Thread: Having issues with Air NOT Kicking on automatically...

Post Likes

Having issues with Air NOT Kicking on automatically...

Hi Everyone ...

I have an upstairs and downstairs heat pump unit ... They are basic models and I can get the model names and #'s if that will help ...

My thermostats are just the plain jane Janitrol units that you slide back and forth for the desired temp (mercury filled level) ...

My upstairs unit over the past year or two has developed an issue where once you set the thermostat to say 74 degrees, then the upper level cools to that temp and the unit shuts off ... Well, sometimes as the upstairs begins getting warmer and the temp readout on the thermostat gets warmer, the unit will not kick on ... (this doesn't happen all the time but it does most of the time)

So, I have a neighbor that had the exact thermostats installed in him home and he had swapped out the thermostats a while back. I removed the upstairs therm. and installed one of his ... and I still get the same response ... I would have thought the thermostat was just going bad ... but it seems that it must be something else ...

Another interesting piece of info is that this doesn't happen during the winter when the heat is being used ... only in the summer when the A/C is used ...

Anyone got any ideas???

Thanks,
    TIM

Post Likes
    This is not a DIY site, so wuestions of this nature will not be answered.
    Please read the rules, Thank you.

Call a contractor before it becomes a serious problem, and does effect the heat.

Post Likes

Cool

You should have it checked, but if you noticed when you took off the thermostat there's 4-6 wires on it and for the cooling you're going to be using the Y terminal... so if that wire is yellow let's say then it might have been bent and/or twisted so that you get contact some of the time but not all of the time. Just like if you have two wires in a wire nut that arent properly secured. I'll walk up to a unit that is not running and tap the wire and it comes on. Not saying that the Y wire is def. to blame, but it's got to be something electrical. Does the fan come on but not the compressor... is it a package unit or split heat pump? Also that wire can be bent at any point along the whole wire, so replacing the whole wire might be an option...

Post Likes
    Where are you at in NC???
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes

Cool

Great, I just posted, LOL...

Post Likes

Homeowners

More homeowners mess things up more than they fix things.Not that I am complaining because the more they mess up the more we make.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dj3901783 View Post
    Great, I just posted, LOL...
    Maybe YOU should read the no DIY rules.

Post Likes
    Thanks ... didn't read ... I'm in the Raleigh area by the way ...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_in_NC View Post
    Thanks ... didn't read ... I'm in the Raleigh area by the way ...
    Theres a freakin million contractors in Raleigh. Find one. Have them do the work. That way you don't screw it up. Just sit back and enjoy.

If your smart enough, you will ask a lot of questions for the technician that comes out. And get a Honeywell stat if you have a choice.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dj3901783 View Post
    You should have it checked, but if you noticed when you took off the thermostat there's 4-6 wires on it and for the cooling you're going to be using the Y terminal... so if that wire is yellow let's say then it might have been bent and/or twisted so that you get contact some of the time but not all of the time. Just like if you have two wires in a wire nut that arent properly secured. I'll walk up to a unit that is not running and tap the wire and it comes on. Not saying that the Y wire is def. to blame, but it's got to be something electrical. Does the fan come on but not the compressor... is it a package unit or split heat pump? Also that wire can be bent at any point along the whole wire, so replacing the whole wire might be an option...

You are awfully quick to jump to conclusions. I would guess being a mercury Tstat that the small board inside is on the fritz. Or that the brass terminals that the wires secure to are dirty thus not making a reliable connection.

But then again, I would want to see it first before making any judgement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in