum.(sp) This is what I observed and have been told by the service mgr who was out here today.
    Solution? They replaced everything between the two plenums, cabinet, coil, blower, drain, etc. The dip switches were set at 400 cfm and the mfg rep said to drop it down to 350. They will be out next week to check the humidity in the living areas and of course, any leaks.
    Is there something I should be asking/on the look out for?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Farm View Post
    After hearing about installation being the most important part of the purchasing decision, I did a lot of looking and interviewing before I selected the company I went with. They were not the cheapest!
    However my problems are on-going. The water in the emergency drain pan is coming from the cabinet. The problem lies in several areas. The main drain may not have had the proper slope to operate efficiently. Also, the static pressure was very high, forcing too much return air, causing moisture buildup. The insulation on the inside of the cabinet was wet but not in the plenum.(sp) This is what I observed and have been told by the service mgr who was out here today.
    Solution? They replaced everything between the two plenums, cabinet, coil, blower, drain, etc. The dip switches were set at 400 cfm and the mfg rep said to drop it down to 350. They will be out next week to check the humidity in the living areas and of course, any leaks.
    Is there something I should be asking/on the look out for?
    Thanks
    What to look out for? Companies like this one. That's a lot of equipment to replace for a water leak.

Post Likes
    The main drain may not have had the proper slope to operate efficiently. Also, the static pressure was very high, forcing too much return air, causing moisture buildup. The insulation on the inside of the cabinet was wet but not in the plenum.(sp)
    Just the problem i got on my service call ,this afternoon , the same symtoms , the Magnehelic Guage said it all : .48 to static for R/A + Supply . &.30 R/A and .18 Supply The water would not drain, stays in the cabinet , motor on low Speed , sweting on the botton of the cabinet , even put the the low side of the guage into the drain pipe , and .60 throught there , So Need more R/A into the 4 ton H/P .
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Post Likes
    Mr. Wrangler-
    I'm confused, maybe I didn't pick the best company but I thought replacing all the components would be the sign of a good company. They seem to be going overboard to fix the problem. Not having a problem is the best case but how much is the average homeowner able to do?
    Derbysr-
    What kind of system do you have? Mine is an Amana 16 SEER heat pump with variable speed compressor and air handler.

Thanks to all

Post Likes
    Mr. Wrangler-
    I'm confused, maybe I didn't pick the best company but I thought replacing all the components would be the sign of a good company. They seem to be going overboard to fix the problem. Not having a problem is the best case but how much is the average homeowner able to do?
    Derbysr-
    What kind of system do you have? Mine is an Amana 16 SEER heat pump with variable speed compressor and air handler.

Thanks to all
    I guess I must have missed something here. I thought that this was a system change out. A drainage problem really isn't rocket science. Changing everything most likely won't fix the original problem. Don't get me wrong, you as a home owner have done about all you could do. To me it seems pointless to start changing out parts untill you get lucky and "fix" the root cause. For sure it's costing them time and money, but I would have approached things in a different manner.

Post Likes
    Its a Rudd H/P sorry to say this , is the first install i had problems like this , from the many i have done , but the good news is , got a support Team , that will get going and we will fix it at "no expense" to the customer. This is the one out of seven H/P in this property.
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Post Likes
    Mine is an Amana 16 SEER heat pump with variable speed compressor and air handler.

Have them check Speed setting on the fan motor inside , plus R/A : what size are you're filters ?
    Last edited by derbysr; 07-08-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    Good catch. I missed that the first time.
    This is your Drain Problem... just cap the higher port.

Post Likes
    Mr. Wrangler-
    You are corrrect, it was a system change out. The insulation inside the cabinet was wet and I expressed concern over mold so they changed out the whole system. The fix is to change the cfm dip switch settings and to redo the drains. (we hope)
    Crazy mountain biker-
    Are you saying to put a cap on the secondary drain that was shown in the picture? I thought it was supposed to be a vent. Help me understand how your fix would help.
    Thanks to all

Post Likes
    Mr. Wrangler-
    You are corrrect, it was a system change out. The insulation inside the cabinet was wet and I expressed concern over mold so they changed out the whole system. The fix is to change the cfm dip switch settings and to redo the drains. (we hope)
    Crazy mountain biker-
    Are you saying to put a cap on the secondary drain that was shown in the picture? I thought it was supposed to be a vent. Help me understand how your fix would help.
    Thanks to all
    I'm a small operation.I HAVE to get it right the first go round. If I don't, I don't eat. Not only that, this situation would cause me to loose a customer, as I can't afford to install two units for the price of one. That being said, it appears they are jumping thrugh all the hoops, and ringing all the bells.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derbysr View Post
    Mine is an Amana 16 SEER heat pump with variable speed compressor and air handler.

Have them check Speed setting on the fan motor inside , plus R/A : what size are you're filters ?
    Derbysh-
    Thanks, will do. One filter, 4" wide, 20x25.

Post Likes

now that we have the filter size need to know .....

Gives us the unit model # inside and outside to find out "if" you got the proper R/A .
    You're installers are really going overboard to fix this problem ,that is "Good customer service ".
    I question what they have done so far, becuase they have not arrived at the solution .
    Who is perfect ? it took us 4 tries (8 Hrs total time on the Job ) ,to find the solution , and by this i mean + 4 hrs yesterday with the "support team", photos,an erasable board for drawing the actual job,dimensions of duck board size,mathematical equations and this meeting was the most productive we ever have had , becuase they were 4 other people involved with different opinions, but we will say the # dont lie .
    The conclusion is : missed it by X CFM on R/A , WHY: becuase of static pressure on that particular equipment + Grills by FPM on the R/A .
    These are countless hrs of education, (trial and error from my part ), that the customer is not even aware of , from the perspective side of our wonderfull business to make "all" customers happy and comfortable in their homes ,cars ,business..
    So Mr Roland Farm please be patient with the contractor for he will arrive at the problem and solved sonner or later .

Post Likes

model numbers

derbysr-
    Thanks for your thoughts and words of encouragement on staying patient. I have not lost my temper with anyone and have continued to offer cold drinks and positive thoughts to the techs that come out here. However, I have been very firm and direct with sales and management.

The most skilled tech (Joe) came out during the new install and gave the crew specific advice about what to do. He left about half way thru thinking that everything should go OK from here. That night I couldn't get the A/C to turn off. Seems as though they wired it for an AC only vs a heat pump. The next day Joe came back and fixed the wiring and all seems OK now.
    Now that they have pulled the unit out at my request because of mold concerns, Amana has asked them to return the unit to the factory. They don't understand why it was blowing so much water.
    I got a call from the salesman, the President of the company and the sevice mgr thanking me for my patience and telling me that they would earn my trust back. Joe volunteered to come back next week on his own time to recheck the system. As I said before, this is an employee owned company.
    This is the unit that was installed and the components:

HIGH EFFICIENCY – (Amana 16 SEER Heat Pump): (1) 5 ton system, ARI #1076513
    Furnish and install Amana High Efficiency Evaporator Coil (CHPF4860D)
    Furnish and install Amana variable speed air handler (MBE2000-1)
    In summary, I think there were a couple of mistakes made on the install (even tho I grilled the sales and service mgr about that because of what I have read on this forum) and maybe the unit was faulty.

Post Likes

I wonder .........

Let me get this straight :
    1st 20X25 with 4" filter (pleaded probaly or electronic )
    2nd 5 ton Unit outside
    3rd Coil/Evaporator inside to match the condernser outside.
    4th Variable Speed Air Handler.
    All this is a H/P .
    You have "only" 1 Return Air ?
    Now we are getting to the basics of what is there and what they can work with.
    If this info is right then ...............

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derbysr View Post
    Let me get this straight :
    1st 20X25 with 4" filter (pleaded probaly or electronic )
    2nd 5 ton Unit outside
    3rd Coil/Evaporator inside to match the condernser outside.
    4th Variable Speed Air Handler.
    All this is a H/P .
    You have "only" 1 Return Air ?
    Now we are getting to the basics of what is there and what they can work with.
    If this info is right then ...............
    Money can be earned back easily, but a reputation developed over years can be wiped away instantly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in