Thread: Warranty Questions

Post Likes

Warranty Questions

I purchased new furnace last winter, but did not have the AC done because it still works. So basically my hvac system is a loveable mutt -- new Trane furnace and an old Carrier AC. The new furnace is covered under the 10 year warranty.

Eventually I will get the AC replaced, and will likely get a Trane. My question is, how will the warranty(s) work? I assume I will have two -- one for the furnace, and one for the AC. Also, if the AC install is done by a different company, will they have to do the warranty work on the AC, while the furnace install company has to do the furnace work?

Post Likes
    You will have a separate warranty for the new a/c that will not affect the furnace warranty.

It may be a good idea to stick with the company that installed your furnace. Mainly because your a/c may not start because of an issue with the furnace control. You dont want to spend time figuring out who to call, and getting double billed for a service fee if your a/c goes out.
    White Bear Township, Minnesota
    www.summitheating.com

Post Likes
    As above. If you want to get an extended warranty on thr A/C, should be same company as furnace.

Post Likes
    Appreciate the responses -- very helpful.

So, is warranty work basically exclusive to the installing company? Can it be taken over by another company? Or is that a no-no?

Post Likes
    If its a Trane factory extended warranty, it can be transfered to another Trane dealer.
    If its a warranty by that dealer, nope.

Post Likes
    It's not a dealer's warranty -- hey, give me some credit, I'd have figured that out .

Post Likes
    Well good for you...

You should look into the warranty. Most warranties must having matching equipment. This includes Air Handlers.

Just curious as to why you may be swithing contractors???
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Well good for you...

You should look into the warranty. Most warranties must having matching equipment. This includes Air Handlers.

Just curious as to why you may be swithing contractors???
    In all likelihood, I won't be. We have a service contract with the company that installed the furnace, and have been pretty happy with them. I'm just curious about how these things work.

So when you talk about matching equipment, do you mean that I will have narrower options on the AC side, based on my furnace make and model?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    In all likelihood, I won't be. We have a service contract with the company that installed the furnace, and have been pretty happy with them. I'm just curious about how these things work.

So when you talk about matching equipment, do you mean that I will have narrower options on the AC side, based on my furnace make and model?
    yes the systems need to match. Which mainly applies to new equipment on old equipment. A new heat pump with old air handler. something like that.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    yes the systems need to match. Which mainly applies to new equipment on old equipment. A new heat pump with old air handler. something like that.
    OK, that makes sense. The new furnace is an xv95, 80k -- not sure of the exact serial number.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in