Question Old System SEER/EER ARI Help

Based on the advice of the good pros in my previous thread http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174676 here, I have selected a contractor and chosen a new system.

The new system is ARI Ref. 1019529 with Lennox XC16-048-230 condenser and Lennox G60UHV furnace with Aspen CC60D44+TDR coil yields 48000 Btuh 12.50 EER and 17.00 SEER. Price includes Lennox Comfortsense 7000 thermostat and a four inch media filter, along with ten years part/labor extended warranty.

Now for my question. I am trying to figure out what the efficiency of my old (1995) system is just for grins to estimate potential energy savings using http://www.hvacopcost.com/.

I have tried and tried to enter the old system data into the ARI web site and can't get any hits in the database. Here are old system specs.

Carrier 38TDA048300 condenser (I have an old sticker that says this is a 15.3 SEER condenser)
    Carrier 58WAV091-16 furnace
    Carrier CD5AXC048000AAAA coil (Has big blue Carrier badge on housing, but I see Resco on the model number sticker)

Any help with this would be appreciated. If this old system data is not in the ARI database, can anybody offer a guess what SEER/EER would be for my old system.

Thanks to those who offered advice in the previous thread. I spent quite a bit of time reading old threads before I called for proposals and it was extremely helpful.

P.S. I have seen the threads regarding some personal prefs on the Lennox vs. Aspen coil and considered the issues. But the 5-ton Aspen coil gets me to 17 SEER and $1,000 from the city, so it seems worth the risk with the Aspen coil. I recognize this improved efficiency with the Aspen coil may just be an "estimate" on paper... but if it gets me $1,000 rebate... it seems worth a shot.
    Last edited by Weaselboy; 06-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Check out this thread: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175023 -- You may want to go with the VisionPRO IAQ thermostat instead.

Do you know if that was a variable-speed furnace? Looking at Carrier's product data, I don't see your particular matchup. If it wasn't a variable-speed furnace with that 2-speed condenser, I can't see it being very efficient. Some of the variable-speed furnace matchups were in the 13-15 SEER range (give or take a bit).

ARI's current data base doesn't have those earlier models.

I did see that thread, but have not seen a definitive answer if the Lennox 7000 has equivalent humidity controls as the IAQ. I have been watching that thread for an answer.

The Carrier furnace is a single speed blower. That said, do you have a guess on efficiency?

The fact I was never offered a variable speed furnace to go with this (at the time high end) Carrier two-stage condenser unit is why I did not even call the installer of the Carrier system back for a proposal this time around.

Thanks for your reply.

The Carrier furnace is a single speed blower. That said, do you have a guess on efficiency?
    That condenser should have been mated with a v/s blower to begin with, as you mentioned. Without any ARI or Carrier data to use as a reference, I'm not sure what efficiency you may be getting. Hopefully someone else can give a good guess... Why are you replacing the system, out of curiousity? Did it break on you?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    That condenser should have been mated with a v/s blower to begin with, as you mentioned. Without any ARI or Carrier data to use as a reference, I'm not sure what efficiency you may be getting. Hopefully someone else can give a good guess... Why are you replacing the system, out of curiousity? Did it break on you?
    Evap coil is leaking and I could not see paying for new evap coil on 13 year old system, so figured would just replace the whole system.

Thanks for your reply.