Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
    You guys got slow down I'm an old fart I cant type that fast lol

First thing I did when I figured it was the water tank,[less than 5 min] was put my cig up there and that's all it took.
    Thats when I called the installer to give him the good and bad news.
    I did indeed remove the sealed sections, and retested to make sure.

And that was only a 24cu.in. leak , but that's what is making the difference between "back drafting" and not!!!!!!!

He knew that I'm not an idiot, and that the problem was only created by that single incident, and that "undoing" it , [and I even opened it up some more] would "alleviate" the issue. As i said I rechecked it several time's and it's not back drafting any more.

Duct leakage trouble was brought up sometime ago.

If you left that supply that brole open, that caused some of the back draft trouble tou had but not all of it.

It sounds like you have a lot of leakage on both the return and supply ducts.
    Untill they are fixed, your system will not cool right.

Taking temp readings right at the unit instead of at grilles, generally shows sevre duct leakage like yours fairly quick.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Duct leakage trouble was brought up sometime ago.
    Yes I understand, but now someone has grasp the picture of what the duct configuration is.

That where I seem to be at, needing to understand if that "type" of duct will serve me with this unit and home setup with the simple modifications, instead of "rip it all out" and have new put in.

Extended plenum trunks are working fine in many places with simular set ups to yours.

Your the victim of a bad install. And bad service.
    A few simple test/checks should have found the duct leak problem very quickly.
    Contractor locator map

I got ahold of 3 HVAC sheetmetal and they will give me an assement of what need's to be done with the ductwork.

Hopefully I wont be feed a line of B.S.!!

Post their proposal ideas when you get them.
    Contractor locator map

Post their proposal ideas when you get them.
    Will do

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Do you have the name of the person at Goodman you are dealing with?
    It is Robin at the Consumer Affairs Dept.

She said that the installer has been contacted to get in touch with the local distributor, to have them set up an appointment, with the regional Goodman Tech Rep to come with him to evaluate the situation.....................

I asked if it is some local "person", but she just kept saying the same thing over

Well today I contacted 4 HVAC sheet metal and 1 was to be here @ 1:30,...no show.
    About 5:00 a contact called and after a brief discussion, he decided to come by and the first thing he did...................................

Tape measure!!!!!!!!!!

then we finished our talk about the highlights[lowlights]] of the situation.
    Came felt the flow from ALL the vents, looked in the return, seen the space from the joist openings, looked a quick glance at the current ductwork.
    He was baffled about the back draft also, and is going to keep in mind the situation of too much heat load upstairs, all seasons.

He did some brief calcs and See's about 1/3 less of return area, and said the equipment is really topnotch for us.

He'll do some workups and get back in touch next week and may want to really look over the duct work to give a best easement.
    He said they do not like to have flex duct in crawl spaces at all unless it's absolutely needed, and then only enough to be warranted to control a hard situation.

Leaning to see about adding return upstairs, and maybe another set of vents in each bedroom.

I showed him where my exhaust stack goes thru a covey built out in the garage may be able to do another at the adjacent joist set to get upstairs!

Turned out he's the owner of the local lifelong shop. Grandpa>Dad>Him

Is this guy sound like he wants to fix the situation enough to balance, or kinda B.Sing somewhat?

We explained that we are still active in looking to move to a newer home, just finding one built as well as this[ which he commented that for this age, it's about the best construction he's seen] just lacking some of the modern energy amenities!

Not sure what you mean by"see 1/3 less return".
    Is he planning on installing all new duct work in the crawlspace.
    Contractor locator map

Not sure what you mean by"see 1/3 less return".
    Is he planning on installing all new duct work in the crawlspace.
    He said that I've already found that you only have 2/3 of return surface area{sq.in.] and that I need about approx.100 more sq.in.

I said "is that based on the fact the blower is set on the highest speed"??

He told me that no, it's not a bunch of rocket science it's just a simple calculation.

He was earlier taking notes of the upstairs sizes of the rooms etc, even the ones i told him about my stairwell size ceiling hight, walkway sizes and stuff.

I assume that sizing, or the fact of the "1400" cfm thats needed or something.

He didn't "seem" to indicate that he thought of changing "all" the ductwork, but "emphasized" they do not use that flex duct under a home.

He really just squeezed me into a call that was 2-3 blocks from me, and did a quick lookover to grasp part of the "it's doing what?".

It will take him a few days to get back over to do a thorough look over the duct work, and is going to "run thru" some ideas, including putting return vent upstairs, and possibly vent in both bedrooms.

Ok.
    When he comes back he should have some idea of what he needs to do, to get your system to work better.
    Contractor locator map

The installer was here and said now that my duct is too big, and that it would handle a 4ton unitconfused:

He has now set the fan[GMH8] to med-low that he was told by Goodman is 1364CFM, Med is 1700 CFM, and Hi is 2456CFM.

I again inquired about the "tool" that is needed to measure the "static pressure" and was reminded that they cost a couple thousand dollars.

I said I thought I understood that is why the tech rep was to come because they have those tools.

He said that "he" sets the static pressure with the size of the duct system.

He feels that if he changes the "mixing box" from the 18hx22wx35L to a "split and taper to meet the 20x8 off the butt end, and the "splitter" to feed the 16x8 that is at a 90* off the current box.

Also have some data.

West side wall OT 135*
    Same wall inside 72-74* across 2 rooms, 1 room with a vent blowing up at a pair of windows which was 75*

Interior upstairs wall was 68*

1 Duct upstairs moving 551fpm
    1 Downstairs 460fpm

Humidity was up at 77% compared to 60something before at same vent.

Again I had to remove the seal as before due to draft.

@robotec, he said something about the "tech rep" someone from St.Louis Mo, getting old and gonna retire........................

edit
    Also said no need to add ant return upstairs, or add any air vents.
    Did all this work on sizing with a Duct Calculator wheel.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast