Thread: Noise of whole house dehumidifier

Post Likes

Noise of whole house dehumidifier

How noisy are they?
    I have a small house, only about 1000 sq ft to dehumidify. But for allergy reasons I need to get the humidity really low, like 45%, about 50 pints/day dehumidifier is recommended for that apparently.
    The whole house dehumidifiers I've seen are a lot bigger than that, like 90-120 pints/day.
    Are such things loud? Do they have dBA ratings?
    It occurred to me that with that noisy whirlpool beast I had, the noise was from the fan. A cheap fan is loud. You could only tell if the compressor was on by listening closely.
    So maybe a whole house dehumidifier isn't loud. It would be using my furnace fan, right? Turning it off and on as it needs to?
    Does the compressor make a lot of noise?
    My furnace fan is about 51 dBA. I don't want much more noise than that in my garage, the bedroom is next to it and the noise of the furnace fan is about as much noise as I want in the next room.
    I guess a whole house dehumidifier would be in the garage? Unlike a central AC which would be outside, and one really shouldn't hear b/c of that?
    thanks
    Laura

Post Likes
    Sorry< I missed this quesstion. Our dehus are like window a/cs. Our dBA ratings are 47-49 dBA. Depending on the model, ducting and surrounding with 3/4" plywood surround reduces the noise further. I have a Santa Fe Advance in my basement under my bedroom and it is not objectionable. Ultra-Aire line is usually ducted and quiet. The dehus are not a load as an air handler. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Sorry< I missed this quesstion. Our dehus are like window a/cs. Our dBA ratings are 47-49 dBA. Depending on the model, ducting and surrounding with 3/4" plywood surround reduces the noise further. I have a Santa Fe Advance in my basement under my bedroom and it is not objectionable. Ultra-Aire line is usually ducted and quiet. The dehus are not a load as an air handler. Regards TB
    Where did you get the dBA rating from? I called Thermastor and left a message for Cliff asking for a dBA measurement for the Ultra-Aire 65-pint and I haven't heard back from him.
    47-49 dBA is very good! Was that right next to the unit when it's working, or some distance down ductwork, or how was it measured? All but a few of the portable dehumidifiers are louder than that! My furnace fan is about 53 dBA standing right in the area. Did Thermastor measure the dBA of their fans? The customer service person who answered didn't have that info.
    I can sleep with the furnace fan going in the garage but I wouldn't want anything much louder in the garage, there doesn't seem to be much sound barrier between the garage and my living space. Things upstairs can be pretty loud and they won't bother me downstairs, the floor seems to be a good sound barrier.
    Laura

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in