Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I'm sorry, but you have way too much wrong information being tossed around and way too much irrelevant data. You need to get an HVAC professional who knows what they are doing and STOP playing pseudo engineering games. There is not much data that you have posted that makes much sense. It's like reading notes from someone who is reading a technical manual but has no idea what it is they are reading.

DO WHAT I TOLD YOU TO DO MANY POSTS AGO! HAVE THE AIR FLOW ADJUSTED TO BELOW 1400 CFM AND THEN HAVE THE REFRIGERANT CHARGE PROPERLY ADJUSTED TO THE MANUFACTURER'S REQUIRED SUPERHEAT AND SUBCOOLING.

All you are doing is screwing your equipment up and putting a boatload of damaging moisture into your home. Stop it!
    And button up that house! It's hard not to get frustrated at a call when people complain that properly installed equipment isn't running right, when their house has more air leaks than a treehouse. That should have been your first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by revin View Post
    I understand that the ductalator is only for telling what a given size of duct will allow x amount of air flow

That's kinda where I want to understand now if just makeing the current duct allow "1400" cfm that I keep seeing about.

Is that an easy way to help, as suggested to allow another xx amount of air unload from the trunk that has the lesser amount of air passing thru now? To equal the "1400" cfm?.
    If the static pressure of the system is at .5", which is unlikely but let's go with this value until we know what the real static pressure is, then that blower unit set on the medium-low setting (most likely a yellow wire) will provide approximately 1350 cfm of air. This would be a good setting for a 3.5 ton system.

This system is in the horizontal position. How is the return air ducted into it? Is it in an attic or a crawlspace? Is the ducting insulated? This is a lot of heat for the space intended to be conditioned, what was the criteria for so much heat?

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    And button up that house! It's hard not to get frustrated at a call when people complain that properly installed equipment isn't running right, when their house has more air leaks than a treehouse. That should have been your first priority.
    You are, of course, absolutely correct. Unfortunately, if this is done, the system will then be even more oversized then it is at the moment. I'm not sure that I wouldn't have everything removed, as you have put it; "button up the house properly", have a proper load calculation done and have the proper sized (more then likely a 70-90,000 Btu furnace with a three ton blower drive and three ton cooling system). Mr. revin has indicated that the equipment supplier will not take back the existing equipment, which makes me wonder who purchased this equipment from that supplier; revin or the contractor.

Woah now, easy
    I have nothing to do with this HVAC except helping to remove the old unit, and help get the new handler under the house.
    Installer stated that he only does this part time now, and about 20 30 a year. That why the dist. Said they can,t take it back.
    Sounds like BS to me.
    Beside,s everyone is saying that this is big enough........right?

As far as the "tightness" of the house, this aint no shack. It,s a very nice well built home that was built by the contrator for himself.

Granted, it lacks dual pane windows, and wrap, but it has stood unscathed to storms that have been devisating to others!

When I installed my new doors I filled the space with foam to stop air. That alone was a huge help.

On the fact that air311, is that not the standard to factor "leakage"?

Too bad my installer didn't, and shame on you if you don't.

THAT'S WHAT I PAY FOR!!!!!! To have it done correctly the first time, or atleast the 2nd or 3rd!

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    You are, of course, absolutely correct. Unfortunately, if this is done, the system will then be even more oversized then it is at the moment. I'm not sure that I wouldn't have everything removed, as you have put it; "button up the house properly", have a proper load calculation done and have the proper sized (more then likely a 70-90,000 Btu furnace with a three ton blower drive and three ton cooling system). Mr. revin has indicated that the equipment supplier will not take back the existing equipment, which makes me wonder who purchased this equipment from that supplier; revin or the contractor.
    Yep. We've been dealing with a customer that had the same problem. Bought an old, basically uninsulated house 4 years ago. First thing he did was have someone replace the hvac system, new A/C and furnace. They oversized it, put in a 3 ton when he barely needed 2.5 tons. Called us 2 months ago, complaining that the A/C never worked right last year, we go to the house, figure it out quickly that the system is oversized. He says we don't know what we're talking about. Well..last week he calls again, after he had installed new, energy star windows, insulated the attic, and put up new drywall with some actual insulation underneath. SURPRISE! He said his A/C was running worse than before, and maybe we did know what we were talking about. Now we get to fix his mess. Anyway..you have the same problem. Went about the whole process backwards. As for the supplier not taking back the equipment..that does seem strange. Most suppliers, around here at least, will take back wrongly sized equipment and replace it with the right size stuff. It only makes business sense.

Insulation has nothing to do with a house withstanding a storm. And try screening your contractors a little better. People will screen roofers, plumbers, and electricians, and a lot of times hire someone based on credentials instead of cost. Yet, when it comes to their HVAC, they only want the lowest bidder.

Supplier should have nothing to do with taking back equipment that a contractor sized wrong.
    Its the contractor that should eat the unit. Not the supplier.(unless teh supplier sized it).
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I went about it backwards??????

I had a furnace blow out, and needed replaced. Both installers recomended we do a total swap, since we told them that it is always hot upstairs and cold downstairs.

It was me to rely on their judgement about what we need to have done.

Turns out that now what I hear from this "30 yr vetern, is that "I put right back in what you had before!!!????

I'm not going to justify spending ten times the cost to "upgrade" my house, to just get the HVAC installed.

We made it clear that were not going to be staying here for many yrs, as we have been activly looking for a new home

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Insulation has nothing to do with a house withstanding a storm. And try screening your contractors a little better. People will screen roofers, plumbers, and electricians, and a lot of times hire someone based on credentials instead of cost. Yet, when it comes to their HVAC, they only want the lowest bidder.
    Let me make it more clear,

The installer has 30 yrs of experience in HVAC and also did teaching, plus is a University Maintenance chief.

The person that recommended him to me said that he has worked for many many people installing systems that he knows, and all had praise for him.

Another thing is that when someone had any problems, new or old, he was there the next day to fix them, even on systems that are not his.
    That my friend is called service........ and you cant put a price on that!!!

He was not the cheapest price.

Ok, so why do you have to wait till Monday for him to come back.

Why is your system not working right.

How many days has it been since you contacted him about this problem, and its still not corrected yet.

Save your praise for him until its fixed, or replaced. And you find out what it cost you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Revin, since you are so fond of making the statement; "let me make this clear", while all the time being extremely unclear and continually changing the conditions of your home, let me make "this" clear; that 30 year veteran HVAC installer you are so fond of does not know what he is doing based on what you have posted here.

Why in the hell are you arguing with all of us if you are so infactuated with the decisions and work process provided by the person who installed the mess you currently have?

Just tell us what it is you expect from us! We have given you all kinds of very good advice and you have done nothing but argue with us and change the alleged conditions of your house. Again; what is it you want here?

In my posititon as a manufacturer's troubleshooting rep (several brands represented) I have run into quite a few 30 year veterans of the HVAC trade who have been making the same mistakes for 30 years and never have the time to learn about new equipment and new processes.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Ok, so why do you have to wait till Monday for him to come back.

Why is your system not working right.

How many days has it been since you contacted him about this problem, and its still not corrected yet.

Save your praise for him until its fixed, or replaced. And you find out what it cost you.
    His family is dealing with a grave situation recently.
    As I posted lastnight, he came by and did a quick check, and now informed me about the family situation[which my co-worker confirmed] and that he had forgot to get with the Goodman tech Rep, since I hadn't been calling him.

He has the rep scheduled to come with him Monday to help decide what needs to be done.

Now then we have an update in the last hr.
    I discovered where the Return sheetmetal is attached to the bottem of the joist had a boo-boo.
    2 of the flanges for the side of the joist were 1" off, so there was 24" of open space found!

I proceded to seal them up as well as more sections of the mixing box and trunk connections.

Then i'm sitting here and keep smelling something....................................

Quote Originally Posted by revin View Post
    His family is dealing with a grave situation recently.
    As I posted lastnight, he came by and did a quick check, and now informed me about the family situation[which my co-worker confirmed] and that he had forgot to get with the Goodman tech Rep, since I hadn't been calling him.

He has the rep scheduled to come with him Monday to help decide what needs to be done.

Now then we have an update in the last hr.
    I discovered where the Return sheetmetal is attached to the bottem of the joist had a boo-boo.
    2 of the flanges for the side of the joist were 1" off, so there was 24" of open space found!

I proceded to seal them up as well as more sections of the mixing box and trunk connections.

Then i'm sitting here and keep smelling something....................................
    What's the name of the Goodman rep. You are in Missouri right? If this is a rep actually working for Goodman and not someone working out of a local supply house, I may know him.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast